MA LTC A holder shooting at NH range

If I am a MA LTC A holder who owns my own weapon, can I legally bring my weapon across the border into NH and shoot at a NH range? I heard that I would need to get a NH non-resident permit in order to do this. I have been shooting at the Manchester Firing Line because I do not have a membership anywhere in MA yet. They never said anything to me at the range, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

You would need a NH non-resident permit if you wish to carry a concealed firearm or have a loaded firearm in your car, IIRC. Otherwise, no license is needed for the mere possession of a firearm.

If I am a MA LTC A holder who owns my own FIREARM, can I legally bring my GUN across the border into NH and shoot at a NH range? I heard that I would need to get a NH non-resident permit in order to do this. I have been shooting at the Manchester Firing Line because I do not have a membership anywhere in MA yet. They never said anything to me at the range, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

First off lets not get the anti's in a bunch. I fixed your post..

You can legally posses an unloaded rifle, shotgun, and handgun in NH without a license. You can even open carry your loaded handgun. Note: inside a vehicle is considered concealed.

--Mike

Ok so driving into NH with my gun not loaded and in a locked box heading to the range is considered concealled?? Therefore needing a NH permit??

Ok so driving into NH with my gun not loaded and in a locked box heading to the range is considered concealled?? Therefore needing a NH permit??

No! that would be fine.

You only need a license if you want to CC. What you described would be an acceptable means of transport.

No, only loaded pistols need a license. Loaded long guns=bad in a vehicle.

You do not even need them locked in NH.

You can legally posses an unloaded rifle, shotgun, and handgun in NH without a license. You can even open carry your loaded handgun. Note: inside a vehicle is considered concealed.

--Mike

not quite. Unloaded and locked in a container in the trunk is *not* considered concealed, The definition of concealed hinges on the firearm being loaded.

Yeah, just toss everything in the trunk and make sure it's unloaded. One of these days I'll get around to getting my NH license.

Just remember: Pull the car over as soon as you cross the state line, retrieve gun from trunk, load it, carry it openly on your hip, then pee back across the state line onto Massachusetts.

When no one's looking.

Not this again. [grin] The RSAs in NH have -nothing- to do with concealment in regards to motor vehicle carry- and everything to do with the status of whether or not the handgun is loaded or not.

This sounds like a nitpick but it is important- because if it had to do with concealment, then there would be a way of satisfying that requirement while still being able to keep a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle- and there is not, at least not without the exemption provided by being an NH permit holder.

-Mike

One day while driving in NH, I spotted a P/U truck in front of me with a revolver hanging from a rifle rack hook (thru the trigger guard [shocked] ) in the rear window.

It was a "head scratcher" until I learned of NH law wrt "inside a vehicle is considered concealed". He obviously didn't have a NH permit (NH tags on truck).

Do NOT try this at home boys and girls!!!!!! It is an extremely dangerous and stupid thing to do if the gun was loaded, and still not so bright if it wasn't loaded.

NH permits are cheap ($10 for residents/$20 for NRs), easy to get and relatively quick (especially when one considers how long many wait for a MA LTC). Just get one, strap it on and don't worry about it when in NH.

No need to make it more confusing than necessary. Inside a vehicle is not considered concealed in NH. There are two separate sections of NH law. One prohibits concealed carry of a loaded firearm without a permit. The other prohibits possession of a loaded firearm in a vehicle without a permit.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom