• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA LTC/A Applying for CT Permit

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum but I've been around on a couple of others on the 'net (notably www.rugerforum.com using the same nick) for a while. I have a MA Class A LTC with no restrictions and I want to apply for my CT non-resident permit. The process that I've read about thusfar seems fairly straightforward and as I didn't experience any hangups with my MA LTC/A I'm hoping that will be the case with my CT permit.

One of the main reasons I want the permit is that I live very close to the CT state line, literally within walking distance. Should I mention that as one of the reasons on my application? Part of my reason for wanting the permit is because I don't want to run afoul of CT law if I should inadvertently cross the CT line during what to me are local drives. In fact, one of the most common routes I take back home from I-84 causes me to traverse very briefly across the state line. Other than that, it's "all normal purposes."

Any words of advice?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Any words of advice?

While technically "may issue" CT is about as close to get as "shall issue" as you get get without it actually being so. Need is not considered so do you not have to convince them that you have a special reason, or are an important and connected person, to get a CT LTC. As long as youdon't have anything "interesting" in your background you won't have any problem.

Non-residents no longer have to apply for a town permit first. Details at http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&q=294502

The course requirement is a bit more rigorous that the MA one, and the Home Firearms Safety course typically used to obtain a MA LTC is not sufficient.

Thanks, that's what I hoped to hear. No, there's nothing "interesting" in my background, it's very boring in terms of anything risque - but that's a good thing here in the North East when going through the steps required by the laws here. My MA Class A LTC took 3 months to get and I performed a preemptive background check on myself first, just to make sure I hadn't missed anything like some stupid unpaid ticket or something. I submitted my application only after I'd satsifed myself that I didn't have any loose ends, even the smallest ones. I took NRA Basic Pistol with the live fire, the full 10 hours, at my local range, and passed with 100% on the exam., I shot for years in high school and was captain of my school's smallbore 3-position team in suburban New Jersey. As I said I mostly want the CT license so that I don't have trouble when I drive a few miles away from my home and so that I can attend events in CT. I would think I'd be a good candidate for the permit.

Last edited:
Yep, if you can get a Mass License, you can get a CT one..does the app even ask for reasons? If so put all lawful purposes or self defense..

Last edited:
Thanks fellas

It's now just up to the application materials and I appreciate the responses. I'll let you know how it goes, and I'm looking forward to being approved and not having to worry about whether I'm technically in violation of the law because my car happens to be across the wrong line on a map for 20 seconds or so. I live in MA but when traveling South on I-84 I have to cross through CT to get back into MA if I take the regular exits and the other day I realized:

"Holy smokes, I can't do that legally with my LTC."

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...468,-72.142335&spn=0.006822,0.013036&t=h&z=17

Thanks again.

Last edited:
The link to the CT DPS was what I needed. Luckily when I took my MA LTC safety course at S&W, I stuck around for the extra hour or two to also get my CT safety cert!

thanks for the info!

As long as you're not stopping in CT (on purpose), and any guns are locked in a container separate from ammo, and both are in the trunk or otherwise inaccessible to you, then it should be covered under FOPA. If this is the only reason you would want to get a CT pistol permit, then you should make sure that it's really necessary before you spend more time/money.

Not that I want to discourage anyone from obtaining critical licenses or permits, or encourage innapropriate behavior for that matter, but IIRC I was told that as long as one's originating point and destination are within the state(s) one is properly authorized to posess a firearm, that one can travel through/transport through a state where one is not licensed? Not sure who could clarify.

P.S. I will be applying for a CT non res permit because of I work a great deal in CT, so this has been informative, thanks all.

To clarify my previous post:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOPA

"...persons traveling from one place to another cannot be arrested for a firearms offense in a state...if the traveler is just passing through...and the firearms and ammunition are not immediately accessible, unloaded and, in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, in a locked container."

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms - http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

Here's my question.

I have been thinking of getting a CT non-resident permit a NH non-resident permit and a VT non-resident permit. These are the States that I travel to the most.

I have the MA LTC-A so I can carry conceled in MA. Now if I get the CT non-resident permit and say I go to Cabela's in CT can I carry conceled with the CT non-resident permit ???

These laws are to crazy for the average person. OK so who nows the law and what is it please.

Thank You very much to whoever answers to this for me !!!

A couple things..Vermont does not require a permit to carry (openly or concealed) so you are already good to go there. If you get a CT Permit you can carry concealed here, or openly, whichever you choose. You can carry in NH without a permit, just have to carry openly and not loaded in your car. If you get a NH License you can carry in your car loaded and concealed outside your car.

A couple things..Vermont does not require a permit to carry (openly or concealed) so you are already good to go there. If you get a CT Permit you can carry concealed here, or openly, whichever you choose. You can carry in NH without a permit, just have to carry openly and not loaded in your car. If you get a NH License you can carry in your car loaded and concealed outside your car.

That's what I wanted to hear, Thank You for answering, it was a big help.

David

It is my opinion from reading the CT info on their website that ONLY the NRA Basic Pistol class is acceptable for CT licenses. I researched this about a year ago and unless something has changed, that's my understanding.

If anyone knows definitively different, please feel free to correct me (and provide citation for the info).

The law reads that the applicant must have passed a class approved by the commissioner of public safety.

Right now, there are only 2 approved classes. The NRA Basic Pistol and one created by Ed Peruta of Peruta v. San Diego fame.

here's a link to Eds DPS approved course: http://www.ctgunrights.com/00.Webpages/Conn.handgun.course1.htm

At this time nobody is teaching Ed's course. So you're stuck with NRA Basic Pistol.
The CT statute also requires live fire. This is actually a requirement for getting a certificate for completing NRA Basic pistol, but I've heard of MA instructors
teaching the course and not doing live fire prior to giving a cert. Either way. A certificate that says you've completed NRA Basic Pistol is what you need.

Last edited:
The law reads that the applicant must have passed a class approved by the commissioner of public safety.
The CT statute also requires live fire. This is actually a requirement for getting a certificate for completing NRA Basic pistol, but I've heard of MA instructors
teaching the course and not doing live fire prior to giving a cert. Either way. A certificate that says you've completed NRA Basic Pistol is what you need.

Does anyone teach the NRA Basic Pistol course with the Live Fire, that is located in Southeast MA area ???

The classes I have found so far in the Southeast MA area teach the course without the Live Fire... Trying to get my CT Non-Res also.

Does anyone teach the NRA Basic Pistol course with the Live Fire, that is located in Southeast MA area ???

The classes I have found so far in the Southeast MA area teach the course without the Live Fire... Trying to get my CT Non-Res also.

My buddy Jeff, RKBA Personal Safety Training is running an NRA Basic Pistol class on 10/19. That class includes live fire (it has to to meet NRA standards) and is run in Mansfield.
http://www.massltctrain.com/class-signup.html

I read through the app already, just wanted to clarify if I "had" to go to my local PD for prints or if there was another venue. I will be just going down to Middletown next week as its just a 25 min drive and will likely prevent any headaches for me handling the app process face to face with the fine folks of the SLFU.

I read through the app already, just wanted to clarify if I "had" to go to my local PD for prints or if there was another venue. I will be just going down to Middletown next week as its just a 25 min drive and will likely prevent any headaches for me handling the app process face to face with the fine folks of the SLFU.

If you have any questions at all, simply call them.

Right now, there are only 2 approved classes. The NRA Basic Pistol and one created by Ed Peruta of Peruta v. San Diego fame.

here's a link to Eds DPS approved course: http://www.ctgunrights.com/00.Webpages/Conn.handgun.course1.htm

At this time nobody is teaching Ed's course. So you're stuck with NRA Basic Pistol.

Don, do you know if I could use a copy of my NRA Credentials as a Certified Basic Pistol Instructor as my "certificate" for my Non-Resident application?

Yes. That will work fine. Make sure you put a post it note on the instructor credentials explaining that you are in fact certified to teach the course they require.

Unlike MA, the NRA credentials are all you need to instruct a course approved for use for a CT PP.

In MA, you could be a NRA training counselor and if you don't hold a MA LTC, then you aren't an approved instructor. Making it impossible to "self approve" in MA.
At least unless you find a licensing officer who is willing to bend things in the name of common sense. Which I've heard of several cases in the last year.

Back
Top Bottom