MA House Bill 2091 - 5 Hours Live Fire Training To Get License

yanici

NES Member
David Linsky at it again. I think he tried this before. Wants 5 hours of live fire training to get a gun license. Is he for real? Here is the language in the bill:

Bill H.2091
SECTION 1. Section 131P of Chapter 140 of the General Laws is hereby amended by inserting after the word “curriculum” the following words:- Said curriculum must include a minimum of at least 5 hours of live discharge of firearms, rifles, and shotguns at a license gun club, including the discharge of at least 50 rounds of ammunition.

David Linsky at it again. I think he tried this before. Wants 5 hours of live fire training to get a gun license. Is he for real? Here is the language in the bill:

Bill H.2091
SECTION 1. Section 131P of Chapter 140 of the General Laws is hereby amended by inserting after the word “curriculum” the following words:- Said curriculum must include a minimum of at least 5 hours of live discharge of firearms, rifles, and shotguns at a license gun club, including the discharge of at least 50 rounds of ammunition.
So I dump 50 rounds out of the Tommy drum. What do I do for the remaining 4 hrs and 59 minutes and 50 seconds? Jack.

5 hours live fire? Pretty sure I topped that by day 3 of my first gun. Thanks for the offer though.

I'm sure all those gang bangers with guns will be happy to comply. Oh... what was I thinking this for law abiding citizens. My bad.

I am so done. Time is ticking. It was five years a year ago. I am down to four. God willing, or Pete willing, we are off to some rural part of Montana.

Make the training mandatory, then make no courses or instructors certified to provide the mandatory training and or shut down all the ranges. Massachusetts loves creating impossible or impossibly vague conditions that can't be satisfied as defacto bans that otherwise would be blatantly unconstitutional.

I propose an Amendment to include funding of 25 million to pay for range time, instructors and ammo.

eta: as soon as funding gets attached, they find all kinds of fault with a stupid proposal as this and make it go away.

Last edited:
My NC carry license class required live fire. several different courses of fire, basically totaling 50 rounds or ammo. You had to get a certain number inside the target (torso).

We had a tiny foreign woman in the class who did not pass, and from what I could tell she could re-take it at a discount.

What is Linksy's ostensible reasoning for this change? Has there been a rash of problems with the way current LTC owners behave after taking the current classes?

What problem does his proposed solution supposedly fix?

and by that I mean legitimate one(s), not "to drive up costs and make people give up." What does HE SAY this will fix?

I don't like laws requiring training. And the CMR was intentionally written NOT to require live-fire as most LEOs who do training do not have unlimited access to ranges.

I teach NRA HFS to new shooters and include live fire (50 rds, mixed calibers) so that folks know how to shoot a gun (handguns and rifles), but again I don't want a law telling me that I have to do it that way.

Linsky is an idiot, but after he got ERPO passed, the other idiot legistaitors are paying attention to his wacky ideas.

There are 230,590,000 licensed drivers in the United States. (projected number for 2020)

Of this number, over 50% do not have any formal driver's education and were taught by poor drivers.
In 2014, the economic impact of vehicle crashes was in excess of 1,000,000,000,000.00 thats ONE TRILLION WITH A T.
In 2016 there were 6,296,000 police reported vehicle crashes. 37,461 deaths, 2,443,000 injured, 96 deaths per day or 1 death every 15 seconds from motorvehicle crashes.

In 2010, the dollar cost for medical care and lost productivity alone from vehicle crashes was in excess of 99 billion dollars.....this does not include property damage losses.

NOW TELL ME AGAIN....WHO NEEDS TRAINING, DRIVERS OR GUN OWNERS??????

There are 230,590,000 licensed drivers in the United States. (projected number for 2020)

Of this number, over 50% do not have any formal driver's education and were taught by poor drivers.
In 2014, the economic impact of vehicle crashes was in excess of 1,000,000,000,000.00 thats ONE TRILLION WITH A T.
In 2016 there were 6,296,000 police reported vehicle crashes. 37,461 deaths, 2,443,000 injured, 96 deaths per day or 1 death every 15 seconds from motorvehicle crashes.

In 2010, the dollar cost for medical care and lost productivity alone from vehicle crashes was in excess of 99 billion dollars.....this does not include property damage losses.

NOW TELL ME AGAIN....WHO NEEDS TRAINING, DRIVERS OR GUN OWNERS??????
Sounds like an advert for self-driving cars, the firearm analogue of which would be either armed robots or machine guns.

The "fifty rounds" may be copied from the LE requirements, but the 5 hours is just a fever dream.

My Florida CHL required "live fire"... all of about 5 seconds of it to "demonstrate competency with a firearm". Literally just had to fire 3 rounds with the instructor there to confirm you followed the basic rules and they all went safely down-range (didn't even need to be on the paper).

The "fifty rounds" may be copied from the LE requirements, but the 5 hours is just a fever dream.

My Florida CHL required "live fire"... all of about 5 seconds of it to "demonstrate competency with a firearm". Literally just had to fire 3 rounds with the instructor there to confirm you followed the basic rules and they all went safely down-range (didn't even need to be on the paper).
Most LEO’s can’t hit paper, lol!!

I have a better idea......what to de-incentivise illegal gun activity?

Make the punishment really, really extreme.

Don't keep hammering the honest law abiding citizens.
The goal is to make everyone a criminal, so they take away all your sh*t and you vote D for handouts. If you are already a criminal you get to go out and commit more crimes so the courts stay busy and the PoPo can justify their armored vehicles.

does he realize that the local police do not offer any live fire with their courses?

Back
Top Bottom