• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Govenor Race 2014

Well, it's that time again. Time to rail against the tide of offensive moonbattery, the jarring strains of kumbaya rattling your last nerve as the democrats roll out their plans to save the children (with more abortions!), provide equal pay (no one has jobs!) and protect the peoples (not including conservative racist evil halliburton cheney koch brothers blergh!!) rights. (Except their Second Amendment rights of course.)

Ahem. Looking over the field of contenders I believe that my choice is going to be Charlie Baker. But I don't know enough about him or his platform to know whether I am supporting him, or simply pulling the lever because I have no other option. I'm starting my research today, but does anyone know anything more about him? Specifically his 2A stance, and whether he might be open to forcing the AG (whoever that will be) into scrapping the consumer protection nonsense. I know, its practically a fairytale, but a boy can dream.

I did manage to find this, which has me a little hopeful.

In 2010 on WRKO Baker Said

Host: Speaking of guns, it's almost as if you have access to a text message we have another one about what your position on guns gun ownership and gun laws

Baker: Massachusetts does some of the toughest gun laws in the country and I don't think we need to pursue any more laws with regard to that. I think the biggest issue is that we don't do a good job of enforcing the laws we already have which we should be more aggressive on. We also ought to be a lot more aggressive about treating gun crimes, especially crimes that involve people using guns that they either procured illegally or aren't registered or all the rest we should be treating that as a far more serious crime than we are. It's usually the first thing that gets plead out when people get arrested after they use a gun in the commission of a crime. And I guess the other thing I would say is is. There are a lot of people of Massachusetts who, law abiding citizens who legally owned guns who hunt and fish and use guns in recreational activity and I think we're not treating them with quite the same level of respect and decency we should.

Sounds like a great canidate to enforce the unconstitutional laws on the books, and to keep them in place. Dont get me wrong that sounds much better than Deval. My vote will be for Mark Fisher.

I liked Baker the last time. His stance on cleaning up the state budget was very appealing. Although it probably would have failed.
This time it will be a toss up between Fisher and Baker.

The reason I like Fisher is that he is willing to take a stance on issues that are "controversial" issues. It dosent appear that he is attempting to please both sides of the isle with responses that dont really answer anything. From the looks of it he has a firm stance on the issues and he is sticking to them.

I met with Mark Fisher a few weeks ago. We spoke at length and I am under the impression that he actually gets what's wrong with the state. While he has been successful with his small business he's not in orbit like these other idiots.

I'm not in to the whole circle jerking the repubs are currently doing supporting baker. They think they are supporting a viable candidate yet they forget that he already lost and to deval at that. They keep pushing the same old shit and then scratch their heads as to why they lose REPEATEDLY. What makes you want to be supporting anyone but baker is the fact that he is the GOP leaderships pick. I was so pissed with what I saw going on at my town committee meeting that I bitched at these idiots who peddle the same shit rehashed as a different textured shit.

Mark supports real things that average citizens are for and definitely is not in line with party leadership. Find another who comes out like that.

ABM
(Anyone but Martha).
We owe her big time.
I would rather see the most raging anti moonbat in the state win over her. (if that was the only two choices)
That woman as been sticking it to us so hard for so long that we should have Stockholm syndrome.
Time to return the kindness.

I'm not in to the whole circle jerking the repubs are currently doing supporting baker. They think they are supporting a viable candidate yet they forget that he already lost and to deval at that.

I honestly think the major reason he lost the last time was him coming out and saying bluntly that some to most state employees were going to lose their jobs. Urkel and the unions beat thim.
His game plan was similar to Walkers if I remember.

Yay! Another election where we can vote for someone who loudly proclaims how much he or she sucks, someone who claims not to suck but we all know really does, and someone who has a chance of not sucking but also has no chance of getting elected.

I can't wait.

Baker is just another Democrat. MA is a lost cause.

This, after a lifetime voting for anyone except the leading Democratic candidate I have officially lost hope in this state (and country). The FSA has officially taken over and my voice will never be heard. I will continue to vote in every election but I will have no illusion that it will matter one bit.

Until more liberty minded folks get involved with the Republican party the GOP will push their "idea" of a candidate. They will eat their own an hang out to dry anyone who doesnt fit the profile.

This is an expensive game, the GOP was satisfied that Baker spent 3 million last campaign, for name recognition.

I like Fisher, he is personable, and exciting. He relates well with some of my beliefs. I think he would be great for the Commonwealth. But, he is branded as a tea partier. Mass GOP doesn't like tea partiers. Old school republicans who run the conventions and town RTCs don't like tea partiers.

Tea party folks need to drop the 3rd party stuff and get involved in your local RTCs and subvert them from the inside.

Wonderful. So we can look forward to another establishment demorat winning again. Have fun with that, Ill be out of here by then hopefully, but will be checking in to listen to the bitching and moaning, and maybe scoop up some guns and mags cheap when they get banned here.

I don't know anything about Mark Fisher but he did brave the frigid cold at the Marlboro Gun show on Saturday at 8:30 AM January 25th to greet everyone on the long waiting line to proclaim he was pro Second Amendment and that he owned a shotgun. I have to give him a lot of credit for doing that and it certainly made me interested in investigating and learning more about him. But having been burned by Brown and Gomez, both of whom got my generous financial support, he will have to be much more clear about his full position before he gets any of my backing.

It simply isn't enough any more to say"I support the Second Amendment and I own a gun" to gain our support. Rather, they have to demonstrate they truly understand how mean spirited, unjust and broken this state's system firearms laws has become and then propose a plan for changing things for the better. Being will to acccepting the status quo or "promising" to oppose any new gun laws just isn't enough anymore.

To get my enthusiastic support the candidate with have to articulate a strong commitment to addressing at least some of the many ills we face which include:

1. Eliminating the AG Roster of Approved Firearms -- this has done nothing other than make many perfectly safe guns either ridiculously expensive or otherwise simply not available.
2. Ending the restriction on dealer sales of other guns not owned in Massachusetts prior to October 1998.
3. Ending the prohibition on the possession of standard full capacity sized magazines made after October 1994 if you have a LTC-A (see point 4)
4. Making all pistol licenses the same by eliminating the distinction between Class A and Class B and by removing all restrictions.
5. Making Massachusetts a "Shall Issue" state for handgun licenses in addition to long guns as is currently the case for FID cards. The Constitution should be recognized to protect against such arbitrary determinations, especially, by unelected gov't officials (CLEOs) and their licensing officers.

Fool me once shame on me. Fool me twice, double the shame. But I will not be fooled again! If anyone is going to get my support this time based on Second Amendment issues they are going to have to acknowledge that they view some or most of the items cited above as real problems and commit to making it a goal to change them. I hope you are listening Baker, Fisher and anyone else out there who might be trying to run for statewide office because I will be listening carefully to you and I will not accept any weak or weasel-like affirmations of support for the Second Amendment! Trust me, you have absolutely no chance of winning an election without our support.

Last edited:
I understand people's skepticism here, but I think Baker's comment on guns is actually pretty encouraging. He also seems to have a good shot at winning this time.

Baker's politics don't perfectly match my own, but I do have a lot of respect for the guy. In the caucuses, a young Ron Paul supporter beat Baker. The state party responded by unseating the Ron Paul guy and making Baker the delegate. But Baker refused to take a position that he lost fair and square. This was at a time when he had no reason to suck up to Ron Paul supporters or to annoy the Romney camp. He just did the right thing, without regard for political expediency. Of course this kind of integrity should not be exceptional, but within today's MAGOP it's almost a profile in courage.

Have met Mark Fisher at our last RTC meeting. Very well spoken and is a business owner. Yes he is or is going to be branded a "Tea Party" candidate because he does not fit the mold of an establishment candidate such as Charlie Baker. Mark Fisher is out and about talking with people whereas Charlie Baker sends a spokesmen. Hopefully Fisher will at least get the necessary votes at the State Republican Convention to at least get on the primary ballot and in doing so he can force Baker to take a position publicly on the issues that are out there.

Folks - happy to hear support for Mark Fisher...
- The only way that you will get a chance to vote for him for Governor is if he gets 15% of the vote during the Republican Convention for Governor in March. This would initiate a primary between Charlie Baker and Mark Fisher.
- If Mark Fisher does not receive 15% of the delegate votes, then you will not be able to vote for him as he will not be on the ballot in November.

How do you help Mark Fisher right this minute?
- Tell everyone you know to support him and spread the word.
- Send him a donation.
- Registered Republicans can submit their name to their Republican Town Committee to be selected as a town delegate, and then you can vote for Mark Fisher at the Republican Convention. Most towns are nominating their delegates now.

What if Mark Fisher does not get 15% of the delegate vote at the Convention in March?
- Suppose he could run as an Independent, but would receive no help from MassGOP. Would need a ton of donations, and overwhelming support to do so.

What if Charlie Baker is the only choice?
- As always, because of our super-liberal majority here in Ma, every single non vote for the Republican candidate is a win for Martha Coakley. Ask yourself if you want to endure Martha Coakley as Governor. (I'm not suggesting a response, just asking you to consider the outcome - maybe it does need to get worse before better... be sure you are ready to live through that.)
- In this case I would urge a vote for Baker, and then for you to push Ma Representatives with 2A views to immediately engage Baker. Would be a hell of a lot easier for Representatives to engage Baker in 2A views than Coakley.

Maybe 2014 should be the call to action for many of us - start supporting 2A candidates from the bottom up:
- Start aggressively supporting State Senators and Representatives that have positive 2A views. They do exist.
- Start aggressively supporting Town Selectmen and Town Council members that have positive 2A views.
- Get involved yourself, and bring your 2A views to bear. We need every one of your voices out there to speak up, stand up for what you believe. Understand who is representing you in your town, engage them, become one of them if needed. We need you to.
- Donate to GOAL, Comm2A, and others. Push those groups to be more vocal.
- Encourage 2A with those around you, bring folks to the range, encourage training and applying for licenses. We need more numbers in the State badly.
- We need more women to step forward, join the ranks of gun owners, get licensed, speak up. Some of the most powerful testimony given during the State Hearings was from women. Nothing more beautiful than to hear a woman speak to how she can exercise her Rights and confidently defend herself and her family.

Much thanks to those of you out there already doing this, but we clearly need more. Please folks, consider what you can do to support, defend, and affirm our rights here in the birthplace of freedom.

I don't know anything about Mark Fisher but he did brave the frigid cold at the Marlboro Gun show on Saturday at 8:30 AM January 25th to greet everyone on the long waiting line to proclaim he was pro Second Amendment and that he owned a shotgun. I have to give him a lot of credit for doing that and it certainly made me interested in investigating and learning more about him. But having been burned by Brown and Gomez, both of whom got my generous financial support, he will have to be much more clear about his full position before he gets any of my backing.

It simply isn't enough any more to say"I support the Second Amendment and I own a gun" to gain our support. Rather, they have to demonstrate they truly understand how mean spirited, unjust and broken this state's system firearms laws has become and then propose a plan for changing things for the better. Being will to acccepting the status quo or "promising" to oppose any new gun laws just isn't enough anymore.

To get my enthusiastic support the candidate with have to articulate a strong commitment to addressing at least some of the many ills we face which include:

1. Eliminating the AG Roster of Approved Firearms -- this has done nothing other than make many perfectly safe guns either ridiculously expensive or otherwise simply not available.
2. Ending the restriction on dealer sales of other guns not owned in Massachusetts prior to October 1998.
3. Ending the prohibition on the possession of standard full capacity sized magazines made after October 1994 if you have a LTC-A (see point 4)
4. Making all pistol licenses the same by eliminating the distinction between Class A and Class B and by removing all restrictions.
5. Making Massachusetts a "Shall Issue" state for handgun licenses in addition to long guns as is currently the case for FID cards. The Constitution should be recognized to protect against such arbitrary determinations, especially, by unelected gov't officials (CLEOs) and their licensing officers.

Fool me once shame on me. Fool me twice, double the shame. But I will not be fooled again! If anyone is going to get my support this time based on Second Amendment issues they are going to have to acknowledge that they view some or most of the items cited above as real problems and commit to making it a goal to change them. I hope you are listening Baker, Fisher and anyone else out there who might be trying to run for statewide office because I will be listening carefully to you and I will not accept any weak or weasel-like affirmations of support for the Second Amendment! Trust me, you have absolutely no chance of winning an election without our support.

Here's the difference... ask the guy. He will actually talk to you and give you a straight answer instead of playing the dancing game. He is very worthy of the support.

I understand people's skepticism here, but I think Baker's comment on guns is actually pretty encouraging. He also seems to have a good shot at winning this time.

Baker's politics don't perfectly match my own, but I do have a lot of respect for the guy. In the caucuses, a young Ron Paul supporter beat Baker. The state party responded by unseating the Ron Paul guy and making Baker the delegate. But Baker refused to take a position that he lost fair and square. This was at a time when he had no reason to suck up to Ron Paul supporters or to annoy the Romney camp. He just did the right thing, without regard for political expediency. Of course this kind of integrity should not be exceptional, but within today's MAGOP it's almost a profile in courage.

Baker sucks and is just playing the big politics game. End of story.

Folks - happy to hear support for Mark Fisher...
- The only way that you will get a chance to vote for him for Governor is if he gets 15% of the vote during the Republican Convention for Governor in March. This would initiate a primary between Charlie Baker and Mark Fisher.
- If Mark Fisher does not receive 15% of the delegate votes, then you will not be able to vote for him as he will not be on the ballot in November.

How do you help Mark Fisher right this minute?
- Tell everyone you know to support him and spread the word.
- Send him a donation.
- Registered Republicans can submit their name to their Republican Town Committee to be selected as a town delegate, and then you can vote for Mark Fisher at the Republican Convention. Most towns are nominating their delegates now.

What if Mark Fisher does not get 15% of the delegate vote at the Convention in March?
- Suppose he could run as an Independent, but would receive no help from MassGOP. Would need a ton of donations, and overwhelming support to do so.

What if Charlie Baker is the only choice?
- As always, because of our super-liberal majority here in Ma, every single non vote for the Republican candidate is a win for Martha Coakley. Ask yourself if you want to endure Martha Coakley as Governor. (I'm not suggesting a response, just asking you to consider the outcome - maybe it does need to get worse before better... be sure you are ready to live through that.)
- In this case I would urge a vote for Baker, and then for you to push Ma Representatives with 2A views to immediately engage Baker. Would be a hell of a lot easier for Representatives to engage Baker in 2A views than Coakley.

Maybe 2014 should be the call to action for many of us - start supporting 2A candidates from the bottom up:
- Start aggressively supporting State Senators and Representatives that have positive 2A views. They do exist.
- Start aggressively supporting Town Selectmen and Town Council members that have positive 2A views.
- Get involved yourself, and bring your 2A views to bear. We need every one of your voices out there to speak up, stand up for what you believe. Understand who is representing you in your town, engage them, become one of them if needed. We need you to.
- Donate to GOAL, Comm2A, and others. Push those groups to be more vocal.
- Encourage 2A with those around you, bring folks to the range, encourage training and applying for licenses. We need more numbers in the State badly.
- We need more women to step forward, join the ranks of gun owners, get licensed, speak up. Some of the most powerful testimony given during the State Hearings was from women. Nothing more beautiful than to hear a woman speak to how she can exercise her Rights and confidently defend herself and her family.

Much thanks to those of you out there already doing this, but we clearly need more. Please folks, consider what you can do to support, defend, and affirm our rights here in the birthplace of freedom.

GOP leadership is pushing Baker hard on the delegates and don't want there to be options. As far as I'm concerned if it comes down to Marsha and Baker she deserves to win because the GOP is responsible for pushing the same old crap. The have not and will not if we continue to support this. At the same time do you want another Romney who is willing to settle and sell us out? I'd rather them go to the extremes of NY and CT and let's get it over with. Everyone is too scared to do anything about it and just wants to take the pain and punishment in small doses instead of getting it over with and moving forward.

I'd definitely vote for Fisher... Or Baker if Fisher doesn't win the GOP nomination.

For presidential elections I don't see myself voting "R" anytime soon... if this is a close race a vote for Baker may be worth it. I am under NO illusion that he is essentially a democrat, however, Massachusetts will never put a tea-party republican in office, ever, where as in the whole country I think a Rand Paul or Gary Johnson esque candidate could be viable. Depending how things go I may urge people to vote the lesser of two evils in this state, as there is never going to be any hope of a liberty minded small government republican taking a governors seat in this state. Ever.

We'll see how this race goes... I'm hoping Martha Coakley sucked enough as AG to not look to good as a candidate for governor. Honestly, I think she is still probably less anti-gun than Patrick was... he is as bad as they come.

The only way things get better for us in this state is through litigation. A less anti-gun politician might slow things down, but make no mistake, we are one "Newtown" away from making California look like New Hampshire.

Mike

I think the Mass GOP is trying hard to keep Fisher off the ballot because sice the last State Committee election, a lot of State Committee men and women got newly elected and a lot of them are very conservative and want to change the way the Mass GOP does business. Right now, there is just about a 50/50 split between etsablishment GOP and conservative GOP committee people. The State Committee people oversee the Town and City Republican Committees so they have some leverage in getting votes at the Convention. I wouldn't write off Fisher just yet as far as getting at least 15% !!

First time I'm hearing of Fisher but as a self identified Tea Party guy in Mass he's already won my respect. I'll do some research but from the little I've read I'm leaning towards him. If he's the real deal I'll be all in, donating all that I can afford for time and cash.

Anybody is better the Cadillac De ville. Hopefully if we start pushing for Pro 2A candidates now it IS possible we could have a Pro 2A Governor!
Then we could go for the Senate and AG!

This is not possible. To run as an independent or 3rd party candidate he would need to be unenrolled from the Republican Party by February 25th, weeks before the GOP convention.

Back
Top Bottom