MA DFW - leashing of dogs on WMA

The nanny state never sleeps.

Fisheries and Wildlife Board Public Hearings

Summary of Proposed Leash and Waste-disposal Requirements for Dogs on Wildlife Management Areas

The Division of Fisheries and Wildlife (MassWildlife) has a long tradition of welcoming dogs on Wildlife Management Areas (WMA), and dogs are still welcome on WMAs under this proposal.

MassWildlife proposes to take this action due to repeated complaints from WMA users about negative and unsafe encounters with unleashed dogs and issues with dog waste. MassWildlife protects and manages its WMAs primarily for wildlife to thrive and for wildlife-related recreation such as hunting, fishing, and wildlife-watching. At the same time, MassWildlife strives to provide a safe and enjoyable outdoor experience for all visitors.

1. The proposed regulations require the leashing of dogs and other domestic animals on WMAs. Dogs may be off-leash only when hunting or hunt-training with licensed hunters or at permitted field trials. Leashing dogs decreases conflicts with both people and other dogs, resulting in a safer and more positive experience for everyone.

2. The proposal requires dog owners to pick up dog waste and dispose of it offsite. Removing dog waste reduces nuisance and health risks for dogs and other pets, people, and wildlife.

I can't help but wonder how many complainers spotted poop in the middle of a trail, and don't realize that's what coyotes do.

I was just on Facebook, on the DFW's page bitching about this and came here to post it. I'm so sick of this state.

By there reasoning, I can walk my dog off leash anytime I want but my wife, who doesn't have a hunting license.. can't. And they can't see a problem with that.

In the end this is beneficial to hunters. It keeps dogs from running by your stands during season and minimizes any conflicts involving untrained house pets running free during hunting season or chasing deer in the off the season.
I was just on Facebook, on the DFW's page bitching about this and came here to post it. I'm so sick of this state.

By there reasoning, I can walk my dog off leash anytime I want but my wife, who doesn't have a hunting license.. can't. And they can't see a problem with that.
Just having a hunting license doesn't qualify, you need to be actually training you're hunting dog, a walk doesn't qualify. I assume that requires at minimum carrying a bumper with you or something of the sort.

Westborough is the worst. A few dogwalkers had the gall to chastise me hunting there. My answer was- Who do you think paid for the land to let you walk your dog and jog along the lake here?

But I can see that happening there. Poop is everywhere along the main trails around the lake.

In the end this is beneficial to hunters. It keeps dogs from running by your stands during season and minimizes any conflicts involving untrained house pets running free during hunting season or chasing deer in the off the season.

Just having a hunting license doesn't qualify, you need to be actually training you're hunting dog, a walk doesn't qualify. I assume that requires at minimum carrying a bumper with you or something of the sort.

From the DFWs Facebook page.
"Hunting training with a dog includes, but isn't limited to: obedience training, pointing, retrieving, water handling, quartering, casting, marking and trailing. You can read the proposed detailed regulations here: Fisheries and Wildlife Board Public Hearings"

Looks like pretty much anything can be considered training.
And the Regs aren't benificial to hunters. It's the state telling people how to use public land. And in the end, the non-hunters are going to get pissed the new laws don't apply to hunters. It's all BS and isn't needed.

From the DFWs Facebook page.
"Hunting training with a dog includes, but isn't limited to: obedience training, pointing, retrieving, water handling, quartering, casting, marking and trailing. You can read the proposed detailed regulations here: Fisheries and Wildlife Board Public Hearings"

Looks like pretty much anything can be considered training.
And the Regs aren't benificial to hunters. It's the state telling people how to use public land. And in the end, the non-hunters are going to get pissed the new laws don't apply to hunters. It's all BS and isn't needed.
The reg would be 100% pro hunter and something rare to see in this state. We paid for the land with our tax money, Joe-Shmoe dog walker did not. There's plenty of other places for them to walk their dogs, no need for them to be on wildlife management areas during hunting season, especially with an off leash dog.

The reg would be 100% pro hunter and something rare to see in this state. We paid for the land with our tax money, Joe-Shmoe dog walker did not. There's plenty of other places for them to walk their dogs, no need for them to be on wildlife management areas during hunting season, especially with an off leash dog.

I have no problem sharing the land, even during hunting season. Most people have no idea that land is paid for mostly by hunters and don't care. They want to be able to access it.

Right now, our local WMA has 150 acres right next to it that is privately owned and non huntable. Our town is trying to fundraise 1 million dollars to buy the land and add it to the WMA. That's 150 more acres I can hunt that's within 1 mile of my house. You think Joe-Shmoe dog walker is gonna donate his money when the state tells him he can't walk Lassie off the leash. In the long run, this proposal isn't good for anybody.

Is this an out yourself thread? If so, then I’m fine with this. I’m tired of bad dog owners who let their untrained mutts run around causing havoc.

I’m really tired of the mounds of crap they don’t clean up too. Yes, the wild life craps too but it’s clear this stuff isn’t the local coyotes.

Im for this in hunting season only. I think on WMA lands our rights need to be respected.

Off season really shouldnt matter.

It really doesn’t affect me walking the dog off season because I have a Hunting breed and she wears a bell and a training collar at all times. She is also in complete control off leash at all times. So every walk is a training session.

But I can see some ahole fish cop trying to fine people for no real reason. So im really not into giving them the power

Back
Top Bottom