MA -> DC Drive Recs?

Folks, per prior thread on taking auto train to FL, I'm outahair in a few days to FL. Got a place and I'm done with the politics, taxes, weather, cost of living and gun laws, of MA. Guess I can't post to NES any more. [hmmm]

Keeping my place in MA for at least while, so I'll be going back and forth for a while, maybe do the snow bird thing, but not feelin' the MA/NE thing these days.

Q: best rout driving to DC area ( Sanford VA)? I'm told to avoid 95 as much as possible. Leaving on a Sunday to avoid rush hour. I'll go Pike to 84 south, but after that, I don't know that drive well and I know many hear are regulars on such a drive.

Thanx !

On a Sunday, I don't think the 95 will be that bad. I drove down to VA day after thanksgiving last year, the 95 and 495 around DC weren't bad. Don't know where Sanford is though. I would choose my route based on weather. I stayed on the 95 on the coast through Connecticut last year to avoid the rain/hail further north, it was a really good choice as the 84 ended up having a bunch of accidents.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanx! Avoiding NYC at any costs seems a smart idea.

To be my usual contrarian self: I drive down to PA regularly. It's usually faster for me to take the GW bridge than the Tappan Zee. There is no toll to take the george washington bridge going into New Jersey, only on the way back into NY.

Thanx! Avoiding NYC at any costs seems a smart idea.

I used to think so, too. I would always take the Tappan Zee bridge. Now, Waze takes me through RI, CT, and across the GW when there is no traffic delay on it. It saves me tons of time on long trips like the OP is taking.

Trust the Waze. [kiss]

On a Sunday, I don't think the 95 will be that bad. I drove down to VA day after thanksgiving last year, the 95 and 495 around DC weren't bad. Don't know where Sanford is though. I would choose my route based on weather. I stayed on the 95 on the coast through Connecticut last year to avoid the rain/hail further north, it was a really good choice as the 84 ended up having a bunch of accidents.

- - - Updated - - -

To be my usual contrarian self: I drive down to PA regularly. It's usually faster for me to take the GW bridge than the Tappan Zee. There is no toll to take the george washington bridge going into New Jersey, only on the way back into NY.

Just make sure the Sunday in question is NOT the Sunday after Thanksgiving, which can be an absurdly busy travel day.

and abso-effing-lutely avoid 95 in CT.

Good luck in Fl, and enjoy your new freedoms

It depends- 90 to 84 to 91 to 15 is a nice ride but you end up in Manhattan/ going over the GW

alternate route as suggested above is 90 to 84 to 684 and across the tappan zee. Then the Garden State PArkway back to 95.

I used to think so, too. I would always take the Tappan Zee bridge. Now, Waze takes me through RI, CT, and across the GW when there is no traffic delay on it. It saves me tons of time on long trips like the OP is taking.

Trust the Waze. [kiss]
My worry would be that when I left home the GW bridge looked good but by the time I got close enough to be committed it would be jammed up.

My worry would be that when I left home the GW bridge looked good but by the time I got close enough to be committed it would be jammed up.

Waze steers you around it if needed. Waze sent me over the GW the last 4 times I drove to southern NJ and back. GW was fastest and it was painless and flawless (except for the toll!).

Waze also steered me to the parkways in CT that were faster than I95 to get to the GW. It avoided a lot of CT traffic on 95 as you approach NYC.

I've been using it for over 2 years and it really has moved me around accidents and traffic jams. Trust the Waze. [wink]

Tappan Zee all the time. I go down to NJ several times a month and the GWB is too unpredictable, once something happens, you can be stuck for 2 hours there. So, I actually go 84 in Ct to 684 then get off at the Saw Mill Pkwy, just because I love that road it's a small 2 laner with little traffic and nice surroundings, lots of deer. Onto to 287 then over the Tappen Zee to the Garden State Pkwy to the Jersey Turnpike, 95 all the way to VA.

Just don't go through NYC. I take the Tappan Zee bridge across the Hudson and let the GPS guide me from there.

+1 take Tappan Zee bridge then Garden State Parkway to NJ Turnpike. After that there's no real alternatives. If your Nav says 287W to Tappan Zee bridge is bad, take the GW bridge. That's 5 minutes faster if there's no traffic.

Also, around Hartford you switch from 84 to 91, then like 15 minutes later around Meriden, switch to 15 South, Merritt Parkway, all the way to 287 - it's a pretty drive and less traffic. (same thing steelshooter recommended)

Last edited:
Tappan Zee. If you are bringing guns with you, keep the locked in the trunk in a solid case with the ammo locked separately. Throw some crap on top of them just in case. Check all your lights and signals before you leave. Don't mess around at all in NY or NJ. You can breathe a little easier when you're into PA, but obey the traffic laws in MD, too. Safe travels and congratulations on your escape! I'm hoping to be following very soon.

I always go 84 684 287 Tappan Zee GSP NJTPK.
It is a little longer but usually no traffic surprises.
Waze is good but the traffic in NYC can change in a heart beat and once you are tooling in on 95 you are pretty much committed to the GWB.

Waze checks periodically to make sure traffic conditions haven't changed and adjusts the route as necessary, giving you a pop up message to let you know.

It really is the best Smart GPS App out there at the moment. I use it daily to commute, and everytime I ignore the route, I regret it.

My last drive to Savannah was the long way down Rt 81 to Rt 77 then 95. How you get to 81 has many options but a very early start is key IMO.

The other side is a very nice ride with zero stress and bullshit. The option of the Blue Ridge Parkway is also a great drive that I've done several times.

Use the western route. Stay on I-84 to Scranton PA. Get on I-81 to Harrisburg PA.
Take I-83 south to Baltimore's 695 Beltway West to I-97 to Annapolis MD to route 50
over the Cheasapeake Bay bridge Go to Salsbury MD. Then South on 13 to Sanford Va.

The western route will ad 80 miles but you avoid major traffic jams and almost all the tolls.

South bound will be $.50 for the mass pike from Exit 9 to 10. The next toll will be the Bay Bridge.

Coming back will be $2.50 plus the Bay Bridge toll.

Running I-95 there is a total of $75 round trip in Tolls to Baltimore. But when you hit Delaware
you can go 13 south to your Destination.

Malodave

Last edited:
The option of the Blue Ridge Parkway is also a great drive that I've done several times.

This would be my recommendation. View is much better and typically has lighter traffic then trying to navigate 95. Though on a weekend 95 might be OK, but it's hit and miss as I've seen construction on a Saturday from time to time that really messes with traffic. As to NYC, I will never ever take the Cross Bronx Expressway again to the GWB. Last time it took me 4 hours to go 3 miles in sweltering summer heat and my truck at the time started to overhead. That piece of highway is no place to break down. Never again no matter what Waze tell you.

Same here. I usually take 84/684/Tappan Zee/Garden State Parkway around NYC. But on a weekend or at night 95 can be faster.

At this moment Google Maps shows all 95 to be about 20 minutes more than 84/684 from Boston proper.

If you're actually going to Sanford, then it's no where near DC. You have to travel through Delaware and go down the peninsula to the eastern shore of Chesapeake Bay. If that's the case, you're going to have to travel through most of New Jersey to get there.

For the northern most part of the journey, I've always used the Mass turnpike, to I-84, to I-91 and then the Merritt (Route 15) to I-287 across the Tappanzee, then down the Garden State Parkway to I-95. Once you get into southern NJ, you can get on I-295 that parallels the NJ Turnpike and follow it to the bridge into Delaware. No toll on that road and the last time I was on it a couple of years ago, there was very little traffic.

If you aren't going to Sanford, but are going to Stafford, VA, then you should take a more westerly route. It's south of DC, right on I-95, but you can take the Mass Turnpike to I-84 and follow that across the Hudson in Newburgh. From there, you can continue west on I-84 to the Scranton area and then pick up I-81 south. Once you get into VA, you can work your way east to Stafford. That's more miles, but keeps you out of New York City and more importantly, you don't go through and inch of New Jersey. That's important if you are transporting any firearms, less so if you aren't. I drove to Texas last year with my daughter (and a couple of firearms). I opted to take that route instead of anything that would put me in New Jersey.

There are two major choke points on the I-95 route from Boston to NYC. First is in New Haven where I-95 and I-91 meet. They have been rebuilding that interchange area since at least 2005. The last time I was down there, which was about a year ago, it still wasn't done. Major back ups in all directions. The GW is always a crap shoot. I've taken it, but only very early on Sunday mornings. NYPD will close the bridge for any serious accident and the exits dump you into areas where you might not want to be and then you have to navigate your way across the river.

That's just been my experience, this is a case where YMMV literally.

BTW, if you have a ME permit, it's valid in Delaware. PA will recognize a NH non resident permit, VA will not recognize any New England state permits. I don't think VA requires a permit for possession, just for concealed carry.

And of course, once you get to FL you'll want a CCW permit. :)

My last drive to Savannah was the long way down Rt 81 to Rt 77 then 95. How you get to 81 has many options but a very early start is key IMO.

The other side is a very nice ride with zero stress and bullshit. The option of the Blue Ridge Parkway is also a great drive that I've done several times.

+1 on the Blue Ridge. Beautiful views that way.

I would do 84 to 81 and hook up with 95 as far south as you can.

I'll boats and equipment between the Boston area and South Florida 1-2 times a year and from the Boston area to Annapolis 3-4 times year. 90% of the time its 90W to 84W to 91S to 95S through NYC on the GWB when heading southbound. I'll check google maps and other apps as I get closer to choke points and make a decision, though 95 always seems to be the fastest. Since these trips are always a tight schedule I tend to either drive straight through to Florida or stop somewhere in the Carolinas. If I'm heading to Annapolis I'll take US13 after the Delaware Memorial Bridge to US301/50 down the Eastern Shore to the Bay Bridge. Much nicer drive than 95. Inland routes definitely have less tolls and less stress!

If you're actually going to Sanford, then it's no where near DC. You have to travel through Delaware and go down the peninsula to the eastern shore of Chesapeake Bay. If that's the case, you're going to have to travel through most of New Jersey to get there.

For the northern most part of the journey, I've always used the Mass turnpike, to I-84, to I-91 and then the Merritt (Route 15) to I-287 across the Tappanzee, then down the Garden State Parkway to I-95. Once you get into southern NJ, you can get on I-295 that parallels the NJ Turnpike and follow it to the bridge into Delaware. No toll on that road and the last time I was on it a couple of years ago, there was very little traffic.

If you aren't going to Sanford, but are going to Stafford, VA, then you should take a more westerly route. It's south of DC, right on I-95, but you can take the Mass Turnpike to I-84 and follow that across the Hudson in Newburgh. From there, you can continue west on I-84 to the Scranton area and then pick up I-81 south. Once you get into VA, you can work your way east to Stafford. That's more miles, but keeps you out of New York City and more importantly, you don't go through and inch of New Jersey. That's important if you are transporting any firearms, less so if you aren't. I drove to Texas last year with my daughter (and a couple of firearms). I opted to take that route instead of anything that would put me in New Jersey.

There are two major choke points on the I-95 route from Boston to NYC. First is in New Haven where I-95 and I-91 meet. They have been rebuilding that interchange area since at least 2005. The last time I was down there, which was about a year ago, it still wasn't done. Major back ups in all directions. The GW is always a crap shoot. I've taken it, but only very early on Sunday mornings. NYPD will close the bridge for any serious accident and the exits dump you into areas where you might not want to be and then you have to navigate your way across the river.

That's just been my experience, this is a case where YMMV literally.

BTW, if you have a ME permit, it's valid in Delaware. PA will recognize a NH non resident permit, VA will not recognize any New England state permits. I don't think VA requires a permit for possession, just for concealed carry.

And of course, once you get to FL you'll want a CCW permit. :)

I'm going to Lorton VA to get on the auto train, which appears to be right off 95 from the map.

// If I'm heading to Annapolis I'll take US13 after the Delaware Memorial Bridge to US301/50 down the Eastern Shore to the Bay Bridge. Much nicer drive than 95. Inland routes definitely have less tolls and less stress!
I took that route, on a motorcycle, at dawn. Awesome!

Waze checks periodically to make sure traffic conditions haven't changed and adjusts the route as necessary, giving you a pop up message to let you know.

It really is the best Smart GPS App out there at the moment. I use it daily to commute, and everytime I ignore the route, I regret it.

You convinced me. I downloaded Waze. Route I'm planning to take from advice here and asking around is 84, 287, over Tap Z, Garden State pky, 95.

How long a drive is it to Lorton VA? GPS says 7 hours, Mapquest says 9.5. Big difference that.

My guess is that GPS is not accounting for traffic and MapQuest is. Traffic can easily add several hours to the drive. Driving to PA, my route is nominally a 6 hour drive. It has taken me nearly 10 when there was construction and heavy traffic (Friday evening).

I've been driving down to NC for over a decade 3-4 times a year. What we do is try to time hitting nyc between 11 and 12 at night. Go right thorough the cross Bronx expressway and over the GW. Did the tappanZee bridge the first couple of years. Not worth the extra time IF you can adjust your departure time. Driving overnight is far superior to daytime. You just never know what accidents will happen on 95 or what construction is going on.

Waze sounds fantastic. I'm going to have to check it out.

Safe driving!

I've been driving down to NC for over a decade 3-4 times a year. What we do is try to time hitting nyc between 11 and 12 at night. Go right thorough the cross Bronx expressway and over the GW. Did the tappanZee bridge the first couple of years. Not worth the extra time IF you can adjust your departure time. Driving overnight is far superior to daytime. You just never know what accidents will happen on 95 or what construction is going on.

Safe driving!

This is sound advice too

Safe driving!

The auto train leaves at 4pm, so if I'm in NYC around 12, I'd get to VA very early and be sitting their most of the day. I could go night before and grab a hotel in say PA, then finish journey to VA. I want to get through NY and NJ without stopping for obvious reasons.

Back
Top Bottom