MA compliant WASR 10 in Connecticcut?

I may be moving from MA to CT in the next couple of months. I own a MA compliant WASR 10 rifle and was wondering if I would have a problem bringing it with me when I move?

I have read about the assault rifle ban but it is really not clear to me what is OK and not OK.

I will also be bringing other firearms with me, all compliant in MA. Is it safe to say they would be OK to own in CT?

Thanks.

if it is an ak action and is chambered in 7.62 x 39, then it is banned by name in CT. No amount of 'neutering' will change that.

Here is a link to the statute:
http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm

Since the law was passed, it has been determined by a judge that the litmus test is parts interchangability. Since parts are not common between different calibers of ak style guns. i.e. an ak74, ak style guns NOT chambered in 7.62x39 are legal in ct provided they comply with the evil features aspect of the law.

Thus, I own a fixed stock, ak74 with no bayo lug and no flash hider and its perfectly legal. Swell, huh.

Thanks for the info...

I understand that the towns issue the permit like here in MA. Are there any towns that are not gun friendly that could turn me down? I'm looking to move somewhere around Stanford. I have a permit for MA and should have my renewed Florida permit soon which i have had for over 15 years now.

Thanks.

The city is called Stamford. (With an M) Just an fyi in case you want to google the city. Since its a good sized city, I'm guessing its a bit of a pain, but not too bad.

I'm not from that part of the state so I'm not really sure. I would start a thread in this same forum titled "Pistol Permit Friendly Towns in the Stamford Area??"

i'm sure knowledgeable people from that part of the state would take care of you.

Don

You will be fine..CT is not like Mass..there are no restrictions and you cannot just be denied...some towns/cities take longer..but most are fine.....\

If you really want..grab a non-resident CT permit now...then when you move just have to email them your new address..don't need to apply to any town.....and all renewals go straight to the state..no town..

Last edited:
I have been calling it "Stanford" a lot and my wife keeps correcting me. I just can't stop changing that m to an n. [smile]

Thanks for the info. I will start the process for my out of state ASAP. I'll let you guys know if I run into any issues but it is nice to hear that is shouldn't be much of an issue.

I now need to figure out where I can sale my evil assault rifle. [crying]

John,

I would do this to expedite your CT pistol permit. Get yourself a non-resident CT pistol permit now. Then when you move to CT, I believe that the conversion to a resident permit is pretty quick and painless.

I suggest that you call up the special licensing and firearms and ask what happens if you have a non-resident and then move to CT. It may be a similar process to converting a State of CT Eligibility Certificate (which allows you to buy a handgun) into a Pistol Permit. The benefit of that is it is a purely State process. No municipalities are involved.

This was a process used in the past for towns with very anti-permit Chief Law Enforcement Officers. You could get an eligibility cert and then convert to a pistol permit.

Either way, I think getting a non-resident permit would be a good idea right now.

Back
Top Bottom