Moving from MA to CT

bigbravehog

NES Member
My son in law and family are moving from MA to CT. He has a resident MA CCW. I am guessing that he will need to take CT firearms course and apply for a CT license.
What is the status of the MA license. Will he now have to apply for a MA non-resident license ? TIA

NRA Basic Pistol (or very few other courses) are acceptable for CT. MA LTC becomes null and void upon moving out even if the PD doesn't cancel it. He'll need to apply to Chelsea, FRB for a NR annual temporary LTC.

My son in law and family are moving from MA to CT. He has a resident MA CCW. I am guessing that he will need to take CT firearms course and apply for a CT license.
What is the status of the MA license. Will he now have to apply for a MA non-resident license ? TIA
Tell him to apply for CT non-res permit before he moves. CT state police is the approving authority. That way, when he moves, he needs only to submit change of address. If he waits until he is a CT resident, then he must apply in his town before it gets to the state. Extra expense and delay.

Tell him to apply for CT non-res permit before he moves. CT state police is the approving authority. That way, when he moves, he needs only to submit change of address. If he waits until he is a CT resident, then he must apply in his town before it gets to the state. Extra expense and delay.
they are moving in 3 weeks. He would need to take the CT firearms course first. Not enough time ?

NRA Basic Pistol (or very few other courses) are acceptable for CT. MA LTC becomes null and void upon moving out even if the PD doesn't cancel it. He'll need to apply to Chelsea, FRB for a NR annual temporary LTC.
Can you please point this out in MGL or the CMRs? I have looked and been unable to find it. If this is true than it will be interesting because of history to the contrary.

When you move out of state, notify of change of address as required.

How do you reconcile the following

1. Move out of state. Notify. Verification shows VALID and with new out of state address.
  2. Do (1) and then move back into the state. Apply for license (or renewal) before old license has expired. Are told to give change of address to new in state address and only renew once it expires
I have direct knowledge of MANY of (1). I have direct knowledge of (2)

they are moving in 3 weeks. He would need to take the CT firearms course first. Not enough time ?
The NRA course counts in CT (no CT specific course needed). Three weeks is short; might not even find a course in that window. Once he becomes a CT resident, he can no longer apply for non-res permit.

The NRA course counts in CT (no CT specific course needed). Three weeks is short; might not even find a course in that window. Once he becomes a CT resident, he can no longer apply for non-res permit.
ok he has taken NRA course many years ago in MA. So he just needs to apply for a CT Resident permit ? They are already residents of CT, but are just starting to move in. The RMV stuff has already been done.

ok he has taken NRA course many years ago in MA. So he just needs to apply for a CT Resident permit ? They are already residents of CT, but are just starting to move in. The RMV stuff has already been done.
Oops. Already CT residents means too late to apply for non-res permit. He must now apply to his town in CT.

Back
Top Bottom