MA compliant SIG Mosquito?

Has anyone heard if the new SIG Mosquito .22 autoloader will be on the approved firearms roster?

I'm looking at getting a first handgun and lots of people say that a .22 is the way to go. Cheap to buy, cheap to shoot. The SIG Mosquito looks like a real nice gun and I'd love to get my hands on one. So, I'm just wondering if anyone knows if it is/will be approved.

Thanks in advance.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for a first handgun of any caliber, please let me know!! Thanks.

Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy it here.

I'm also interested in learning more about that gun.

The quickest way to answer your question would be to call Sig and ask them if they have submitted it to testing yet. If they say no, tell them there is a lot of interest in MA for this gun being available . . . it might make a difference and push them to submit it.

Even if they submit it, EOPS is only publishing a new list 2x/year max and thus it is unlikely to be published until the end of the year. Therefore it might be approved on paper but unavailable for as much as 6+ months.

thanks for the update....

I appreciate the welcome and the reply.

I'll be calling SIG on my lunch hour!

And I do think that there is interest in the gun. It looks like a quality firearm with all the functionalities of the larger caliber handguns. Seems like the perfect thing for me to use to practice on!!!

I've not seen a de-cocker on a .22 before!

Update:

Called SIGarms today. The rep said "there are no plans to submit the Mosquito for MA compliance at this time, perhaps in the future."

So, no go. This state makes it hard, doesn't it??

Marcus in the Darkus said:
Maybe Christmas. Maybe.

Go get a Walther P22. Mine shoots like a dream and I have yet to find ammo that it won't eat. Sounds like the Mosquito is pretty finnicky about ammo.
Yea, mine will eat anything... but spitting it out?

IF it ejects, it comes RIGHT back at my head, ive been burned 2 times. God I need to call Walther / SW and get this thing fixed before shoot it with a real gun :D

My Wife and I have both found that our P22 is extremely finicky about ammo. S&W confirmed this is largely true when I asked them about it.

Neither of us are happy with this gun. I was hoping that the Mosquito would become available and I would then sell the P22.

My Wife is now shooting my old (Hartford) High Std Supermatic Tournament. It goes bang every time and doesn't jam.

Huh... That's interesting info about the p22. Thanks for the heads up!

My old man has a Buckmark, and that gun seems to perform every time we've shot it (I'll admit, it's not a lot of times compared to people that always shoot pistols!)

But unless I buy one used thru a private sale... no go. 'Cause I don't see it on the approved list either! I can't buy his, from him, he's out of state.

That's interesting Len. I have a P22 and haven't had a problem with it with any of the ammo that I buy. Though, I've only put about 5 different types of .22 rounds though it, but never a jam.

What I hate about it, breaking it down and cleaning it... Although it's one of the last that I clean, so my hand is killing me by that time. But putting it back together drives me nuts. It's not the most easy pistol to put together. YOu have to hold the recoil spring and rod all crazy as you put the slide back on. That's what I hate.

But I've never had a problem with ammo with it. I love the thing.

I have a couple of friends that have the P22 and they have nothing but positive reports about it. One has about 10,000 rounds through his and tells me he has only had one FTF and half a dozen FTE's both with the same type of ammo. He stopped shooting that and nothing else since.

Adam

C-pher said:
What I hate about it, breaking it down and cleaning it... Although it's one of the last that I clean, so my hand is killing me by that time. But putting it back together drives me nuts. It's not the most easy pistol to put together. YOu have to hold the recoil spring and rod all crazy as you put the slide back on. That's what I hate.

Yeah, it's a little tricky, but not as hard to clean as a Ruger Mk II IMHO. Have you tried using the little pastic pin that came with the pistol to aid reassembly? The first time I cleaned mine I fought with it for about 20 minuted to hold the recoil spring and get the slide back on. Then I discovered what the pin is for and how to use it. You insert it into the front of the spring and into the hole in the slide, you line up the barrel, and in one quick motion you put the slide on as the pin pops out the front. I can now reassemble my P22 almost as easily as my Sig 226.

Len, the early P22s had problems, and I suspect that's what you were shooting. Mine has been flawless.

Adam_MA said:
I guess this is one of those cases where the instruction manual comes in VERY handy! :D

Adam

You know, I was sitting there with the manual when I was putting it back together and I don't remember seeing anything about a little pin.

And the reason that I got out the manual was becuase I WAS having issues putting it back together.

Adam_MA said:
I guess this is one of those cases where the instruction manual comes in VERY handy! :D

Adam

Actually, in this case, no. There's not a word about it in the instruction manual. The pin is in the little baggie with the key, the alternate-sized rear strap, etc.

Funny... You'd think they would have made sure to include that little piece of helpful information...

Adam

Back
Top Bottom