MA Compliance for AR-15

The original question was what happens when you have a pre-ban upper and both a pre- and post-ban lower in the house. Does the fact that you could attach the upper to the pre-ban lower mean you're okay, or that you could attach it to the post-ban mean they *could* charge you?

Problem is it's never been litigated nor clarified so no one can actually answer that question.

Problem is it's never been litigated nor clarified so no one can actually answer that question.

+1 on that. Mass law is sufficiently different from the federal as to make analogies difficult. AFAIK, in Mass a "weapon" is only the fully assembled item, not parts (i.e., the serialed receiver). Also, Mass has no accepted provision that there is "constructive assembly" of forbidden parts, or, a "rebuttable presumption" of assembly.

There is case law that an assembled but non-functional "firearm" (e.g., handgun with broken firing pin) can be considered a firearm if only a few parts need to be replaced. Chime in if anyone can add to this.

JCat:

Sorry I didn't address this before: you can remove the lug yourself. The best way is to remove the FSB and then do it, BUT, this is very difficult and, for a bunch of reasons, outside the realm of the beginner.

You can remove the mount/lug while the FSB is attached to the AR, but risk of damage to the AR is significantly greater. If you do, mask EVERYTHING with multiple layers of tape to prevent damage from slipping tools, and, use hand tools (hacksaw) to to the gross work, and a Dremel to do finer smoothing.

Last edited:
I had not seen that method before. I like it.

You wouldn't happen to know the roll pin size for Magpul MOE or CTR stocks?

I have a MA compliant S&W with a pencil barrel....flame thrower!

I also have a MA-compliant m&p15 as well and like the blank barrel end. Really gives a nice flame!

I am removing the faux m4 collapsible stock though. Looks silly. If I'm stuck with a fixed stock, I'm gonna put an a1 trapdoor stock on it. Waiting for parts to show up right now.

If the MA awb was lifted tomorrow, I'd just buy 30-round pmags and a collapsible stock. I don't car about a bayonet or flash suppressor.

Also, on the m&p, the bayo lug is simply cut off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom