• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA actually does something decent...

For those that don't know about this...

Mass. `welcomes home' vets with $1,000 bonuses

Boston (AP) -- Massachusetts veterans who've served their country abroad are being recognized with special $1,000 bonuses.

The "Welcome Home" payments are part of expanded benefits approved by the state in 2005.

The tax-free payments are awarded to service members called to active duty since Sept. 11, 2001, and who served in Iraq, Afghanistan or any other nation in the world for 180 days or more.

To date, 17,000 applications have been approved.

Ten service members were to receive checks Monday at the Statehouse from Treasurer Timothy Cahill. They are Carl Bernard of Brockton, Daniel J. Connor of Needham, John Eden of Mendon, Mikaela Fahey of Plymouth, Anthony F. Hinson of Chelsea, Michael Kennedy of Boston, Thomas A. Luciano of Melrose, Brendan Murphy of Boston, Jose Navarro of Malden and David F. Roy of Attleboro.

For those that are interested and eligable - you need to contact the Treasurers office.

they must of changed this recently, for the better.
originally, medford was offering $1,000 for OIF veterans and $500 for any other ones (such as OEF).

good to see they fixed that. i asked the guy at city hall (in medford) why veterans got different rates depending on where they went and the guy got offended, which made the whole application process worse since i was already bent out of shape about it.
im always bent out of shape so i guess thats nothing new.

it was 500 for those who served inside the USA after 9/11 & 1000 for those who did a trip overseas to ISO OEF / OIF.

proof had to be in DD 214. i haven't met too many people who didn't already cash in... outside of the newer crowd.

i don't even remember what i did with that money... i was still single back them [wink]

Any body know if it's a one time thing or when son gets back from afghanistan will he be able to get it again? Just wondering.

It's a one time thing up to $1000. I got $500 for either Bosnia or Gitmo (I can't remember which) and then I got the remaining $500 for Iraq.

i'll gladly take it for you [smile]

all joking aside, it's a small token of appreciation from this state, considerating they rape us on everything else...

I haven't submitted. I won't, either.

martlet, i know you dont like people to be nosey, but letting that money sit in the states coffers isnt helping anyone.
if you dont want the money, why dont you get it from the state and donate it to a organization that could use spare money? for instance, the UFC had a fund raiser last night for traumatic brain injuries. im sure the TBI fund would appreciate a $1,000 donation.
there are a lot of organizations you can donate to...

martlet, i know you dont like people to be nosey, but letting that money sit in the states coffers isnt helping anyone.
if you dont want the money, why dont you get it from the state and donate it to a organization that could use spare money? for instance, the UFC had a fund raiser last night for traumatic brain injuries. im sure the TBI fund would appreciate a $1,000 donation.
there are a lot of organizations you can donate to...

+1

might as well invest the $$$ on our own.... [grin]

http://www.yellowribbonfund.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
people's tax money should not be used for charity. This is f***ing absurd!!!![angry]

I support our troops and make donations when I can. I am totally against being FORCED into making a donation via my stolen tax money though.

Our troops deserve a lot more than these tiny bonuses, but IMO it should all come from private charities and NOT via state sponsored theft.

This is one where I have to disagree with you. In almost any other scenario, I'd agree that this sort of benefit should be privately funded.

Our soldiers committed to protect US at a significant risk to themselves. We owe a debt far beyond the monthly paycheck and some tuition benefits. A "thank you" check is certainly the very least we can do.

No, I am not and never have been in the military. I do respect and appreciate those that have.

They're going to tax me into oblivion anyway. At least this one tiny thing I can agree with.

people's tax money should not be used for charity. This is f***ing absurd!!!![angry]

I support our troops and make donations when I can. I am totally against being FORCED into making a donation via my stolen tax money though.

was this directed at my post (#13)?

I got a $300 bonus in Massachusetts when I got back from Vietnam, but years later. Thanks for the charity!! [angry] [/sarcasm}

Blaze, you're taxes aren't paying "CHARITY". After being gone out of country for a year, in the interest of all our country, and you think $1000 bonus, to catch up on bills or maybe a security deposit on a new apartment is CHARITY?

It's one of the few things I respect the Mass legislature for approving. Something that actually helps vets readjust to civilian life after putting their lives on the line instead of you!

Maybe they should charge a thousand dollars to each eligible qualified person who doesn't serve in the military. Charge them $1000. Give all that money from that huge number of mall ninjas who would have to pay, and give that to the Veterans instead.

Charity... boy does that piss me off.

I got a $300 bonus in Massachusetts when I got back from Vietnam, but years later. Thanks for the charity!! [angry] [/sarcasm}

Blaze, you're taxes aren't paying "CHARITY". After being gone out of country for a year, in the interest of all our country, and you think $1000 bonus, to catch up on bills or maybe a security deposit on a new apartment is CHARITY?

It's one of the few things I respect the Mass legislature for approving. Something that actually helps vets readjust to civilian life after putting their lives on the line instead of you!

Maybe they should charge a thousand dollars to each eligible qualified person who doesn't serve in the military. Charge them $1000. Give all that money from that huge number of mall ninjas who would have to pay, and give that to the Veterans instead.

Charity... boy does that piss me off.

This is the New America, not yours or mine anymore. And to think that we do have fine men in women in uniform being appreciated by those who never will serve. Be proud jhblaze1, you have probably posted the most insulting post ever on this forum.

Last edited:

Our troops deserve a lot more than these tiny bonuses, but IMO it should all come from private charities and NOT via state sponsored theft.

How does the $1000 "Welcome Home" bonus differ from the millions paid annually in enlistment and re-enlistment bonuses, as well as GI Bill payments, other than being a state-funded benefit? I came home from Iraq and got $1000 from the state government. A buddy of mine re-enlisted while in Iraq and got $55,000 (tax free) from the federal government. Both bonuses were funded by your tax dollars. What's the difference? I paid the government $1500 when I first enlisted. Now I'm collecting roughly 37 times that much from the MGIB. The VA didn't get that money from running bake sales. Those are tax dollars. Honestly, I know you're a more reasonable man that that post reflects of you. We're not talking about a welfare handout here. This money is a fraction of what the state pays to people who stood tall, raised their right hand, and said "yes, I will be a lazy waste of life, refuse to get a job, and gladly take whatever handouts you have to offer, only to bitch if one of the payments is late." This money is going to combat veterans.

How does the $1000 "Welcome Home" bonus differ from the millions paid annually in enlistment and re-enlistment bonuses, as well as GI Bill payments, other than being a state-funded benefit? I came home from Iraq and got $1000 from the state government. A buddy of mine re-enlisted while in Iraq and got $55,000 (tax free) from the federal government. Both bonuses were funded by your tax dollars. What's the difference? I paid the government $1500 when I first enlisted. Now I'm collecting roughly 37 times that much from the MGIB. The VA didn't get that money from running bake sales. Those are tax dollars. Honestly, I know you're a more reasonable man that that post reflects of you. We're not talking about a welfare handout here. This money is a fraction of what the state pays to people who stood tall, raised their right hand, and said "yes, I will be a lazy waste of life, refuse to get a job, and gladly take whatever handouts you have to offer, only to bitch if one of the payments is late." This money is going to combat veterans.

While it may not seem like there is a difference, there is. Bonuses and the like are SRIP benefits that are to entice enlistment, much like a signing bonus with a company. It's an incentive. The Welcome Home Bill is a "hey thanks" check. The former is necessary to maintain troop levels, and the amount changes or goes away as need changes. The latter does not.

While it may not seem like there is a difference, there is. Bonuses and the like are SRIP benefits that are to entice enlistment, much like a signing bonus with a company. It's an incentive. The Welcome Home Bill is a "hey thanks" check. The former is necessary to maintain troop levels, and the amount changes or goes away as need changes. The latter does not.

I don't think it's possible for me to approach this from a purely objective standpoint, but I can see your point to an extent. I just feel the welcome home bonus is consistent with VA benefits, giving returning veterans assistance to transition into civilian life. But hey, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, and if jhblaze1 chooses to feel that way, that certainly is his right.

Back
Top Bottom