• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M1 Thompson (semi) any problems upgrades?

I am purchasing an M1 thompson, From what I can gather they will not take surplus wartime mags without some modification. I know the drums won't work(Don't care) just want good 20 and 30 rnd sticks. it is one of the newer Kahr arms version. Anyone with one care to enlighten me? source for good mags etc... Spare parts to keep on hand? (I intend on a firing pin and springs at the least.)

Mags can be had from Tapco and many other sources - it seems like some were sent to the USSR and they are all coming back now. You have to elongate the locating hole on the magazine, add another 1/4 inch or so in on the top side of the hole. This can easily be done with a dremel and a conical stone, or with more effort, a round file. Just make sure you only remove the bare minimum to get the mag to seat. They work just fine, and this is exactly what Auto-Ord (West Hurley) did to the mags that came with the Thompsons prior to the mag ban and the Kahr transfer. I have done a bunch of these so if you need further detail, let me know.

Cool I have a shiney new milling machine that will be just the thing for that mod.
I figured it is just an easy mod. other than that how do you like the carbine?
(not really an SMG or a rifle... ) I fell in love with the full auto version at the MG shoot and is why I am buying the Semi , next best thing. (can't swing the bucks for the happy switch version,,, )

I have to figure on what to get for mags for mine. I got one mag with mine but the feed lips were bent and I'm having a heck of a time trying to get them correct. I can't seem to get consistent feeding.

When I decide to spend the money, I think I'll get some straight from AO.

Dennis once I get my GI mags I will compare them to the one I got with the weapon. They can be had for as little as 9.00 in like new condition so to me is worth a little work. (the Kahr/AO ones are listing for 66.00 and that is the same ones! (listed as surplus not new) If I have good luck I will let you know.

I have the West Hurley Auto Ordnance version from about 15 years ago. Fit and finish is passable on the parts made in West Hurley and beautiful on the some of the parts - obviously surplus stuff made in Brudgeport. Trigger pull is a beast - at least 15 pounds - a drum-full and your trigger finger gets stiff. It is very reliable with ball loads through the stick mags. I mostly shoot 230 gr cast lead through it due to cost. It doesn't like softball and jams if the loads aren't stout enough. It digests the cast bullets just fine and the barrel doesn't even lead. Plinking with the Tommy is fun. The flying ashtray 45 ACP rounds really make the targets dance!

I have the West Hurley Auto Ordnance version from about 15 years ago. Fit and finish is passable on the parts made in West Hurley and beautiful on the some of the parts - obviously surplus stuff made in Brudgeport. Trigger pull is a beast - at least 15 pounds - a drum-full and your trigger finger gets stiff. It is very reliable with ball loads through the stick mags. I mostly shoot 230 gr cast lead through it due to cost. It doesn't like softball and jams if the loads aren't stout enough. It digests the cast bullets just fine and the barrel doesn't even lead. Plinking with the Tommy is fun. The flying ashtray 45 ACP rounds really make the targets dance!

No drum mags for this model, but the fit and finish is very nice. (A little too nice for a Miliary replica if you know what I mean. ) It is a new production Kahr arms version. very nice piece all in all or I wouldn't be spending so much for the bloody thing. but it is as close as I can get for now to a FA version.

To all the owners of any model thompson would you buy another one? I have been reading so much bad stuff about the Kahr arms versions (hit or miss QC) and jamming issues I am really wondering if I should go through with the purchase. I want one but frankly for as much as I am spending I am a little hesitant at this point. I guess I will talk to the dealer and see why the guy traded it in after 2 months. (That really makes me wonder. )

Back
Top Bottom