• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

m1 garand "tanker"

greencobra

NES Member
guys, was there really a tanker m1 grand? reason i'm asking is springfield armory is running full page ads for theirs in the latest gun rags saying "just like the ones used in wwII." i always thought these were fantasy guns and no such thing actually existed. was i wrong in thinking that? is it a real variation?

guys, was there really a tanker m1 grand? reason i'm asking is springfield armory is running full page ads for theirs in the latest gun rags saying "just like the ones used in wwII." i always thought these were fantasy guns and no such thing actually existed. was i wrong in thinking that? is it a real variation?
The T26 was experimental only although I do think they ended up getting approved for use. I believe they made about 150 of them as prototypes.

They never saw action. Sounds like Spingfield's gonna Springfield. Maybe they'll have a "GRIP ZONE" added in place of the front handguard.

What is a M1 Tanker Garand Rifle?

M1 Garand - Tanker Variant

A Colonel working for US Army General Simon Bolivar Buckner, Jr. initiated the project.

From mid 1944 Lieutenant General Buckner was Commander of the 10th Army. They were preparing to invade Taiwan, but instead were called upon to take Okinawa. MG Buckner was killed there, the highest ranking U.S. officer to be killed in front-line combat in WWII.

As an aside, the expression, “Good judgement comes from experience: a lot of that comes from bad judgement” is attributed to him, talking about the training of officers earlier in the war.

_76785397_buckner2.png

Last edited:
Ahaha, what an abomination:
upload_2019-8-5_10-11-26.png

Magazine fed...
It's their M1A SOCOM in a wood stock, that's all. It's "inspired by the M1 Tanker."

Ahaha, what an abomination:
View attachment 296156

Magazine fed...
It's their M1A SOCOM in a wood stock, that's all. It's "inspired by the M1 Tanker."
waddahUno..... thas whikedcool

SAI did put out a Tanker M1 garand Its uglier than the M1a IMHO SAI put out other variants of the Garand in the early days
Springfield Armory (Inc.) M1 Tanker Semi-Automatic Rifle | Rock Island Auction

They also put out M1 garands but they where more expensive than CMP offerings
Springfield Armory Inc. M1 Garand Semi-Automatic Rifle with Box | Rock Island Auction... 4seasons had these for a while mid 2000s and I want to say they where $800

I think they even did BM59s?
Pretty sure they made a M1 carbine also?

Last edited:
“M1 tanker?”

Please. Tankers in WWII carried pistols, M3s, the occasional M1 carbine or Tommy gun... there were plenty of options out there for them. There was no need to redesign the Garand and devote scarce resources to producing yet another firearm.

It’s all marketing.

There's an easier way to make the M1's shorter. Just cut half of the butt stock off. There were two of these at Cabelas Berlin, just sitting there forever. Probably still there. Otherwise nice M1's, but half the butt stock was cut off and an old school but very small rubber butt pad mounted on each. Damn goofy looking, maybe even painful to look at. If they'd dump the price someone could put a decent stock on it but once they list something at a stupid price they'll usually only budge a hair.

Almost stopped in Cabelas after the heritage museum in hudson. Hit the NE air rifle place. Prerty cool place.
Im pretty much fun money broke for a while so no need to look . Plus my kids where whinning to gethome

There's an easier way to make the M1's shorter. Just cut half of the butt stock off. There were two of these at Cabelas Berlin, just sitting there forever. Probably still there. Otherwise nice M1's, but half the butt stock was cut off and an old school but very small rubber butt pad mounted on each. Damn goofy looking, maybe even painful to look at. If they'd dump the price someone could put a decent stock on it but once they list something at a stupid price they'll usually only budge a hair.

Hah! I saw those things a couple of years ago there and asked them WTF? They said they were made for kids to shoot lol. I'm sure it would fit a kid better but I don't know if I believe that story.

Hah! I saw those things a couple of years ago there and asked them WTF? They said they were made for kids to shoot lol. I'm sure it would fit a kid better but I don't know if I believe that story.

LOL, even with the butt pad the contact area was pretty small. I don't know who those kids were, but I wouldn't mess with them. I think I have seen some chopped stocks like that to better work for a handicapped person shooting from a wheelchair, or something like that.

Last edited:
I have a 'Tanker' or AKA 'Bulldog' Short Magazine Lee Enfield.
They were modified, marketed and sold by Gibbs or Century or some other importer way back when.
The Lithgow Arsenal made some similar Prototypes, the same way SA made the T26

Authentic? No, but it is pretty handy milsurp, and I didnt pay much for it.
My first thought was "why didnt they make them all like this?
Then I shot it.
Wow it was loud, and the muzzle flash was huge.
Its a pretty neat gun.

pix181011195.jpg

They were modified, marketed and sold by Gibbs or Century or some other importer way back when.

Then I shot it.
Its a pretty neat gun.

View attachment 296251

It's like a M44, but with a Brit accent. I like it. I don't like 'Tanker' Garands, however.

I love the question is the tanker that I have real? Well you have it in your hand so it is real,and the rifle was used by the military,
but not necessarily in that configuration.So there is your answer.

Then I shot it.
Its a pretty neat gun.

These Gibbs "Australian Jungle Carbines" were exactly what I thought of as soon as I read the first post in this thread. Take a No 5 flashguard, stick it on a bitser Mk III, and bob's your uncle.

“M1 tanker?”

Please. Tankers in WWII carried pistols, M3s, the occasional M1 carbine or Tommy gun... there were plenty of options out there for them. There was no need to redesign the Garand and devote scarce resources to producing yet another firearm.//
The M60A3 RISE tanks we had in Germany had M3’s as standard equipment for driver and loader. Nothing more modern would fit.

Most of the ones we had in the arms room were M3A1’s, but we had several M3’s with the cocking lever.

Back
Top Bottom