m1 carbine case head separation

8thring

Banned
i had an old box [ maybe 70's] of winchester soft points at the range sat.
ran a patch through the guns chamber before shooting. every other shot was a ftf: tried differnt magazines and still the same problem, one had no firing pin srike upon misfire, twice the gun ejected the case but the hammer did not cock ????. after 20 rounds i had a case head separation and gas hit my forehead.
dumped the ammo. anybody know what the hell iwent wrong and how to get the case out of the chamber without going to a gunsmith. i use s&b ammo most of the time with no problems. [crying][frown][angry]

Could also be bad ammo. The carbine headspaces on the case mouth so a short case could possibly have caused it. Of course I could be going in the completely wrong direction on this [laugh]. there are some other guys here who I am sure will chime in who really know there stuff. Finalygotabeltfed comes to mind....

i had an old box [ maybe 70's] of winchester soft points at the range sat.
ran a patch through the guns chamber before shooting. every other shot was a ftf: tried differnt magazines and still the same problem, one had no firing pin srike upon misfire, twice the gun ejected the case but the hammer did not cock ????. after 20 rounds i had a case head separation and gas hit my forehead.
dumped the ammo. anybody know what the hell iwent wrong and how to get the case out of the chamber without going to a gunsmith. i use s&b ammo most of the time with no problems. [crying][frown][angry]

You Rang?

Sounds like it fired out of battery.

Check the gas system for lead shavings.

Check the firing pin for proper protrusion.

Check to see if the gun fires with the bolt slightly unlocked.
(MAKE SURE ITS UNLOADED FIRST)

As for removing the piece of case in the chamber, try a broken case extractor for a .30 carbine. What ever you do, Don't go digging at it with any steel tools as you'll likely ruin the chamber.

Try here for the extractor:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=931380&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

Back
Top Bottom