• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M&P40 Troubles

So I figured I would ask here and see if I need to contact S&W for support.

So I was getting some range time with my M&P40 this evening when I encountered an odd problem. I was firing some speer 165 grain ammo when I had a spent casing get stuck in the chamber. I attempted to extract the casing by forcing the slide back and ejecting it, to no avail. I had to remove the slide from the frame and barrel from the slide ( not easy with a round in) to get at it. After pulling it out I cleaned the barrel and slide to reloaded. I now have 2 issues.

1.) The spent casings are not ejecting, and if they do they are mangled... maybe the extractor? After all that forcing it may be junk

2.) But the second issue is even if I can cycle rounds every other shot or so my magazine pops out on its own

These are the first issues I have had with the gun. I bought it used (manufactured 2007) less than a year ago and put about 400-500 rounds down range.

Appreciate the feedback! Thoughts?

Couple things: Is this the only ammo you've noticed this on, do you have any pics of it stuck in the barrel and also the "mangled" portion of the case? I'm assuming since you think it could be an extractor issue that the mangling is on the rim? does this happen only with one magazine and where are you located?

Also, you can take the magazine release out in about 3 seconds with a phillips head screwdriver. No springs or anything to lose, there's just a pin that holds it in with tension, get the phillips head in there behind the pin and move it over and around the mag release and the release just falls right out. Check that and make sure it's not bent down or missing any metal. I've never seen a S&W mag release actually break like that, but have seen it happen on the aftermarket ones, so you never know.

This is the first time I have seen this happen ya. I wasn't able to grab a photo but the casing was all the way into the chamber, in multiple attempts to rack it back to release it the slide moved back but the round remained. The cases that now, sometimes eject, are crumpled at the opening of the casing not the rim.

Problems are with any mag I use. What typically happens is I feed a round from the mag, fire, casing either shoots out mangled or gets crushed hanging in the action, the mag may drop slightly and no new round is chambered.

I'm located in Salem MA

If this happens with any ammo then it's probably better off just going to S&W, especially if the mags are popping out on there own. If you were closer to me, I'd take a look at it, if it's something like an extractor or release issue, then those are super cheap and easy fixes(literally under 10 dollars) but if it's messing up the case mouth, then something could be out of whack on the slide and I wouldn't want to mess with it and then have S&W deny you later on because of the home gunsmithing.

Edit: It could also be the ejector...(it's the metal peice sticking out from the sear housing block on the receiver, not the extractor on the slide) maybe take a pic of that before you send it? If something is wrong with the ejector, maybe that's bent over or something, then that could be putting pressure on the magazine when the slide comes back and also be forcing the case back into the barrel/slide at the wrong angle and screwing up the case mouth.

Last edited:
Looks exactly like mine. It could be the extractor, if it's got a weak spring and it's letting go of the case when you fire. That doesn't explain the mag dropping issue though and it would be hard to test on a bench. Also, taking out that extractor pin is a bitch, they switched over to roll pins for the newer ones, but those press fit ones are in there good enough to break a lot of punches. Call up S&W and see what they say.

Back
Top Bottom