M&P versus P99

I wasn't trying to insult you. I'm pretty much a noob. Basically just saying that those are both good guns and both are accurate. Unless you're a hall of fame shooter i doubt you would be able to tell (by shooting) which gun is technically "more accurate".

However, i will address your original question. During my basic pistol class i took in january to apply for my LTC i got to shoot both guns in 9mm. Before that i had my heart set on getting a sig229 once i got my license. I held a sig239 (didnt get to shoot though) during basic pistol and immediately decided that it was an incredibly uncomfortable gun to hold (for me).

I shot the walther p99 first and did ok with it. Then i shot the M&P9 and it was even more comfortable than the walther (which is also very ergonomic). My groups were way tighter and it just felt natural to me to aim it and all my shots hit POA.

So for me the decision is clear that i am getting an M&P. Your decision could be different. Maybe you'll decide that neither is right for you after shooting them both. I'll probably still get a sig one day but i think it's best if my first carry gun be one that i know i can shoot well and is comfortable.

Point is take any "which gun is better" advice on an internet message board with a giant grain of salt. You'll find people on message boards that swear any "plastic" gun is a POS. Others might say 1911's suck.

The only "which gun is better" advice I have received on the internet that isn't totally subjective and biased is when someone says to shoot it before buying it.

I see your point. I've fired the PPK, GLOCK 19, 26, Kimber 1911, M&P 9, 40 and a few others. I am more accurate (almost dead on with the M&P. Since the P99 sits better in my hand and I feel that will allow more control, I have this thought that I might shoot better with that than the M&P. Could be the opposite as well. I just haven't found a rental place in MD, DC, VA or WV that had the P99. Guess I'll have to move into other states.

You know what assumptions do right?

I may not own a gun but that doesn't mean I haven't fired one.

No, but you're obviously not clear on the point that most modern combat handguns will perform better than the average shooter is capable of using them.

There are a couple of commerical ranges in the DC/Metro area. I don't know if Blue Ridge Arsenal is still there but its worth a look, I think they had rentals. There's also another one in Virginia. I forget what it was called but it's also part of a store.

I did get the point. I understand that the gun itself is not to blame, nor will I be at a level to use it to that point. I guess what I meant is that one feels more like home than the other.

I'm usually over at Blue Ridge or the NRA range. NRA does not do rentals and BR does not have the P99 at all.

Thanks Everyone for all the information. It's helped alot.

I'm usually over at Blue Ridge or the NRA range. NRA does not do rentals and BR does not have the P99 at all.

Why don't you leave your contact information at the range bulletin board. Ask if anyone would be willing to let meet up with you and let you trial their Walther P99?
Best Regards.

Try Walther Formus.com I myself own several Walther's. If I may suggest the P99C AS. 9MM If you want the feel of a full fram gun but still want to conceal try it with a Mag extender and the large cap. I cannot say good bad or in-diffrent with regards to any other firearm.....Just continue to surf the web talk with people at your local gun club. In many cases they will let you try there gun's out. Many clubs are open to the public on certain days....good luck with what ever you pick.

I did get the point. I understand that the gun itself is not to blame, nor will I be at a level to use it to that point. I guess what I meant is that one feels more like home than the other.

If I can recall where that other place is, I'll let you know. It's a nice, if crowded, range/shop within an hour of DC somewhere in Virginia, but I forget exactly where.

Try looking up ranges within 100 miles of DC and give them all a call.

The posting at the range is a great idea. I've called almost everywhere I can think of as well as a couple places in PA. No luck.

I am looking at the 9mm for the P99 and .40 for the M&P. I know the S&W is has a promo ($50 rebate and two free mags) so I might do that until I can shoot the P99.

The posting at the range is a great idea. I've called almost everywhere I can think of as well as a couple places in PA. No luck.

I am looking at the 9mm for the P99 and .40 for the M&P. I know the S&W is has a promo ($50 rebate and two free mags) so I might do that until I can shoot the P99.

Don't forget about the SW99 which is the same as the P99.

All I can say is I have the 9mm P99 and it's been trouble free, and easy to strip, clean, and reassemble. The AS first trigger pull is longer, and this is to prevent a negligent discharge when you are under stress. The down side of course, is the extra split second counts in a life and death situation.

Having fired a non-mASS trigger, they are way easier to pull than a mASS one. Whatever you get, you should consider that you may need a trigger job in the future.

I noticed more recoil in the P99 than in a similar 9mm Para-Ordnance I fired, but ergonomically the P99 was easier to hold and manipulate for my hands.

You really have to try them all out and decide for yourself, my two cents is mechanically the P99 is an excellent gun and mechanically I don't think you can go wrong with it.

I hope this input helps you.

I have both and I prefer the Walther, which has a great trigger with a very nice, crisp reset. My M&P is a Massachusetts model, though, with a ridiculous trigger pull so it's conceivable I'd prefer the M&P if it had a better trigger. I plan to fix the trigger on my M&P soon.

The other advantage of the P-99 here in Massachusetts is that you can legally own high-capacity magazines for it, whereas the M&P is crippled with 10-round mags.

I have both and I prefer the Walther, which has a great trigger with a very nice, crisp reset. My M&P is a Massachusetts model, though, with a ridiculous trigger pull so it's conceivable I'd prefer the M&P if it had a better trigger. I plan to fix the trigger on my M&P soon.

The other advantage of the P-99 here in Massachusetts is that you can legally own high-capacity magazines for it, whereas the M&P is crippled with 10-round mags.

I'm in VA so we can have anything and everything. My friend has a Glock 19 with a 30 round mag. M&Ps come with 15rnd mags

Back
Top Bottom