• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M&P Shield

I have one for summer carry. I am a slim guy so I need something that does not print. In shorts and a T or Polo you could not tell it was on me. My trigger was not awful like some of the others out of the box but I got the Apex job and it is nice now. As said before, it's a decent gun and it will do the job. Maintenance is easy and I have not had a jam yet. The only issue I had was the white dot (for lack of a better term) came off the front sight about a year after I got it and I did notice some surface rust in the slide grips (lots of sweat in summer carry) but I chalk that up to me treating the gun poorly due to the price and not cleaning it properly when I put it away for the winter. For the money, I do think it is a good firearm.

All that said, I still can't wait until fall when my 1911 double stack comes out however [grin]

Last edited:
excellent 9mm. >2k rounds w/o a hiccup. very easy to shoot.
still prefer P9/PM9, PPS or sig P938 but thats all personal preference.

Oh, another thing I might mention is that because usually I carry a 1911, I am use to carrying in Position 1 so mentally having a safety was appealing to me for motor skills consistency between firearms. [insert ridicule about carrying a striker on safe here]

Very much like mine. Shoots well, trigger is OK out of the box (free state) but could be better, will do an apex job eventually. Also need to replace the sights, want the Ameriglo.

My BIL just got the new 9 with no external safety. Pretty nice trigger out of the box. I think it's a great gun for the price but chose the 938 personally.

I currently carry a Sig P239 and have been ogling the 938 because the 239 is a bit heavy. I like the "sporter' version of the 938. I am also thinking I would prefer something with no external hammer. I own and used to carry the S&W M&P 9c.

I have sold a few guns lately and just looking to find something that is easier to conceal than the 239.

Great carry gun as outlined in many of the other feedback threads. If you havent tried out I encourage you to do so. My trigger was crisp out of the box. A little on the heavy side but at least it wasnt a gritty turd.

- - - Updated - - -

I currently carry a Sig P239 and have been ogling the 938 because the 239 is a bit heavy. I like the "sporter' version of the 938. I am also thinking I would prefer something with no external hammer. I own and used to carry the S&W M&P 9c.

I have sold a few guns lately and just looking to find something that is easier to conceal than the 239.

IMO the shield is not a pocket gun. the 238 is smaller than the shield.

Great carry gun as outlined in many of the other feedback threads. If you havent tried out I encourage you to do so. My trigger was crisp out of the box. A little on the heavy side but at least it wasnt a gritty turd.

- - - Updated - - -

IMO the shield is not a pocket gun. the 238 is smaller than the shield.

I carry a 239. This is much larger than the shield. The 938 is about the same size as the shield. The 238 (.380) is slightly smaller still. I'm not so much looking for a pocket gun. If I was I think I might look at a bodyguard or LCP (and I really don't care for them) or something similar. I would prefer to stay in the 9mm world.

You can definitely pocket the shield, but it's not ideal. You'll need some pockets on the larger side. Also, I just learned that there's a magguts kit for the shield. 8+1 in a pocket isn't bad, and neither is 9+1 on your belt.

1000+ rounds through mine and never a problem. my nephew is a cop and carries one for backup.Thought about a trigger job but like it as it is. Dickens on the thumb when I forget my reloader but as I get older I am getting soft:)

Love my 938, it's my po boy 1911! It disappears under a t- shirt, maybe a coat pocket. The new model shield is a good gun at a decent price but factor in night sights possibly a trigger job and they cost the same for a plastic gun.

Love my 938, it's my po boy 1911! It disappears under a t- shirt, maybe a coat pocket. The new model shield is a good gun at a decent price but factor in night sights possibly a trigger job and they cost the same for a plastic gun.

well, there's the rub.

I prefer to be able to take it out of the box and not "upgrade" it a bunch. I may just wait until the 43 comes out and try them both out side by side. (I can't believe I am considering a Block)

The price of shield makes it attractive enough for any one just to buy one. I've owned a couple. Not to bad. I will say one of them had some issues with WWB.

Sent from my mobile phone from behind enemy lines.

Ive been thru a bunch of carry pistols, and always revert back to the shield. With a apex trigger job, you cant go wrong. Slim, accurate and very reliable.

excellent 9mm. >2k rounds w/o a hiccup. very easy to shoot.
still prefer P9/PM9, PPS or sig P938 but thats all personal preference.

Four season has 4 different variations of the 938 right now. Rosewood grip model, sport model, scorpion, and extreme. Very temping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well, there's the rub.

I prefer to be able to take it out of the box and not "upgrade" it a bunch. I may just wait until the 43 comes out and try them both out side by side. (I can't believe I am considering a Block)
Pinch, you don't believe for a second that you will get anything but the shitty Glock OEM sights, do you? You'll have to upgrade those as well.

Just picked up my Shield at Four Seasons today. Very nice. Went in to get the Kahr PM9 but for the price difference I went with the Shield since I will rarely carry and they both had good reviews.

My 9mm Shield was having some extraction issues when I first got it. Sent it back to S&W and they sent it back about a month or two later. Haven't had any problems with it since. Slim profile is great for concealed carry, especially with my G-Code INCOG holster. Trigger could definitely used some work, but other than that I am happy with it.

Not a fan. Owned one for all of a week when they first came out. I wanted to love it but couldn't. Too big for comfortable pocket carry . In a holster it was actually longer in the grip axis than my M&P 9C so printed more. My biggest problem with it though was that (even after an apex sear) I found it difficult to get any accuracy out of it as it seemed to have notable muzzle flip and the grip was so thin it was hard to get a good grip on it. Honestly , I found the M&P compact( or glock 26) to be a much better option for a number of reasons.
Your opinions my differ.

Just picked up my Shield at Four Seasons today. Very nice. Went in to get the Kahr PM9 but for the price difference I went with the Shield since I will rarely carry and they both had good reviews.

Did FS have the Kahr PM9 in stock, stainless and or black? How many dollars, thanks.

I too like the Shield. When I first got it I was shooting low right. Found out I was not gripping it right, was not fully pushing hand into it, hand was laying back a little. Now it us the gun I dreamed it would be.

Pinch, you don't believe for a second that you will get anything but the shitty Glock OEM sights, do you? You'll have to upgrade those as well.

LOL. No. But I figure if I am shooting at someone its likely to be close distance and I dont need sights for that!

My edc it's easy to conceal, no printing. Had an issue with front sight, s&w took care of it and polished feed ramp, no issues since

I'm extremely annoyed by the ma version of the Pm9. No clue why they had to put that God awful loaded indicator lever on the top. Why not a hole? Will never own one because of that. Call me crazy...

Sent from my mobile phone from behind enemy lines.

Back
Top Bottom