M&P Pistol- MA vs other triggers.. more than I thought

FYI,

I've confirmed this... although S&W can't tell me exactly what is different in our own, very special MA triggers.

-Obviously the sear assembly (and our have a bigger spring/plunger under the sear)
-DIFFERENT trigger return spring AND trigger bar as well!

I didn't know about this return spring and trigger bar and was surprised at how strong the return spring is on our MA special triggers.

I think this one is going to Burwell.... too many variables to deal with on this one. Bummer too because compared to my moded .40 M&P- my new 9mm feels like a truck compared to a sports car... and that's WITH the std sear assembly...

[crying]

I have e-mailed him asking about this. So far I have not heard back from him. I get worried about legal issues if I ever had to shoot someone or the gun ever accidentially went off and hit someone. I don't know the law about modifying a Massachusetts compliant trigger

I get worried about legal issues if I ever had to shoot someone or the gun ever accidentially went off and hit someone.

LOTS to worry about here! If these things ever happen you'll be up to your neck in legal problems.

Modifying a MA trigger will be the absolute least of your troubles at that point.

Not for nothing, but I make it a policy to NEVER modify any of my carry guns n any significant way at all. No trigger jobs, reloaded SD ammo, laser sights etc.

Obviously this is not "illegal" to do, but as screwed up as this dump of a state is, if I ever had to use the gun SD-wise, I'm not giving the prosecution any additional "ammo" (pun intended) to use against me.

603, here I come.

For the record... this is a gun I will only use in competition.. it only sees action at the range. But that's an other topic anyway.

I do have to say, after about 3000 rounds the trigger feels MUCH BETTER than when I got it. Put some rounds through it, mine has definatley "broken in"

Well, putting the standard spring into the MA trigger assembly reduces the pull weight to the standard weight, and I'm happy with it.

Once I find the cash it will go to Burwell, but for now a 6.5 pounder is good enough for me.

No legal issues whatsoever with changing the spring, especially if you just swap springs out, because it's a factory standard part that is installed in the vast majority of M&Ps.

Well, putting the standard spring into the MA trigger assembly reduces the pull weight to the standard weight, and I'm happy with it.

Once I find the cash it will go to Burwell, but for now a 6.5 pounder is good enough for me.

No legal issues whatsoever with changing the spring, especially if you just swap springs out, because it's a factory standard part that is installed in the vast majority of M&Ps.

Thats my plan, 6.5 LB trigger seems to be ok for me

I have used such a trigger and loved it. What I don't love is the price tag on the conversion ($50 plus overnight both ways) getting in the way of more milsurp acquisitions.

I have used such a trigger and loved it. What I don't love is the price tag on the conversion ($50 plus overnight both ways) getting in the way of more milsurp acquisitions.

The trick is to buy each caliber in each frame size, 9mm, 40 cal, 45 cal, full size, and compact, then ship them all in at one time for the trigger work and only pay the shipping one time. I'm sure that once you average it all out you will see you are saving a fortune! [smile]

Don't thank me .......... I learned this shopping method from my wife! [rofl]

A friend of mine has a mp 40 that has been sent back to SW because of mags dropping out which is a real problem with some of these guns. I think I will hold off awhile until the bugs are work out.I had down payment on a mp9 but used that $$ on a nice refurb g19 which Im real happy with and with that 10lb trigger on the mp its not a selling point. Just my 2 cents.

The mag dropping is no longer an issue. I can't stand the grip angle on Glocks which is why I sold mine and bought a M&P. No regrets.

The mag dropping is no longer an issue. I can't stand the grip angle on Glocks which is why I sold mine and bought a M&P. No regrets.

Over on M&P forums alot of owners are still having magazines falling out problems. But I hope your right I plan on getting a M&P someday. Grip angle or not I shoot Glocks as good as any other brands of handguns I own, but thats just me.

Over on M&P forums alot of owners are still having magazines falling out problems. But I hope your right I plan on getting a M&P someday. Grip angle or not I shoot Glocks as good as any other brands of handguns I own, but thats just me.

No Kaboom problems with the M&Ps though... JUST KIDDING. Agree... to each his own. On one hand I like trying different guns and see what the strengths and weaknesses are...at least relative to me, on the other hand it's a little frustrating finding the right one.

Here's what I don't like about the M&P: three dot sights- can't seem to get used to them, required (IMO) trigger work.

Here's what is great about the M&P IMO:
Great grip size compared to other double stack guns, just fits well (very important to me)- optional grip swells, easily accessible mag drop, etc. Seems very well balanced when shooting, S&W support, you can buy them new at great prices.

I have had mine for about 2 months. The only time I ever had a problem was casings not ejecting. That was with Wolf ammo. I bought some American Eagle, no problems since.

Wolf ammo is hit or miss in just about every caliber. Some guns love them, others will puke, in a manner of speaking, if you try to feed it to them.

They break in good, just keep pulling the trigger back(hundereds of times) to get the grittyness out, and just shoot it. For all of my M&P's, get around 1000ish rounds and then post on how it is. Otherwise there is no law against getting a trigger job.

Who and where is Burwell

Sounds like you guys like his work. Is it automatics only, or revolvers as well?

Thanks

I don't know anyone who has had work done by Dan on anything but the M&P. His work on my M&P (2 of them one now owned by another forum members here) was excellent and worth the cost of the job and the added cost of the shipping. His service was great with a less than one week turn around. I suspect that changes. There is also another person doing work that is highly regarded. Check the M&P forum.

As for revolver work, I do my own S&W work [wink]

Maybe I am mistaken. Do the original free state trigger/sears parts fit into the Mass compliant pistol? It sounds like the Mass version has been modified with a larger pin, and different internal parts that would make it difficult to replace them with the original parts.

Maybe I am mistaken. Do the original free state trigger/sears parts fit into the Mass compliant pistol? It sounds like the Mass version has been modified with a larger pin, and different internal parts that would make it difficult to replace them with the original parts.

Yes, the std sear assembly is a drop in part to a MA gun. The MA assembly has a std sear but it has a larger spring/plunger in it. However- as I have learned first hand, it is NOT the only thing that is different. The trigger return spring is much bigger/tighter than the std one. Fairly easy to replace. The trigger bar is also different... the MA one has a steeper ramp that engages with the sear. I think removing the trigger bar is the trickiest of the three to replace. Seems to be shortage of these at Brownells as well.. I wonder why... [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom