M&P 9 compact shooters

MJM

For any M&P 9 compact shooters have you experienced the gun shooting to the left or not point of aim as well as other pistols you may shoot. I have been shooting for many years and i have yet to encounter a pistol that seemingly consistently shoots to the left.i know my diagnostic shooters chart well and have tried different trigger finger placement and support hand stuff to no avail. below is a typical group for me with any pistol. just curious to see if others have had a similar experience. i will likely adjust my rear sight, but again wondered if this was a regular occurence.

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs161.snc1/6012_1124627609361_1637271249_306254_6502969_n.jpg

I owned the M&P 9c before trading for the M&P 40c, all of my shots still group to the left but I just figured it's because both my accuracy and shooting require so much work. Have you tried swapping between the different grips?

I believe shooting to the left - correct me - charts in the "too much trigger finger" area. I too shoot MP9C, PPS, SW9VE and G17. Over the past few years I have subconsciously become accustomed to the subtle difference between them. Sometimes though, like lately with my SW9VE LEFTY GROUPS have come to mean something more than Coakley supporters [smile]...and somewhat of a disappointing result. So much so I found myself thinking of adjusting the sight or aiming right to compensate.

Of course an important note...I used to shoot my SW9VE DEAD ON.

One of two things are happening. Either 1) your rear sight shifted, OR 2) you are consistently screwing up [smile] (producing left groups that make it look like the sight but it's really a bad but consistent habit). LOL

I suggest you take a step back and approach the firearm anew with a BEGINNER frame of mind for 10+ rounds. Fire one at a time and put the gun down between shots to refocus. During shots focus on all the components of stance, grip, allignment, etc... That could help tell you if its the gun or if it's a consistent bad habit. Or shoot it from the bench on a rest.

VERY nice grouping in the pic by the way.

For any M&P 9 compact shooters have you experienced the gun shooting to the left or not point of aim as well as other pistols you may shoot. I have been shooting for many years and i have yet to encounter a pistol that seemingly consistently shoots to the left.i know my diagnostic shooters chart well and have tried different trigger finger placement and support hand stuff to no avail. below is a typical group for me with any pistol. just curious to see if others have had a similar experience. i will likely adjust my rear sight, but again wondered if this was a regular occurence.

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs161.snc1/6012_1124627609361_1637271249_306254_6502969_n.jpg

thanks guys for the info. Steve sounds like a similar story to mine, including the disappointment[angry]. i have become frustrated for i thought it would be my new CCW[crying]. Although, not previously stated i have only put 200 rds. through it and have been criticized by one of my shooting buddies for being too "critical"[slap]. I will however follow your advice and start as a newbie and see where it goes. thanks again guys

Yes I too have noticed it shoots left .. although Im a newby I read the training chart as well and I have adjusted my grip as well as my trigger finger it help close my groupings up but still to the left and slightly up

Attachments

• 18964_255672893433_618078433_3434573_4367552_n.jpg
    18964_255672893433_618078433_3434573_4367552_n.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
this weekend i plan on really watching trigger finger placement and hoping that after a few hundred rounds more and being uber cautious about placement things will look better. we'll see.thanks

I would say nice shooting, very good group. I have a FS 40 and I had to adjust my rear sight also. I am just uses't to adjusting my sights as I am a leftie and I find most stock guns biest to a right handed shooter.

Do you have the laser on it? I have the CT grip laser on mine and I love it.

Nice shooting.

My M&P wasn't shooting point of Aim out of the box either Your typical group indicates you know how to control a trigger. Drift your rear sight and you're good to go.

Thanks guys. If no change tomorrow AM with really watching my trigger finger i will adjust the sights. love the gun otherwise but this has been a little frustrating.

i do call them, but i will revert tomorrow to being "surprised" by each shot tomorrow just to verify that it is not me. pretty sure its the sights based on history.

If you can call your shots, then you already know you need to adjust your sights, because trigger pull, flinch, etc have no influence on POA/POI issues

I had the same trouble with my FS40, however it was my first gun and I was issued my LTC the day prior. So to say I was a newbie would be an understatement. I followed all of the tips I could after trying to blame my sights and almost paying AG Guns to resight the thing. On Greg's recommendation I kept at it and focused more on everything that was happening (without compensating my aim right to make up for poor placement). My placement started to tighten up and group much better. I still get the flyaway when my focus goes or I get lazy, but for the most part I would say my experience was the handling and not the sights. Also, when I shot a M&P45 with the S&W pro trigger I have never had tighter groups. I blame the heavy trigger for a lot of my scatter shot and plan to have Derr free me of that constraint shortly. Do you still have the stock trigger?

yeah, still have the stock trigger. its pretty gritty but i only have 200rds through the gun. i am hoping it will get better. any suggestions for a smith should it not?

I have shot well over 1000 rds in my 40 (including a few hundred 9mm with my conversion barrel) and the gritty-ness is a bit less but still noticable during a slow squeeze. I have heard lots of great things about Greg Derr and Milke Larocca. but I don't know if there is someone closer to you. I still need the trigger done, but seeing as this is my CCW I am still unsure about the legality of a better trigger. Technically if its a competition gun its a no brainer get the trigger done, but with a CCW, though perfectly legal to adjust to your needs and wishes, can cause some trouble should you ever use it in a defensive manner? (I'm just a parrot repeating what I heard so please don't roast me if you think me uneducated on the matter)

I disagree that adjusting the sights will help on this pistol. I learned to shot my M&P as well as any of our other guns by consciously being aware of my trigger finger. I found it to be wrapping around the M&P trigger for some reason. Once I corrected that all was good.

this morning's shooting. constantly being careful of trigger finger placement, sight alignment/picture and grip. this is 40 rounds. still going to the left as you can see. group remains tight, outside of the two fliers [thinking]. did not have time to drift sights this AM, but will do sometime this week and repost results. we'll see.

19580_1252926896763_1637271249_616590_2933682_n.jpg

Last edited:
I would say nice shooting, very good group. I have a FS 40 and I had to adjust my rear sight also. I am just uses't to adjusting my sights as I am a leftie and I find most stock guns biest to a right handed shooter.

Do you have the laser on it? I have the CT grip laser on mine and I love it.

Nice shooting.

Thanks. and i think i will adjust the sights based on todays results. I dont have the CT grips but i'm definitely considering that as well. what bacjstrap size would you say the CT grips compare to??

There is a drop in sear available from Apextactical that's supposed to produce a nice trigger, if your handy and a Smith is'nt. I would say the CT's are in between a medium and a large, kind of like a fat medium.

Thanks. and i think i will adjust the sights based on todays results. I dont have the CT grips but i'm definitely considering that as well. what bacjstrap size would you say the CT grips compare to??

Acording to CT they say the grip is just a little larger than the medium grip. I like them even with my bear paws they work great. I went with the S&W one's to get the S&W logo but the CT one's are the same they just have the CT logo. You will really like them.

Nice shooting still, looks great.

Good Luck.

here is pistol rest results. POA was center of target and POI was to the left. sights drifted today but not at range. Will fine tune this week after sights adjusted. love this gun otherwise
22680_1259769067813_1637271249_630122_946658_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom