• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M&P .45 acp

SA John

Banned
Just handled one of these and liked the way it felt in my hand. Trigger wasn't great, but I think you can get used to about anything and it should get better with use. What I was wondering is: how reliable (feeding-wise) are these Smith autos? You guys who own the 9s and .40 cal M&Ps, have you had good luck with reliability? Thanks for any help.

John

62,333 rounds in under 7 months and 0 malfunctions http://pistol-training.com/archives/985

i have a m&p 40c and will never part with it! i also have a 4053TSW that has more is aproching its 7500th round and hasnt has a single malfunction ever, even shooting the cheapest ammo i can find.

S&W autos (witht he exception of the sigma's) are A+ in my book.

62,333 rounds in under 7 months and 0 malfunctions http://pistol-training.com/archives/985

i have a m&p 40c and will never part with it! i also have a 4053TSW that has more is aproching its 7500th round and hasnt has a single malfunction ever, even shooting the cheapest ammo i can find.

S&W autos (witht he exception of the sigma's) are A+ in my book.

You confirm what I have long felt about S&W auto pistols, and frankly I wouldn't knock the Sigma that much either. I know of shooters who like them and have good luck with them.

Mark L.

It seems most people don't have any issues with there M&P's wich is why i went with it. I bought a M&P9c in the spring for CC. I have put about 1500 rounds threw it. It likes to jam on me. It doesn't eject the rounds all the time. Its possible it may be me, But so far or until i figure out what is going on or get more range time, i so for am not 100% pleased with it. Though there is a lot of positive feed back about the M&P's, I would not steer you away from this weapon.

[iwojima]

Just handled one of these and liked the way it felt in my hand. Trigger wasn't great, but I think you can get used to about anything and it should get better with use. What I was wondering is: how reliable (feeding-wise) are these Smith autos? You guys who own the 9s and .40 cal M&Ps, have you had good luck with reliability? Thanks for any help.

John

i've had my m&p9 for a few months now, and have put countless number of rounds through it, not a single failure...the only thing i don't like about it, is that the rounds in the magazines will rattle, but i hear i just have to stretch out the magazine spring? anyone confirm this? or is it just me?

I have a rattle in some of my .40 mags.
I have access to a M&P .45 compact. I hope to take it out Friday and see what it does. I was surprised that it's not much smaller than my full size .40.

.the only thing i don't like about it, is that the rounds in the magazines will rattle, but i hear i just have to stretch out the magazine spring? anyone confirm this? or is it just me?

I have found mine to rattle. But what I do is tap the mag on its side when loading the mag and give it a good tap on the bottom of the mag w the palm of my hand when loading the mag back into the weapon and its fine.

I had a few FTF's with my M&P40C, but they stopped after I had about 400 rounds through it and had polished the feed ramp. I really like the gun, and would recommend it to others. I've had FTF's in other new semi-autos until they were "seasoned", especially hand fitted 1911's.

Don't stretch out your magazine springs. It actually weakens the spring.

So they are selling the M&P .45s in MA?

Anyone know if they (.45) will be offered with a 5" barrel like the M&P9L or M&P9 Pro series and/or be offered with a stainless slide?

Anyone know if the compacts will be offered with different colored frames and slides?

If the L and Pro series have a semi-customized trigger for the real world, then it won't ever be available from dealers in MA. I had asked the question about the JG model of someone tightly connected with JG and S&W and the answer was that there will never be a MA compliant model, as it would defeat the nice smooth trigger job on all the JG units sold in the Free World.

If the L and Pro series have a semi-customized trigger for the real world, then it won't ever be available from dealers in MA. I had asked the question about the JG model of someone tightly connected with JG and S&W and the answer was that there will never be a MA compliant model, as it would defeat the nice smooth trigger job on all the JG units sold in the Free World.

WTF. I just want the 5" barrel/slide with a little bling damn it.

Still may get the compact, though. Just wouldn't want to get one then find they are gonna offer them with stainless slides and/or different color frames.

It seems most people don't have any issues with there M&P's wich is why i went with it. I bought a M&P9c in the spring for CC. I have put about 1500 rounds threw it. It likes to jam on me. It doesn't eject the rounds all the time. Its possible it may be me, But so far or until i figure out what is going on or get more range time, i so for am not 100% pleased with it. Though there is a lot of positive feed back about the M&P's, I would not steer you away from this weapon.

[iwojima]

Not going to tout a firearm but I have my second Kimber in .45 ACP. My first was the Grand Raptor II and the second is the Gold Match II. Have used Kimber mags, Wilson mags, and (my fav) Chip McCormic mags. Never a FTF with any of them, accuracy is dead on, and both are a pleasure to own and work with.

Grin, am not tied with Kimber in any way....just a happy camper.

I have about 3500-4000 rnds through my 45 and Have never once had a FTF or FTE. A few of the Mags did rust after and rainy day.

-DM-

I actually really liked mine but sold it and kind of regret it. I am thinking of getting another one but I don't want the thumb safety or mag disconnect this time.

I'd still don't like my M+P .45 at all. I completely gave up on it. I need to sell it and buy another H&K I think....

+1

I got a hold of an M&P 45 just after they were released and shot it side by side with my XD 45 for about a month.

The XD won in every category except ergonomics.

Granted I love the way the M&P fits in my hand, but the trigger (free state trigger) was terrible, I hated the trigger reset, the load chamber indicator was useless, there was no hammer indicator, and it was ridiculous to take down.

I don't recall having an functional problem, though, so from my perspective it was reliable.

But I sold it and bought another XD, so what does that tell you?

I don't know exactly. Maybe I'm spoiled with shooting the Mk23 Socom fairly often, but the M+P seems so "blah". It doesn't do ANYTHING exceptionally well at all, and I'd say it's average at best in most categories.

1: The trigger is a JOKE. And I've got a free-state gun with none of the nanny state BS on it. Mine tested out at 7 pounds, which is not the worst by any means, but it's a bad 7 pounds: scratchy, rough inconsistent pull with a long reset and no "feeling" whatsoever.

2: I don't like the way it points. I've got two Glocks as well (which I like) so I'm not one of those "plastic guns are soulless, grip angles wrong blah blah blah" types. I just don't dig it.

3: It feels "unrefined". It's the same feeling I get when I sit in a late model Camaro (No offense intended to Camaro drivers here). It says to me: "I was built with no particular shining attributes, I'm not particularly good at anything, I don't entirely suck but I'm not gonna win any awards either, and there's a bunch of products for a little more money that blow me out of the water."

I know that some folks really like theirs, and I don't like to pee in people's Wheaties, so when a discussion comes up I either keep my mouth shut or say something like "I don't dig mine, anyone want it?".

I don't dig mine, anyone want it? [wink]

I'll take that wretched thing off your hands. Just leave it at HSC with a signed FA-10 and I'll make sure it never bothers you again [wink]

Thanks all for your input. I just picked up an M&P .45 acp without the thumb safety, the mag safety or the key lock thingy on the side. Haven't fired it yet, but did make up a bunch of dummy rounds without primers or powder and with all sorts of bullet shapes to cycle through the gun. Everything fed nicely - even 255gr LSWC. Mag looks to load almost straight into the chamber. This can only help. Oh, and I did polish the ramp first as it was quite rough, (400 to 600 paper). I'll bring it along to MRA Sunday for the steel shoot if you're over that way and want to see it. I plan to shoot a 625 and will not have time to sight-in and work up loads for the M&P in time. Still, it'll be there to fondle.

John

I

3: It feels "unrefined". It's the same feeling I get when I sit in a late model Camaro (No offense intended to Camaro drivers here). It says to me: "I was built with no particular shining attributes, I'm not particularly good at anything, I don't entirely suck but I'm not gonna win any awards either, and there's a bunch of products for a little more money that blow me out of the water."

+1 You said it so well. This has been the problem with so many Smith and Wesson products over the years. Much of the loss of the law enforcement market in the 1980's and 1990's can be attributed, I feel, to products that reflected exactly what you allude to. I am a S&W fan,own stock in the company, and have always liked their metal semi-autos of all three generations and have a small collection of S&W semi-autos, but when I went down to the S&W Academy to take a course, I used my Sig P229 because it is the best traditional DA auto I own. Granted, Glock outmarketed them in the 1980's and 1990's too, but that is another story for another time.

Mark L.

Soon, S&W has ordered the "MA compliant" frames so once the supplier ships them to S&W it won't take long to get them out to the public.

Just have to get your trigger fixed.

Wow, they have different frames? I thought it was just the trigger housing (or whatever it's called). It the frame just different on the inside?

Do the compacts have different frames as well?

I'm really thinking of getting an M&P compact to replace my P239 Sig.

I like the M&P the trigger is so so. mine is a free state model. I have a XD45 compact and hate the trigger, to me its to spongy in the begining. The gun itself is pretty good.

Wow, they have different frames? I thought it was just the trigger housing (or whatever it's called). It the frame just different on the inside?

Do the compacts have different frames as well?

I'm really thinking of getting an M&P compact to replace my P239 Sig.

The frames are the same for MA versions and "Free state" versions except for MA getting the heavy trigger pull. S&W buys the frames complete.

Back
Top Bottom