Lung Protection

I shoot bullseye and whenever I'm indoors (most of the year) we all use this 3M half face 6000 respirator. It's thin and won't interfere with your shooting. Make sure you get the 3M 2091 or 2097 Filters as they are rated for lead dust. You can buy these online anywhere - shop around - I could care less if people think I look stupid. I think people will understand why you're wearing it and hopefully they'll wonder if they should be too.

or this one

[URL="http://www.coopersafety.com/product/3m-2091-p100-filter-2-pack-1594.aspx"]http://www.coopersafety.com/product/3m-2091-p100-filter-2-pack-1594.aspx

You can see the respirator on the right side of the page

For 12 or 13 bucks why not protect yourself? It's the cheapest thing i've found to spend my money on while being involved in shooting, and it brings the most benefit.

Last edited:
Just wanted to stop by and say thanks again for all the replies. When I started the thread I didn't even realize that lead was the problem. I was assuming it was just powder/smoke in the air from shooting that was bothering my wife's asthma. Now I realize the issue is much more serious. We'll be stopping by Walmart or Lowe's tonight to see if they stock the 3M 6000 series respirators and will start using them when shooting indoors.

My wife's "looking stupid" comment comes from the fact that she thought it was just particulates in the air. The guys that work at the range wear full-face masks when going into the shooting area and if you don't realize they are protecting against lead, then they do kinda look stupid. However, knowing the purpose puts a drastically different spin on the issue. We really like shooting indoors and only go once every week or two for an hour. So, I think the 6000 series respirator will be of great benefit.

Thanks again,
Brett

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks again for all the replies. When I started the thread I didn't even realize that lead was the problem. I was assuming it was just powder/smoke in the air from shooting that was bothering my wife's asthma. Now I realize the issue is much more serious. We'll be stopping by Walmart or Lowe's tonight to see if they stock the 3M 6000 series respirators and will start using them when shooting indoors.

My wife's "looking stupid" comment comes from the fact that she thought it was just particulates in the air. The guys that work at the range wear full-face masks when going into the shooting area and if you don't realize they are protecting against lead, then they do kinda look stupid. However, knowing the purpose puts a drastically different spin on the issue. We really like shooting indoors and only go once every week or two for an hour. So, I think the 6000 series respirator will be of great benefit.

Thanks again,
Brett

It probably isn't the lead specifically that's causing her asthma to flare up but regardless she needs a respirator and/or to shoot somewhere else. Most people with asthma are irritated by aerosols from fires, cooking oil, road dust, etc.

If you do use a respirator take some time to get one that fits well. Not all faces are the same and consequently respirators come in a variety of shapes and sizes. You'll want to do some sort of "fit test" to be sure it is effective. Also, remember it will REDUCE your exposure--not eliminate it--so continue to avoid these situations when possible. Don't be fooled in to thinking, "because I have this mask I can stand on the range all day without consequences".

Last edited:
I use the 3M 7503 with the P100 particle filters, as do some of the others on our pistol team. Don't always wear it, depending on the range we're shooting at. I actually feel more relaxed when I wear it (so I should wear it all the time), as it reminds me of scuba diving which also relaxes me.

If you stopped by the Lunenburg club, where range ventilation (and heat, but that's another matter) is an unknown concept, on Monday evenings when we shoot our Bullseye matches, you'd see masks at about half the positions on the line. I'm the Captain of the team and feel some responsibility to keep everyone healthy so I've tried to get all of our team to start wearing respirators, but haven't been totally successful yet.

With regard to the source(s) of the lead at indoor ranges, there's relatively little data but (as usual) no shortage of speculation. The major potential sources include (1) lead from the bullet that enters the range atmosphere as the bullet passes out of the gun - finely divided from friction and volatilized from the heat of the burning powder; (2) bullet lead that splashes when the bullet hits the backstop; and (3) lead from the priming compound, which is lead styphnate in modern ammunition. Of those three, there appears to be some consensus that the major problem is the priming compound - the primer in the .22LR ammo I use (Eley priming compound in Aguila ammunition) has a very distinctive smell, and I know I can smell it on every shot (the respirator P100 filters remove the lead, but not the odor).

With regard to reloading, the major source of exposure would be lead on the hands that later enters the body with smoking or eating. That one's easily taken care of - just wash your hands well immediately after reloading and don't eat or smoke (duh!) while reloading. I know some guys who wear thin nitrile gloves when handling lead, but transfer through the skin (the dermal absorption factor) for lead is very low and I don't think gloves are necessary.

I'm not a bullet caster, and don't know much about exposure via that activity. I've read opinions that span the full range from "don't do it indoors no matter how good your ventilation is" to "so little lead volatilizes during casting that you don't need to worry." If it were me, I'd worry plenty, maintain good ventilation, and wear my respirator.

Another potential exposure route is gun cleaning and there is some limited evidence that solvents may accelerate the absorption of lead through the skin. I've started to wear cheap disposable nitrile gloves when I clean guns, which has the added benefit of keeping the solvent away from your skin, lead or no lead. I like the smell of Hoppe's as well as anyone, but I don't need it on my hands for hours after doing a little gun cleaning.

That's about as much as I know on the subject, other than to add that lead poisoning is not some myth that the tree-huggers have cooked up. It's real, and it can hurt you. I strongly recommend that any gun hobbyist have their doctor add serum lead to their blood testing as part of their regular physicals. Then at least you know where you stand and can make an informed decision on what, if anything, to do about it.

Dick,

Thanks for the very thoughtful response. That helps a lot.

Like Dick and RGS (who I agree with entirely) I too want to make sure people are aware of potential problems/risks. I didn't go to the range 4 times/week and I always wash my hands. I reload and practice what I think is good hygiene. My levels were still very high. I had headaches for at least a couple years and could never find the source. I've eliminated indoor shooting for just this last month and my headaches are all but gone now and my BLLs have dropped from 56 to 40. The thing is you can't tell how much lead exposure you are getting from shooting, reloading, etc... only by a blood test. But indoors or outdoors- if you smell smoke you can bet your ass you are getting some lead exposure.

I'm convinced that if you eliminate indoor shooting and wash regularly you will be in good shape. If you do shoot indoors, you will get lead in your bloodstream. Get a respirator that fits well to minimize your risk!

Man, this has really opened my eyes and I will take a lot more precautions.

I don't shoot as often as some of you guys but still want to be safe. Who needs more health problems.

Man, this has really opened my eyes and I will take a lot more precautions.

I don't shoot as often as some of you guys but still want to be safe. Who needs more health problems.

This thread is making me feel good about my decision to quit Mass Rifle, join Harvard and forget about indoor ranges.

To the OP, I suggest buying a down jacket and just shoot outside. Filtration is great but when it comes to asthma or similar problems with particulates, eliminating the source is better.

Dick,

Thanks for the very thoughtful response. That helps a lot.

Thanks for the kind words, Titan. I just wanted to add that in addition to actually shooting at an indoor range, cleaning up the range after shooting is another likely source. We sweep up the range after every session at a couple of my ranges, and there's always a good bit of dust, which I'm sure has a high concentration of lead, that gets kicked into the air. I keep my respirator on until all cleanup is completed and I'm out of the actual range area. One of the earlier posts mentioned employees at a commercial range who wear full-face respirators when they're cleaning up - there's a good reason for that.

I see the respirators come in different sizes - any pointers on how big these are, and fitting?

Can't help too much there, I'm afraid. I'm a pretty average-size guy (5'10" 185), so I just ordered the medium and it fits me fine. You could try calling the vendor and see if they have any guidance for you.

Thanks for the kind words, Titan. I just wanted to add that in addition to actually shooting at an indoor range, cleaning up the range after shooting is another likely source. We sweep up the range after every session at a couple of my ranges, and there's always a good bit of dust, which I'm sure has a high concentration of lead, that gets kicked into the air. I keep my respirator on until all cleanup is completed and I'm out of the actual range area. One of the earlier posts mentioned employees at a commercial range who wear full-face respirators when they're cleaning up - there's a good reason for that.

I shoot at a range down in Georgia, occasionally, and there are spent shells on the floor and A LOT of dust. People do sweep up the brass, but it seems it's always dirty and dusty.

I never gave it much thought before, but will be very discriminating in the future about where I shoot indoors and definitely plan to keep a couple of masks and spare filters in my range bag.

I'm getting my levels tested in a few weeks.

Well, I got my results today: 12 mcg/dL. I shoot once a week in a winter bullseye league and probably do 2 indoor IDPA stages a month. Some of the range ventilation systems are definitely better than others. I'm going to try and get used to wearing a respirator for next year's bullseye season.

Well, I got my results today: 12 mcg/dL. I shoot once a week in a winter bullseye league and probably do 2 indoor IDPA stages a month. Some of the range ventilation systems are definitely better than others. I'm going to try and get used to wearing a respirator for next year's bullseye season.

I'd consider that to be fairly good news, Mike. Sure, you'd like to see it lower, but for someone who shoots indoors it's really not all that bad and certainly controllable with a respirator. I think in general the Nashoba Valley League ranges are better ventilated than the Worcester County League where I do most of my shooting. And your home range is one of the best - I always look forward to shooting there.

Yeah that's pretty good. I'd be happy with the low 20s!

I just got my latest levels back today: 13 mcg/dL. I've been trying to be good about wearing a respirator when shooting indoors. When I shot the BUAS USPSA matches I wore it religiously. When I shot bullseye this winter I wasn't as good.

The next time you have a physical and blood work remember to ask you doctor to add a lead test.

Back
Top Bottom