Lung Protection

Couldn't find a topic about this already, so I figured I'd start a new one.

My wife and I shoot indoors almost weekly. She's got asthma and after we're done shooting she always has lung trouble. Right after we get in there she can notice a twinge in her lungs and she usually has a bit of a cough afterwards for an hour or so.

Does anybody else have this issue? I can taste the sweetness from the powder in the air, but it doesn't negatively affect my lungs.

Is there something she could use other than a full face respirator (she's not willing to look that dumb) that would help?

Obviously, switching to outdoor shooting in the summer should help as well.

Couldn't find a topic about this already, so I figured I'd start a new one.

My wife and I shoot indoors almost weekly. She's got asthma and after we're done shooting she always has lung trouble. Right after we get in there she can notice a twinge in her lungs and she usually has a bit of a cough afterwards for an hour or so.

Does anybody else have this issue? I can taste the sweetness from the powder in the air, but it doesn't negatively affect my lungs.

Is there something she could use other than a full face respirator (she's not willing to look that dumb) that would help?

Obviously, switching to outdoor shooting in the summer should help as well.

Sounds like your range doesn't have adequate ventilation or you don't know how to turn it on.

I'd recommend a different indoor range. That doesn't sound good.

I used to be a member of Mass Rifle in Woburn and their indoor range is very good. I never noticed anything like you mention.

My former range had poor ventilation such that I ended up picking black crusty's out of my nose - not to mention the ever present dust on the floor. Lord knows what I was tracking home on the bottoms of my shoes and on my clothes. FWIW, don't sacrifice your health for indoor shooting. There are alternatives out there.

Hullie,
Shooting is a great sport, but not to die for.
Perhaps you and your wife would get equal enjoyment from a good quality airgun on a range built in your home for the winter months.

Jack

Do a search for P100. I shoot in an indoor pistol league and some of the ranges suck. I'm trying to get used to shooting with a 3M 6000 series half mask with P100 filters based on some of the recommendations on this site. I haven't gotten used to it yet so I don't always wear it but I probably should. I'm getting my levels tested in a few weeks.

Do a search for P100. I shoot in an indoor pistol league and some of the ranges suck. I'm trying to get used to shooting with a 3M 6000 series half mask with P100 filters based on some of the recommendations on this site. I haven't gotten used to it yet so I don't always wear it but I probably should. I'm getting my levels tested in a few weeks.

This.

Earplugs, earmuffs, glasses - they all take a bit of getting used to. A half-face respirator is no different. I can't imagine using an indoor range without wearing mine. No more funny taste in my mouth, no more black snot, no more letters from the DPH after my blood tests.

I suspect that "sweet taste" is lead; not powder. Why do you think kids eat lead paint chips?

THAT range has a serious ventilation problem.

This.

Earplugs, earmuffs, glasses - they all take a bit of getting used to. A half-face respirator is no different. I can't imagine using an indoor range without wearing mine. No more funny taste in my mouth, no more black snot, no more letters from the DPH after my blood tests.

I'm sold on the benefits, I just need to get used to it. I feel claustrophobic and a little bit like darth vader. I could probably manage easier if it was an IDPA match but when I'm concentrating on my breathing during bullseye it just feels very awkward. Maybe I'll just try wearing it around the house a little bit to get used to it.

The mask is definitely a good idea. I've had some wheezing even after shooting in what I consider to be a well ventilated range. I guess I'll buy one and give it a try.

This is why I have avoided my club's indoor range. My theory is if I have to use a respirator in ANY area, that is a good reason to stay the hell out of there. I will freeze my arse off at an outdoor range... if anything it is good practice to learn to shoot while bundled up, ya never know when that skill may come in handy.

The only thing I'll add is any indoor shooting is something I'm trying to avoid due to high lead levels. I'm convinced that most of the lead exposure shooters get is from indoor shooting. If you smell and/or taste anything you are likely getting lead and other bad contaminants into your lungs/body. If you need to shoot indoors on a regular basis get a good respirator like eisenhow mentioned. I didn't shoot indoors that much and I had very high lead levels. Be careful.

I suspect that "sweet taste" is lead; not powder. Why do you think kids eat lead paint chips?

THAT range has a serious ventilation problem.

Second this.....contact the management of the range and ask them to address the problem or find a new place to shoot. Lead poisoning is cumulative and effects several vital body functions, athsma being the minor of them.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think she happens to be extra sensitive, so I'm going to look into the face masks mentioned. It's also been very busy when we've gone, so there's alot of gunpowder/lead flying around. Is there a way to easily test lead levels to determine if additional ventilation is needed?

Thanks again.

http://store.pksafety.net/asledu.html

I just picked this, I was using a standard mask before, with the standard mask I didn't have the sweet taste or black snot after shooting. This new mask should be even better

That's the same one I have. When it's time to replace the cartridges just make sure they are P100. The P95, which also fits that mask, isn't meant for lead dust.

That's the same one I have.

And also the same on I use (with the P100 filters). I know I've posted this previously on other threads, but as we have some new folks on this thread I'll just mention that my serum (blood) lead concentration went from 30.8 mcg/dl to about 11 mcg/dl in a year (less than 10 is considered "normal" so I've got a little more to go), with the only change being that I started wearing the respirator and being a bit more careful about washing my hands following shooting or reloading. Another guy I shoot with went from over 60 (!) to the mid-20s in the same amount of time. The respirators definitely work.

And also the same on I use (with the P100 filters). I know I've posted this previously on other threads, but as we have some new folks on this thread I'll just mention that my serum (blood) lead concentration went from 30.8 mcg/dl to about 11 mcg/dl in a year (less than 10 is considered "normal" so I've got a little more to go), with the only change being that I started wearing the respirator and being a bit more careful about washing my hands following shooting or reloading. Another guy I shoot with went from over 60 (!) to the mid-20s in the same amount of time. The respirators definitely work.

How often are you guys shooting indoors that you are getting these levels?

How often are you guys shooting indoors that you are getting these levels?

About 3 to 4 nights a week, but a couple of the ranges I shoot at have really, really crappy ventilation, which I think is more of a factor than simply the time involved.

About 3 to 4 nights a week, but a couple of the ranges I shoot at have really, really crappy ventilation, which I think is more of a factor than simply the time involved.

My BLL was also very high. I only shot indoors 1 or 2 times a week but sometimes for several hours at a time. Indoor matches last about 4 hours... it adds up quick so be careful. some people react to lead exposure differently. Mine was at 56 and down to 40 in about a month- by eliminating indoor shooting almost entirely. Be aware.

I don't think a respirator would make anybody look dumb. It's not dumb at all, and if I saw someone with it I would immediately understand why they were wearing it. I think it's a great idea.

I guess I really shouldn't worry about the every month or two I shoot indoors, then :)

I've been thinking of grabbing a respirator, anyway, even without asthma concerns or shooting often enough to really worry about lead. That gunk can make life uncomfortable even without health concerns...

This thread is fascinating. I've never seen anyone at a range with a mask, but wouldn't be surprised to see it. I am amazed though, that this is the first thead I've seen on this issue here and the first time I realized so many already had elevated lead issues and were taking actions to correct that.

How many of you who have high levels also reload? Cast your own bullets?

I'm curious about the relative risk of lead and which sources it might stem from.

Dirty ranges would be one source.

How much risk do you guys think there is from lead casting? reloading?

This.

I need to agree with Dick. I have not been wearing my mask lately and now my lead levels are up again. I will go back to it. Tell your wife how she looks means nothing compared to how she feels. It is supposed to be enjoyable not a hazard to her health

If you stopped by the Lunenburg club, where range ventilation (and heat, but that's another matter) is an unknown concept, on Monday evenings when we shoot our Bullseye matches, you'd see masks at about half the positions on the line. I'm the Captain of the team and feel some responsibility to keep everyone healthy so I've tried to get all of our team to start wearing respirators, but haven't been totally successful yet.

With regard to the source(s) of the lead at indoor ranges, there's relatively little data but (as usual) no shortage of speculation. The major potential sources include (1) lead from the bullet that enters the range atmosphere as the bullet passes out of the gun - finely divided from friction and volatilized from the heat of the burning powder; (2) bullet lead that splashes when the bullet hits the backstop; and (3) lead from the priming compound, which is lead styphnate in modern ammunition. Of those three, there appears to be some consensus that the major problem is the priming compound - the primer in the .22LR ammo I use (Eley priming compound in Aguila ammunition) has a very distinctive smell, and I know I can smell it on every shot (the respirator P100 filters remove the lead, but not the odor).

With regard to reloading, the major source of exposure would be lead on the hands that later enters the body with smoking or eating. That one's easily taken care of - just wash your hands well immediately after reloading and don't eat or smoke (duh!) while reloading. I know some guys who wear thin nitrile gloves when handling lead, but transfer through the skin (the dermal absorption factor) for lead is very low and I don't think gloves are necessary.

I'm not a bullet caster, and don't know much about exposure via that activity. I've read opinions that span the full range from "don't do it indoors no matter how good your ventilation is" to "so little lead volatilizes during casting that you don't need to worry." If it were me, I'd worry plenty, maintain good ventilation, and wear my respirator.

Another potential exposure route is gun cleaning and there is some limited evidence that solvents may accelerate the absorption of lead through the skin. I've started to wear cheap disposable nitrile gloves when I clean guns, which has the added benefit of keeping the solvent away from your skin, lead or no lead. I like the smell of Hoppe's as well as anyone, but I don't need it on my hands for hours after doing a little gun cleaning.

That's about as much as I know on the subject, other than to add that lead poisoning is not some myth that the tree-huggers have cooked up. It's real, and it can hurt you. I strongly recommend that any gun hobbyist have their doctor add serum lead to their blood testing as part of their regular physicals. Then at least you know where you stand and can make an informed decision on what, if anything, to do about it.

This thread is fascinating. I've never seen anyone at a range with a mask, but wouldn't be surprised to see it. I am amazed though, that this is the first thead I've seen on this issue here and the first time I realized so many already had elevated lead issues and were taking actions to correct that.

How many of you who have high levels also reload? Cast your own bullets?

I'm curious about the relative risk of lead and which sources it might stem from.

Dirty ranges would be one source.

How much risk do you guys think there is from lead casting? reloading?

Another potential exposure route is gun cleaning and there is some limited evidence that solvents may accelerate the absorption of lead through the skin. I've started to wear cheap disposable nitrile gloves when I clean guns, which has the added benefit of keeping the solvent away from your skin, lead or no lead. I like the smell of Hoppe's as well as anyone, but I don't need it on my hands for hours after doing a little gun cleaning.

Never really occurred to me that cleaning a gun was a vector (makes perfect sense, just never crossed my mind).

Like Dick and RGS (who I agree with entirely) I too want to make sure people are aware of potential problems/risks. I didn't go to the range 4 times/week and I always wash my hands. I reload and practice what I think is good hygiene. My levels were still very high. I had headaches for at least a couple years and could never find the source. I've eliminated indoor shooting for just this last month and my headaches are all but gone now and my BLLs have dropped from 56 to 40. The thing is you can't tell how much lead exposure you are getting from shooting, reloading, etc... only by a blood test. But indoors or outdoors- if you smell smoke you can bet your ass you are getting some lead exposure.

I'm convinced that if you eliminate indoor shooting and wash regularly you will be in good shape. If you do shoot indoors, you will get lead in your bloodstream. Get a respirator that fits well to minimize your risk!

I'm convinced that if you eliminate indoor shooting and wash regularly you will be in good shape. If you do shoot indoors, you will get lead in your bloodstream. Get a respirator that fits well to minimize your risk!

Also, in your case, try to stop eating all those paint chips off the old window sill.

Back
Top Bottom