• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Luger is not even paid off and I'm thinking about the next one...

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Yup, title says it all; the wife better not see this. With my sudden surge out of 7.65mm, I now have a M1911, P38, and a WWI Luger on the way in June. I seem to be on a pistol streak lately. Shuffling the cabinet and combining the paperwork portion in one shelf, I can add another four-pistol rack like the ones I already have. So I have room for one or two more 'large calibers' and two or three 7.65s. I really don't want to add another caliber besides the 9mm Luger and 45acp.

7.65 list; no particular order

4UT Beretta
M07 Dreyse
M35 Beretta Navy
Walther PPK
Ortgies
Savage
1917 Beretta

9mm/45acp:

M1917 Colt 45acp revolver (right caliber?)
Other German/Occupied WWII 9mm...Radom?
Is Browning Hi-Power 9mm Luger?

Ideas? Something I've missed? Suggestions?

Still wanting that matching K98 Mauser...

MS

Last edited:
Luger is not even paid off and I'm thinking avout the next one...

Hi power is 9mm Luger. And I recommend it. I've wanted one for a while

Sorry for edit it's been a long day.

Last edited:
There are more than one Savage in 7.65. You can pick one to be representative. There are two that are easy to find, the 1907 and the 1917. I would also get the Frommer Stop, the Stock, the Ruby, and the FN 1900 and 1910. Etc. Etc. Etc.... :)

Luger is not even paid off and I'm thinking avout the next one...

Hi-Powers are great pistols although some say they aren't as robust as other designs. True, there are many still in service throughout the world, some decades old. I'd stick to standard (not +p) loads in any shooter, even modern commercial models.

Radoms were/are interesting pistols. There is currently one for sale at IDC on Clinton. My understanding is that there was a limited production/commemorative of pistols in the past decade or so. The pride of the Polish Cavalry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You're already over my capacity! Careful Juggling can get me four more for the moment - about two years depending on which and cost.

I think one has to be the PPK, given my collection.

I will also have to pause at some point to fully rig my Walther PP ($400) and Luger with another mag and holster ($ouch?).

MS

On a side note, I've research the unit the Luger I'm getting belonged to. I'll share the full history when I get it, but I'll relate one part now that gave me a real case of the Heebie-Jeebies. The 122nd Landwehr Regiment (older reserves; mostly second line troops from Wurttemburg) moved from forest of Cheppy on the Meuse (in Lorraine, France), to Verdun in the spring of 1917, and pistol dates in this time frame with 7173 no suffix. My grandfather's oldest brother, Karl Schoop, was killed at Verdun as a German soldier in April 1917. He was 21. This pistol was probably not that far away. In the picture below from 1911, Karl is 15 and my grandfather, Otto, is 2.

MS

Attachments

• 1911 Otto.Karl.jpg
    1911 Otto.Karl.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Hi power is 9mm Luger. And I recommend it. I've wanted one for a while

Sorry for edit it's been a long day.

You're telling me; we broke the news to our son (11.5) that there was no Easter Bunny this weekend. He had a pissy weekend, and then proceeded to yell in the morning group circle to all the little kids how his weekend sucked because his parents told him there was no Easter Bunny. This after we coached him how to handle a situation arising with the issue.

MS

On a side note, I've research the unit the Luger I'm getting belonged to. I'll share the full history when I get it, but I'll relate one part now that gave me a real case of the Heebie-Jeebies. The 122nd Landwehr Regiment (older reserves; mostly second line troops from Wurttemburg) moved from forest of Cheppy on the Meuse (in Lorraine, France), to Verdun in the spring of 1917, and pistol dates in this time frame with 7173 no suffix. My grandfather's oldest brother, Karl Schoop, was killed at Verdun as a German soldier in April 1917. He was 21. This pistol was probably not that far away. In the picture below from 1911, Karl is 15 and my grandfather is 2.

MS
Thanks for sharing the story and picture! This is my favorite part of owner historical firearms.

Does the M17 Colt revolver take straight 45acp rounds, or does it need those 'moon' clips. Might be nice to have a wheel gun in the house again.

P.S. I scored three 100 round 9mm WWBs at my local Dicks for $29.99 each. Limit three per customer. Only took five months to be in the right place at the right time!

MS

Does the M17 Colt revolver take straight 45acp rounds, or does it need those 'moon' clips.MS

The earliest 1917's had a straight-through cylinder bore, and a .45 ACP round could just slip right through. Later, they built in a step that does catch the rim of the case. So, with the later (most) guns, it is possible to shoot the .45 ACP with no moon clips. However, the clips are necessary to extract the empty cases - otherwise there's nothing for the extractor star to grab onto.

The clips are pretty easy to find on ebay and other places. The gun is fun to shoot, but in double-action mode you need a pretty long trigger finger to reach the trigger!

The earliest 1917's had a straight-through cylinder bore, and a .45 ACP round could just slip right through. Later, they built in a step that does catch the rim of the case. So, with the later (most) guns, it is possible to shoot the .45 ACP with no moon clips. However, the clips are necessary to extract the empty cases - otherwise there's nothing for the extractor star to grab onto.

The clips are pretty easy to find on ebay and other places. The gun is fun to shoot, but in double-action mode you need a pretty long trigger finger to reach the trigger!

Clips are really easy to find like USMA said. Unless you really have large hands I recommend a Tyler T Grip adapter for DA shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to find a Volkspistole. That would make your collection the awe of many.

I've heard of the V98, but what is a Volkspistole?

MS

OK, looked it up on Wikipedia. Like I'm able (A) to even find a prototype-only pistol, and (B) let alone be able to afford it![wink]

Last edited:
I've heard of the V98, but what is a Volkspistole?

MS

OK, looked it up on Wikipedia. Like I'm able (A) to even find a prototype-only pistol, and (B) let alone be able to afford it![wink]

Yeah but you already have a magazine to fit it. [rofl]

- - - Updated - - -

Walther version of the Volkspistole.

http://peashooter85.tumblr.com/post/32971686753/germanguns-the-walther-volkspistole-was-a-last

Does the M17 Colt revolver take straight 45acp rounds, or does it need those 'moon' clips. Might be nice to have a wheel gun in the house again.

P.S. I scored three 100 round 9mm WWBs at my local Dicks for $29.99 each. Limit three per customer. Only took five months to be in the right place at the right time!

MS

I used to own a 1917 Smith. It had the Brazilian crest. I used to shoot it regularly. It did not require moon clips. I always brought along a pencil to eject the spent casings.

It was a great gun. I have since sold it.

I agree with everything USMA-82 says above. I have both models of the M1917s and the S&W is much more comfortable to shoot than the Colt. The trigger reach on the Colt is funky for me.

My local dealer recently got in a byf44 P38, matching, one mag, no holster, with about 30-40% finish, nice bore. He wants $750. Maybe this could be my shooter. I wonder how much I could get off the price when I show/tell him my cyq with one mag cost me $700. Does a byf command much more of a premium over a cyq?

MS

My local dealer recently got in a byf44 P38, matching, one mag, no holster, with about 30-40% finish, nice bore. He wants $750. Maybe this could be my shooter. I wonder how much I could get off the price when I show/tell him my cyq with one mag cost me $700. Does a byf command much more of a premium over a cyq?

MS

BYF44 is one of the most common. I would pass on it. You can find shooters for much cheaper with a little patience and luck.

C96's originally came in 7.63x25 (.30 Mauser), NOT the Swiss .30 Luger (much smaller cartridge). The "Red Nine" in 9mm
Luger was adopted as an auxiliary weapon IIRC in 1916. The nick name was for the large red 9's carved into the grip panels to distinguish the 9mm Luger version from the (original) 7.63's. Oh, and China made them in .45 ACP, too.
I honestly can't give you a price range for the U.S. market. I have an original pretty much unmolested (except the reblued upper) 1918 vintage in 7.63 for sale @ $ 715 w/o or $ 975 with a repro stock, but that wouldn't help much as it's in Germany.

Back
Top Bottom