LTC Renewal in Westford

Some PDs refuse to accept the Hunter Ed card, in spite of it being spelled out in MGLs.

Yes, the MSP has a record of all BFS Certs issued, however I don't think they would give you one or even verify it to an individual or an instructor for that matter.

Scan and dedicate a folder on your computer to important docs so you can gen a copy when needed.

I was also required to show a copy of my cert at renewal. I renewed in a different town. Didn't think it was a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will try that, although I doubt Hunters Trading Post will have the records from that long ago.

They are supposed to keep them indefinitely.

- - - Updated - - -

1. I already have an LTC unrestricted issued by the same chief.
2. I'm already a member of two clubs.
3. I already applied and went to the PD last week. The licensing officer just called me today to let me know.
4. The "proof of safety class" was not a requirement when I went to the PD last week. The licensing officer never asked for it because it is a RENEWAL. But the Chief must have sand in his vag. She even told me the paperwork has been sent to the state, but the chief is requesting the certificate before he signs off on it / they give me my new license.

I have the renewal receipt with me.

This is not one of those things that they told me ahead and I decided to play stupid.

In other words, they lost it from your original application years ago.

They are supposed to keep them indefinitely.

In other words, they lost it from your original application years ago.

I know of no such rule, however NRA online has info on every student that I've trained with an NRA course since I became an NRA Instructor, so an Instructor should be able to verify and create a new duplicate BFS Cert if required.

No, PDs don't have to keep papers from many years ago. MA Sec. of State has issued guidelines to gov't agencies on records retention and this means a lot of our old records can be destroyed legally.

No, PDs don't have to keep papers from many years ago. MA Sec. of State has issued guidelines to gov't agencies on records retention and this means a lot of our old records can be destroyed legally.
True, some departments are likely to keep denial forever, particularly if someone previously held an LTC. A denial voids the protection against criminal charges afforded by an expired LTC, however, I don't think the FRB keeps a central registry of department level denials.

I know of no such rule, however NRA online has info on every student that I've trained with an NRA course since I became an NRA Instructor, so an Instructor should be able to verify and create a new duplicate BFS Cert if required.

Thank you for the correction.

Epilogue, for posterity:

I subsequently investigated the issue.

By Jan'18, Westford didn't require all applicants to re-produce
Home Firearm Safety certs upon renewal, and didn't regard it
as cute way to harrass legal gun owners,
let alone a normal part of the process.

They don't even consider failure-to-produce the cert for renewal
of an unremarkable license as valid grounds for denial.

They are sharp enough to carefully scrutinize the original grants
at renewal time to ensure that a card wasn't mistakenly issued via
invalid HFS certs. It would be a nightmare if some other jurisdiction
originally screwed up and Westford doubled-down on stupid
by rubber stamping renewal of a bad license.

There's no evidence that Broc's original cert or license was invalid.

The origins of his ordeal remain shrouded in mystery.
(I didn't want to taint either of us as malcontents by
pressing with hard questions).

I have no doubt that it happened to him,
but we don't know why.
And in any case we expect it'll have been a one-time thing for him.

So while a regrettable episode,
it's not as bad as we'd feared.

I can see a new town requesting a copy of the cert from a new-to-them renewal applicant.

I STRONGLY suggest that everyone scan in valuable documents/licenses/etc. so they have one file folder to look in to create a new copy.

I just had a friend contact me asking how his Brother could get a copy of his NRA Cert for a LTC course he took probably 8 years ago with an unknown instructor. I contacted NRA Director of Training to be told that they file all that info under the instructor's name, so without the name (the missing part here) there is no way to look it up. The Brother moved to NY and apparently needs it as proof to apply for a permit there. Last ditch effort is that I told him that the Brother should contact PD that issued his LTC in MA and ask the LO if he could look and give him the name or NRA Instructor #.

Oh...I forgot about the hunter safety class. I took that one as well and I believe I saw the card a week ago when I was organizing my papers. [smile]
The Hunter Safety Class cert is only good for an FID, not an LTC.

I'm doing a class in Littleton on 6/24. PM me and we can work something out.

I hope you get your LTC without the extra run around.
~Matt

The Hunter Safety Class cert is only good for an FID, not an LTC.

I'm doing a class in Littleton on 6/24. PM me and we can work something out.
Thanks man. It was good for my renewal. But will PM you because I might as well get a new cert just to have it for the future.

Back
Top Bottom