• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC A restricted

If I were to renew I would wait anyway. Im taking the police test soon so who knows what will happen.

Im considering taking it, but the list of eligible officers is so long, that I dont think Im going to waste the money to get a score and *maybe* get called for a job.

If I were to renew I would wait anyway. Im taking the police test soon so who knows what will happen.

If you're a cop you can carry under LEOSA anywhere in the 50 states, but keep in mind, there are plenty of chiefs around who'll give other cops restrict4ed LTC's in this state.

If you're a cop you can carry under LEOSA anywhere in the 50 states, but keep in mind, there are plenty of chiefs around who'll give other cops restrict4ed LTC's in this state.

which is pointless, since they can carry under LEOSA anyway. Im not sure if there are plenty of chiefs that do this, but maybe a few.

which is pointless, since they can carry under LEOSA anyway. Im not sure if there are plenty of chiefs that do this, but maybe a few.

The old chief in Worcester did, they do in Winchendon...there's more, but my brain's shut down for the night.

Watertown also does not care if the applicant is a current or retired LEO.

-Mike

Okay, without sounding like an idiot, can I ask a question? I've been looking around and I can't find any information to support something I was told over the weekend. I was discussing that my Class A LTC has a Hunting and Target reason for issuance on it. I stated that I hope next year when I have it renewed the new Brockton police chief holds to the same standards as the old one did and will issue me and ALP. The former chief used to insist that your first license was restricted, but, would issue ALP for renewals. Anyways, without getting into a heated debate about the chiefs and the town, this is my question. I was told over the weekend that the laws had changed and that a Class A was a Class A and they were no longer restricting them. I just read someone picked up a Class A with a restriction last month, so, I'm assuming the individual who told me this was mistaken. However, can anyone solidly confirm or deny for me if chiefs are still allowed to place "restrictions" or "reasons for issuance" on Class A LTC?
Thank you.

Hi Gail, [wave]

I can solidly tell you that there has been no change of law and that MGL as it stands now does restrict what you can do legally via that "restrictions" notation on your LTC.

There are some "recommended" phrases that EOPS "suggest" that the chiefs use, but there is an "other" that lets them "freehand" set down any restriction that they like, and it's all legal and binding.

Sorry.

Okay, without sounding like an idiot, can I ask a question? I've been looking around and I can't find any information to support something I was told over the weekend. I was discussing that my Class A LTC has a Hunting and Target reason for issuance on it. I stated that I hope next year when I have it renewed the new Brockton police chief holds to the same standards as the old one did and will issue me and ALP. The former chief used to insist that your first license was restricted, but, would issue ALP for renewals. Anyways, without getting into a heated debate about the chiefs and the town, this is my question. I was told over the weekend that the laws had changed and that a Class A was a Class A and they were no longer restricting them. I just read someone picked up a Class A with a restriction last month, so, I'm assuming the individual who told me this was mistaken. However, can anyone solidly confirm or deny for me if chiefs are still allowed to place "restrictions" or "reasons for issuance" on Class A LTC?
Thank you.

What you just said and what you were told is the way it ought to be. Unfortunately not the way it is. I just dont understand why MA wasted so much time on the MGL's designating different licenses A,B, FID, restricted FID, License to posses a machine gun etc, when all some places want to do it put so many restrictions on it, its virtually useless.

To me its a slap in the face to restrict someone without a proper reason and no i don't believe "we just don't want you to have it" is a legit reason regardless if they can do it anyway.

Personally, I will never be part of a community that tries to restrict my license and doesn't respect my right to carry especially if my record is perfectly clean.

Sorry for my rant but sometimes you just gotta say it even if its been said a million times before. [thinking]

Thanks guys! I didn't think the laws had changed, but, it didn't hurt to ask.

In all honesty, I was fine with having a restriction on my license for the first years. I had never had a gun before, had only taken the minimum required course and I was new to it all. I didn't think it was a huge deal to have it restricted in some way while I was still technically learning. I would have liked it better if they had put Personal Protection on there which was what I actually requested the license for, but, whatever. I'm fairly easy going. I will, however, try to talk to the chief myself (god willing I'll be in another town next year) and hope to have the restriction removed now that I've had my license for awhile. We'll see.

And I totally understand people who do not agree with the restriction. I don't think my husband, former military, avid hunter, should have had a restriction, but I was fine with mine. Might be twisted to some, but, whatever.

Okay first of all your 21 living in Braintree..to a cop there owning a gun is a privilege not a right..and lets be perfectly up front here your names basketball and your from Braintree..Im gonna go out on a limb here and say you play ball with some sketchy characters. Are they your friends or do they pose a threat? Just get real down and dirty with your local PD and sell it to them that your a law abiding citizen and your on the good guys side and own a gun for all the right reasons. You gotta look at the cops perspective he doesnt wanna give someone a license then get a call a few weeks later how he was showing his friends his gun and someone got shot..its his arse, see it from their angle.

Chief Alfano in Bolton will gladly meet with a town resident for any reason, and he insists on meeting with first time LTC applicants for a friendly meeting (he's very green and only issues unrestricted LTC-A's).

I met Chief Alfano at Blue Northern in Ayer last week. Nice guy.

Exactly right Len. But the best way to go about that is to do this BEFORE the restriction. So many people worry about it after the fact rather than before. Besides going the lawyer route, why not sit down and explain why you want/need ALP in the first place? People are going to come along and say well you shouldnt have to explain a need for ALP but as long as you live in Mass get used it, thats how it is in many towns.

If you articulate your reasons for ALP before the fact, and insist that is what you want, you stand a much better chance then just handing in an app that says "ALP" and getting upset when you receive hunting and target.

I had to write a letter to the chief explaining why I was requesting an ALP. I doubt he ever even saw it because the licensing officer read it, and as he was reading it, he asked if I work (even though a large part of the letter explained what I do and where I work). The first paragraph of my letter explained why i was requesting an ALP, and the licensing officer didn't care. He said "We don't give out ALP for first timers. Only target & hunting, then when you renew if you're still clean you can get ALP. That okay with you?" or something to that effect. I figured that if my letter wasn't enough, then politely asking for the ALP wasn't going to make a difference.
I live in a red town.

Sorry for the newbie questions here, but why are pro-gun right towns refered to as "green"? Also, is there a list of green towns in MA?

Sorry for the newbie questions here, but why are pro-gun right towns refered to as "green"?
Green - You run into a green light when you apply for an unrestricted LTC-A

Red - You run into a red light when you apply for an unrestricted LTC-A

Black - Your application goes into a black hole :)

Back
Top Bottom