• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC A restricted

Danb3387

NES Member
I recently applied for my LTC because I need one for my job. I applied for personal and employment. I just picked it up today and the license is only good for employment. I don't understand why I wasn't given an unrestricted. I'm only 21 and I don't even have a speeding ticket. Is there any way to appeal a restriction? I live in Braintree if it helps.

You can appeal it and try to get it changed, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You said you needed it for work so they only allow you to carry for work. Sometimes less information is better than too much.

If you try to have it redone you could be denied and you will have to pay the $100 again to go through it. MA as a whole doesn't want us carrying guns and exercising our rights. Some towns are ok with it, but not many.

No, there isn't really any way to appeal a restriction because you weren't denied a permit. Your only real option is to move to a new town that is green.

you cant appeal a restriction

Very true, but he can sit down with the chief/LO and explain his situation again and hope that they lift the restriction.

I can't even imagine any LEO that would revoke a LTC (someone above mentioned that possibility) because a LTC holder POLITELY requested a discussion about reducing/eliminating the restrictions.

Very true, but he can sit down with the chief/LO and explain his situation again and hope that they lift the restriction.

I can't even imagine any LEO that would revoke a LTC (someone above mentioned that possibility) because a LTC holder POLITELY requested a discussion about reducing/eliminating the restrictions.

Exactly right Len. But the best way to go about that is to do this BEFORE the restriction. So many people worry about it after the fact rather than before. Besides going the lawyer route, why not sit down and explain why you want/need ALP in the first place? People are going to come along and say well you shouldnt have to explain a need for ALP but as long as you live in Mass get used it, thats how it is in many towns.

If you articulate your reasons for ALP before the fact, and insist that is what you want, you stand a much better chance then just handing in an app that says "ALP" and getting upset when you receive hunting and target.

Maybe you could try and get your supervisor or boss to have you listed as 'on call' all the time or something like that so you could technically be working 24/7. Just a thought.

Exactly right Len. But the best way to go about that is to do this BEFORE the restriction. So many people worry about it after the fact rather than before. Besides going the lawyer route, why not sit down and explain why you want/need ALP in the first place? People are going to come along and say well you shouldnt have to explain a need for ALP but as long as you live in Mass get used it, thats how it is in many towns.

If you articulate your reasons for ALP before the fact, and insist that is what you want, you stand a much better chance then just handing in an app that says "ALP" and getting upset when you receive hunting and target.

I agree that it would be a good idea to hire a lawyer to help prepare your application before you apply. But as far as sitting down with the CLEO and explaining why you want an unrestricted license, I haven't heard of any chief that will schedule a meeting with the average Joe applying for a license. They don't have the time, and they probably don't care anyways. Sometimes it's not even the chief that's processing the applications. He may only sign off on the final line. My last renewal was four years ago and I had a lieutenant call my home phone to ask about a blemish on my record from when I was a teenager. I explained what it was and he said "OK, thanks for your time. Expect to pick up the license in a few weeks".

But as far as sitting down with the CLEO and explaining why you want an unrestricted license, I haven't heard of any chief that will schedule a meeting with the average Joe applying for a license.

Chief Alfano in Bolton will gladly meet with a town resident for any reason, and he insists on meeting with first time LTC applicants for a friendly meeting (he's very green and only issues unrestricted LTC-A's).

I recently applied for my LTC because I need one for my job. I applied for personal and employment. I just picked it up today and the license is only good for employment. I don't understand why I wasn't given an unrestricted. I'm only 21 and I don't even have a speeding ticket. Is there any way to appeal a restriction? I live in Braintree if it helps.

Your just a 2nd class bag of crap just like me.

Chief Alfano in Bolton will gladly meet with a town resident for any reason, and he insists on meeting with first time LTC applicants for a friendly meeting (he's very green and only issues unrestricted LTC-A's).

Ah, so there is still hope. I couldn't even get the chief of a town on the Cape to return my phone calls about what his licensing policy was.

I did everything Waltham asked. I got 3 typed letters of reference. I had 2 safety certificates (home firearms safety and basic pistol). I wrote the letter to the chief like they requested, since I wanted a LTC unrestricted.
None of it mattered. The licensing officer barely looked at my letter (obviously, since it talked about what I do for work, and yet he asked me "Do you work?"), and told me they do not issue unrestricted to first timers. "It'll be target and hunting, and when you renew if you have no issues, you can get an unrestricted. That okay with you?"
I did not see how me saying "No, it's not okay with me. I would like a LTC for all lawful purposes and I don't understand why you won't issue me that" would work for me whatsoever.
I wrote in my letter why I wanted ALP. My application said ALP. When I spoke to the licensing officer I said I wanted an unrestricted license.
None of it matters in Waltham - they will not issue ALP to first timers (I had 2 LEO tell me so before I applied. And when I was going through the process, the cop at the next desk was one that I've known for over 15 years and was my brothers best friend. I have no one better to vouch for me and I still didn't get unrestricted).

When I picked up my unrestricted LTC (from a very green town), I made a remark about being able to carry at work. The person in charge of licensing said "Oh, if you're required to carry it at work it'll have to say employment on it too, and we'll need a letter." I tried to explain it, but wound up lamely saying that I'd just take what I had and let them know if there's any issues.

To the OP, I've seen posts here made by people who's employers require an un-restricted LTC to work where they do, and will provide a letter saying so. I can't imagine why they'd require that, misplaced liability concerns perhaps? Or maybe they're secretly pro-gun and want their employees to be allowed the same rights the rest of free America enjoys.

IIRC, MVM, Inc., a security company out of Boston (http://www.mvminc.com/), requires that armed officers have an unrestricted LTC to be employed. Maybe you could look into working part time somewhere like that, or getting a similar letter from your employer?

I also just went through this same situation in Brockton. I ended up writing another letter to the chief better explaining my need for the ALP but was declined.

I am on call 24 7 as this is my own business so technically I don't need the ALP so I just left it at that.

What it comes down to is we can beg and plead all we want but in the end they have the upper hand and will grab any chance to show it.

I agree that it would be a good idea to hire a lawyer to help prepare your application before you apply. But as far as sitting down with the CLEO and explaining why you want an unrestricted license, I haven't heard of any chief that will schedule a meeting with the average Joe applying for a license. They don't have the time, and they probably don't care anyways. Sometimes it's not even the chief that's processing the applications. He may only sign off on the final line. My last renewal was four years ago and I had a lieutenant call my home phone to ask about a blemish on my record from when I was a teenager. I explained what it was and he said "OK, thanks for your time. Expect to pick up the license in a few weeks".

worked for me with the LO

I work about 10 hours a day so there really isnt much time for a part time job. I guess I can wait the 6 long years til I renew. Buy then, if I dont get it with a clean record I dont know who should. As long as I can buy firearms then I'm all set.

I work about 10 hours a day so there really isnt much time for a part time job. I guess I can wait the 6 long years til I renew. Buy then, if I dont get it with a clean record I dont know who should. As long as I can buy firearms then I'm all set.

Would you be able to ask your employer to write you a letter requiring an unrestricted LTC? I don't know anything else about your situation, but I don't think it would hurt to try.

You don't have to wait the full 6 years to renew either.

Would you be able to ask your employer to write you a letter requiring an unrestricted LTC? I don't know anything else about your situation, but I don't think it would hurt to try.

I dont think they would. As long as I have a LTC they dont care what kind it is.

You don't have to wait the full 6 years to renew either.

When can I renew?

i was issued a LTC - A -- with a hunting and target restriction.

that was in brockton tho, and i was told they usually give a B, if any.

oh well. i am moving anyhow and will re-apply. it is worth the 100 imo.

i personally wouldn't appeal in the same town, only because i would think they get a little pissy.

i would wait a while and re-apply, but that's me

good luck!

i was issued a LTC - A -- with a hunting and target restriction.

that was in brockton tho, and i was told they usually give a B, if any.

oh well. i am moving anyhow and will re-apply. it is worth the 100 imo.

i personally wouldn't appeal in the same town, only because i would think they get a little pissy.

i would wait a while and re-apply, but that's me

good luck!

is your town a green town? be careful because the early renewal might not even matter [wink]

Chief Alfano in Bolton

Wow!!! When I joined Prime Computer back in the early 80's, one of the orientation items was listening to a talk from one of the suits in corporate security about company policies, how much they cared for our safety, etc. A few years later, there were signs up inviting everyone to this suits going away party since he was becoming a Framingham cop (probably a smart move - the PD is still in business; Prime is long gone).

Just checked - it's the same Vincent Alfano.

Back
Top Bottom