• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC/A ALP in SPringfield, MA ???

I am going to apply for my LTC/A and I live in the warzone otherwise known as springfield...I have researched and know that Springfield and many other cities/towns in the state will issue the LTC/A with restrictions, but I have heard of a few 'regular' citizens here in Springfield who have been able to get the LTC/A ALP...Just curious if any of you have been succesful, or know of anyone who has and if you can offer me any advice on the matter in terms of my application here in this city. And unfortunately no, moving out of this dump isn't an option for another year or so [crying]
Thanks.

Good luck!

If you don't "know someone" it's probably going to be quite difficult, if not impossible, to be issued for ALP. The licensing officer didn't seem to entertain the thought for a second. After seeing that I had entered: "For All Lawful Purposes - Please see attached", he seemed a little confused and stated that it wasn't even an option. If my reason for requesting the LTC was for personal protection, I should state such. I accompanied my application with a detailed letter (on company letterhead) explaining my need of a firearm for protection due to occupational circumstances as well as hobby interests. I included several varied reasons to avoid "carry for work only" or the dreaded "sporting & target - no carry" restrictions.

He read my letter, asked a few questions, then scratched out the "ALP" on the application and entered "Personal Protection"... which is what my license reads.

Best of luck with your application!

Man, I'm glad I live in my town. The Sgt that processed my form only commented that mine was the tenth application he'd processed that week. Got my LTC/A with no restrictions just this past Friday. Time to find a friendly local gun shop and range! [smile]

thanks...Through my employment I have some close connections at the PD but I really don't think that'll help, maybe i'll slip the licensing officer my fraternal handshake, silly as it sounds it almost seems like thats what it takes to get what is 'rightfully' mine. I guess i'll just plead my case as best as i can and see how it goes...Its been said many times before but this whole setup is ridiculous. [angry]

What is the difference between "personal protection" and "ALP"?

I just (15 minutes ago) went through the process for LTC/A here in Springfield and was given the LTC/A for 'Personal Protection' [smile] , when I spoke with the Lt. who interviewed me he informed me that 'Personal Protection' allows for concealed carry so it appears that there is no real distinction.

They said I should have my license in hand in 5-6 weeks...can't wait!

I just (15 minutes ago) went through the process for LTC/A here in Springfield and was given the LTC/A for 'Personal Protection' [smile] , when I spoke with the Lt. who interviewed me he informed me that 'Personal Protection' allows for concealed carry so it appears that there is no real distinction.

They said I should have my license in hand in 5-6 weeks...can't wait!

Obviously a department that feels compelled to impose a restriction, however unnecessary. [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

Personal protection is one of the reasons for requesting a license for "All Lawful Purposes" ALP covers everything you would need or want a gun for, ergo, you don't need to list the buffet menu when answering the question of "Why are you requesting a license?"

"For all lawful purposes, sir (or ma'am)."

Then can someone explain to me how "Personal Protection" is a restriction over ALP? I'm very interested, because if Lowell won't renew my ALP, and usually only give out "Target and Hunting" perhaps I can shoot for (no pun) a "Personal Protection".

Bigtitan33, did you apply for ALP, but get issued PP? ...Or did you specifically apply for PP? I hear Lowell is next to impossible for ALP like Springfield. Did you do anything special along with your application? I need advice!

TIA

MDH, what were your "several varied reasons to avoid "carry for work only" or the dreaded "sporting & target - no carry" restrictions." You seem to have experience with difficult LTC areas as well. Could you give me any suggestions?

Hope I'm not hijacking your thread Bigtitan33. Congrats on your LTC by the way!

It means you can't practice, target shoot, or hunt. You may also not carry said firearm unless it is loaded and on your person in condition three. Said firearm MUST be concealed on your person loaded at all times.

Possession of any magazine is illegal unless it is in the gun or you are carrying it with your gun. You may not possess any ammunition that is not loaded in ready magazines.

[rofl] seriously I'm sure there's some chiefs who would read it that way.

Then can someone explain to me how "Personal Protection" is a restriction over ALP? I'm very interested, because if Lowell won't renew my ALP, and usually only give out "Target and Hunting" perhaps I can shoot for (no pun) a "Personal Protection".

Bigtitan33, did you apply for ALP, but get issued PP? ...Or did you specifically apply for PP? I hear Lowell is next to impossible for ALP like Springfield. Did you do anything special along with your application? I need advice!

TIA

It's all a little annoying and confusing...
If I had gone into my PD and applied for a LTC/A and stated "all lawful purposes" as my reason they would have told me that they do not issue the LTC/A for the reason of "all lawful purposes". So when I went I stated the reason for issuing the license as 'personal protection' and was issued the LTC/A with no restrictions for that purpose. I needed to justify to the licensing officer why I needed personal protection. In my case my employment and home owner status helped justify why I needed the license for personal protection...

no worries, thanks and good luck man!

Last edited:
MDH, what were your "several varied reasons to avoid "carry for work only" or the dreaded "sporting & target - no carry" restrictions." You seem to have experience with difficult LTC areas as well. Could you give me any suggestions?

Well... my main reason was for professional duty. I own a business and have several firearms manufacturers as clients. As such, there are times that I will be in posession of highly valuable merchandise (that should NOT get into the wrong hands). I emphasized that my primary concern was for the safety of myself, and those around me. Secondary concern was that the merchandise, if liberated, would be a threat to public safety.

I also explained my desire to receive professional training to maintain / increase proficiency with utmost respect to SAFETY. "One is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." (LtCOL. Jeff Cooper U.S.M.C.)

I also think it's important to delineate your necessity for a carry permit without sounding overly paranoid. For example "I need to carry because I deal with large sums of money in bad neighborhoods". First of all, they're going to wonder why you're dealing in cash, in bad neighborhoods. Second, they're gonna picture you walking down the street nervously clenching a bag of money in one hand, pistol in the other, just waiting for something to happen. I just don't see that helping your case in one of these cities.

Basically, spell out a bunch of "Lawful Purposes" and make them tell you why those reasons aren't valid if they want to give anything other than ALP or PP.

Good luck.

I didn't get to talk to the chief, but I talked to the person in charge of LTC applications today. I'l add an update to my original post ("My first post...").

Thanx for the advice guys.

Back
Top Bottom