Lt. Moran, Firearms officer of the Arlington PD (green town) is retiring

So I drop off my FID packet at the Arlington PD last week, and give Lt. Moran a call today to set up my interview. First time through I get an answering machine saying something to the effect of "Lt. Moran is retiring and is no longer conducting Firearms interviews. Please call Sgt. Somethingorother at <number> to schedule your interview".

How does this bode for Arlington remaining a green town? Does this hurt my chances of getting an ALP? Could they neuter my LTC A, or even give me an LTC B or less? [crying]

I took down the <number> wrong, called back, and got Lt. Moran directly. We chatted a bit and he told me to come in Monday at 8am for my interview, although he didn't specify who I'd be interviewing with. So, congrats to Lt. Moran on his pending retirement, but a great big [crying] for me as it looks like I get to be one of the first 'test cases' to see if Arlington is gonna remain a green town under the new firearms officer!

--Lee

Shouldn't change anything. The chief is the one that gets to determine the
poiicy, unless they completely delegate it to the LO, but that's doubtful.

-Mike

I don't know of any PD that lets Sgts/Lts set "policy". It is handed down from the chief . . . and in many cases it is handed down to the chief from his superiors (selectmen, town manager, mayor, etc.).

I don't know of any PD that lets Sgts/Lts set "policy". It is handed down from the chief . . . and in many cases it is handed down to the chief from his superiors (selectmen, town manager, mayor, etc.).

Unless you have a strong chief policy.

Very few really strong chiefs any more. Had that discussion recently with a member of NES and his Lt . . . we all seemed to agree that even strong chiefs (the few that exist) have to watch their backs.

LenS is right, the days of the Strong Chief (as they use to be) are gone. I dont imagine there are many remaining strong chiefs who are able to operate as they want with out the City/Town having input.

I grew up in Arlington and got my first FID and LTC there. I will tell you that Arlington has not always been Green.

Personally I believe that the position of Chief of Police should be an ELECTED position, instead of an APPOINTED position, such as the case in New Hampshire. If the citizens don't like the CLEO's policies, they can vote him out at the next election. The way it is now here in Mass, a CLEO can stay until retirement, unless he screws up really bad and the Mayor or city council fires him.

I don't know of any PD that lets Sgts/Lts set "policy".
Winchendon effectively does. After we got a new chief a few years ago the new chief was asked about changing the previous policy of only granting restricted LTCs by a member of this board. His response was "I leave that up to Sgt G______." The Sgt was a carryover and the policy has continued the same. He may or may not have set it originally, but he clearly is in charge of the policy now and continues to carry it on.

AWESOME! I got to speak with Lt. Moran this morning, and he was a VERY chill dude. He couldn't find my original paperwork packet with all the information, but we were able to pull it up on the computer. We went over the usual questions, and he was like "Congrats, you'll receive your LTC A, ALP in six to eight weeks!" [smile] He did mention that he was getting out of the firearms processing, and that he didn't know how things would be "going forward". He said that he would make a very strong recommendation to the 'new guy' coming in that things remain the same, but that things could very well change. Looks like I decided to renew JUST in the nick of time!

Back
Top Bottom