• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Loose extractor rod?

The extractor rod in my S&W model 60 keeps un-screwing itself during normal carry, is there a way to stop this or is this a problem that needs to be looked at by professionals?

It does not come completely off but loose enough to spin freely without the cylinder, this does not make for a confident carry piece. Right now I check it every morning.

to tighten. insert empty cases in the cylinder. you can wrap the rod in rubber and use a set of pliers to snug the rod- don't kill it. some blue loctite or fingernail polish on the threads maye be helpful. Greg

In more than 25 years of working on S&W revolvers, I have NEVER had to use Loctite on an extractor rod. Proper tightening as explained by Greg is all that is necessary.

Regards,

If it keeps coming loose does that just mean keep screwing tighter until it does not come loose anymore?

If it keeps coming loose does that just mean keep screwing tighter until it does not come loose anymore?

I use a vise. I pad the rod, clamp it in the vice, put three empty brass cases in non adjacent chambers, and snug it up. It is a feel thing but you should be able to feel it as tight. As suggested by Greg, don't go overboard with cranking it, but it needs to be tight.

Clear as mud right??

Gregg:

Why insert empty cases into the cylinder? What does that do?

Not Greg, but it keeps you from stripping the extractor off of the rod.

On the older S&W revolvers all that kept the star from turning was two small pins. Now there is a flat spot on the extractor shank but the empties are still good insurance.

The empty case keep you from springing the ejector rod in the keyway. I do use a paded vice in the shop, but that may not be available to you.

to tighten. insert empty cases in the cylinder. you can wrap the rod in rubber and use a set of pliers to snug the rod- don't kill it. some blue loctite or fingernail polish on the threads maye be helpful. Greg

I prefer to clamp the wrapped rod in a vise, and then slowly tighten the cylinder (containing the spent cases to prevent excessive torque from being conveyed to the extractor star) by hand. Extractor rods are easily bent, and the threads are easily stripped. Gorilla strength is not called for.

Note that, after about 1957, the threads on S&W extractor rods was changed from right hand threads to left hand threads. The purpose of this was to render the natural force of the cylinder's revolving to tend to tighten, rather than to tend to loosen, the extractor rod. A rod that loosens while the cylinder is closed can keep the revolver from firing.

Edit: Ooops. I posted this response immediately after reading that to which I was responding, rather than reading the whole thread. Sorry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom