Looking into an M1 Garand

Just to double check you guys have had these shipped to you direct in ma? Ammo and rifle from cmp?
After you receive your garand do you fill out an fa10?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

When did you mail yours? I think i mailed mine on sept 22nd or 23rd. I see they sold out on 28th. I show nothing on e-store however last time i bought one i dont think it showed either.

My order made it to them, and shows up on the estore. But i still haven't been charged and its been over a week. I sent an email to see what is going on but I'm pretty sure thats what happened.

People are reporting a 6 month wait... Do not call CMP. The fun is refreshing your e-store account 100 times a day until the order is updated :)

When did you mail yours? I think i mailed mine on sept 22nd or 23rd. I see they sold out on 28th. I show nothing on e-store however last time i bought one i dont think it showed either.

I mailed mine on sept 17th

People are reporting a 6 month wait... Do not call CMP. The fun is refreshing your e-store account 100 times a day until the order is updated :)

d8e749b237dbb64ab1ecf5d29f9f9fdb.png

they might want to update this then

Last edited:
Literally was looking into this last night myself. Been wanting one forever and this thread did absolutely nothing to change my mind.[smile]

I can be patient to receive the rifle. I just would like to know if my order is being processed and know if money is going to be coming out of my account

CMP Forums; M1 Garand -> "New Order Timeline" sticky post will give you a sense of where your order is.........

If you're waiting for a rifle to come back in stock some time in the future, don't count on your status with the CMP to be valid forever. It expires and you have to resend them your documentation. I went to order ammo a while back and I forget what they wanted me to send in. Periodically check your status if you have not ordered something from them in a while or you could miss out on an offering. Reading the forums there, some things they offer go very quickly and a lapsed status means you'll miss out on the sale.

They also do have a north and south store. Check the forums - people do reports about what's in stock. I think the north store is in Ohio if you want to do a road trip.

If you're waiting for a rifle to come back in stock some time in the future, don't count on your status with the CMP to be valid forever. It expires and you have to resend them your documentation. I went to order ammo a while back and I forget what they wanted me to send in. Periodically check your status if you have not ordered something from them in a while or you could miss out on an offering. Reading the forums there, some things they offer go very quickly and a lapsed status means you'll miss out on the sale.

They also do have a north and south store. Check the forums - people do reports about what's in stock. I think the north store is in Ohio if you want to do a road trip.

You have to update all your information every three years. You must have let your club membership run out. Even so they will contact you and you will still be in line for a rifle. Not a big deal

Dont waste your time at the North Store, I am very surprised they havent shut it down yet. Havent had any significant inventory there for severla years

This is the said HXP ammo, correct?
https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/4C3006X000-200P

Considered good deal? (I don't shoot 30-06, but seems decent compared to online prices)

That's the stuff, and it is a good deal. Looks like they are out of the spam cans with ammo loaded into enbloc clips in bandoliers, which was also a good deal.

The only stuff I have found cheaper than this is corrosive, or suspected corrosive, Korean stuff. There was also some Pakistani stuff out there on enblocs that was comparable in price, but I haven't ordered any of that in a while either.

1st time customer. Order mailed in on 9/24 - signed for the afternoon of 9/26. Called and spoke to Vikki in customer service yesterday 10/26. I was told that they are now processing orders received on 9/22. I expect sometime within the next two weeks to receive an e-mail assigning me a customer # and telling me the Springfield was sold out on 9/28, put on backorder and the balance of the order is being processed.

Last edited:
Here is what you do.

Print out the paper work fill out all the information. get all your required documents dont forget the Notary.
now send in the paper work and order something. Ammo, slings, what have you.
WHEN the M1 garands open for orders again your paper work will be all set on CMP system.

Now while your waiting for the CMP sales on M1 to open PRINT another order form and have it ready to go when sales open up again.

I ordered one from the CMP several weeks ago. It was in stock when i mailed the order, but apparently they ran out before mine got processed. Pretty irritated.

If your order was in house before the no more orders accepted date on the web site you should be GTG.

Here is what you do.

Print out the paper work fill out all the information. get all your required documents dont forget the Notary.
now send in the paper work and order something. Ammo, slings, what have you.
WHEN the M1 garands open for orders again your paper work will be all set on CMP system.

Now while your waiting for the CMP sales on M1 to open PRINT another order form and have it ready to go when sales open up again.

I've thought about doing this, didn't know if HXP qualified as being "in their system" and not needing the subsequent paperwork. Does the HXP require a sig at delivery?

If you send in all your required information they will create account.
Few tips
Use a shipping address that is convenient for you. You can use any shipping address but it must match the address on your original paper work that is Notarized.
Pretty sure CMP sends just about everything signature required.
If your going to pay 1500$ for a 700$ rifle you might as well do 2 things.
1. If you intend to shoot it buy a cmp special
2. Do your home work and at least buy something with collectability. A CMP parts gun will take a long time to over come 1500$ price tag IMHO.

Buy as much ammo CMP will sell you. I reload but still pick up a few cans here and there. Most of my garands are decent shooters but show little gain with reloads.

As for accuracy of the M1 .... after over haul the test requirements
Is after 3 warm up shots 5 consecutive shots must be in a group of no more than 1.77" @ a distance of 1000 INCHES.
See even way back then they knew the M1 liked to toss the first round or 2 off in some other direction.

I will be shooting my first CMP service grade M1 at the next CMP Clinic/match Nov 6th using some loose HXP. Should be interesting.
I have not shot another M1 since I assembled my M1 I use for matches.

Last edited:
i got my DBU on the 18th and it posted to the e-store on the 20th...i posted my update in majspuds thread from a while back, but this seems to be the newest M1 thread. here's the email I received:

We have received and verified your recent order. There is nothing that we will be able to tell you about the order until we have input all orders received ahead of yours into the system. Your order will now advance to our sales area and from there to our shipping area. You will receive other emails as the order progresses. It will go on back order at this time and could be up to 6 months before it ships.

Your customer # is 300XXX. The order will not show as pending on the estore until the Sales Department processes and assigns an order number to it. If you have any problems logging onto the estore, please let us know.

Thank you for your order and your support of our program.

Sharron R Mellon
CMP Customer Service
256-835-8455
ext 318

HAVE A BLESSED DAY!

SO...they ARE still working on orders received before the cutoff it seems. I would assume within the next week or two everyone that's going to be getting a rifle from this batch will have received a DBU or have an order posted in the eStore.

I'll tell you what, next time they offer these up for sale, I'm not effing around and I'm sending an overnight letter...I missed out on the opportunity for a carbine last spring and I almost missed out on this go around by sending snail mail. never again.

NOW, if I could just make it to that damn match on Nov. 6th I'll feel a whole lot better about owning 3 garands (when the next one arrives). But you know what they say...nothing exceeds like excess :D

i got my DBU on the 18th and it posted to the e-store on the 20th...i posted my update in majspuds thread from a while back, but this seems to be the newest M1 thread. here's the email I received:

We have received and verified your recent order. There is nothing that we will be able to tell you about the order until we have input all orders received ahead of yours into the system. Your order will now advance to our sales area and from there to our shipping area. You will receive other emails as the order progresses. It will go on back order at this time and could be up to 6 months before it ships.

Your customer # is 300XXX. The order will not show as pending on the estore until the Sales Department processes and assigns an order number to it. If you have any problems logging onto the estore, please let us know.

Thank you for your order and your support of our program.

Sharron R Mellon
CMP Customer Service
256-835-8455
ext 318

HAVE A BLESSED DAY!

SO...they ARE still working on orders received before the cutoff it seems. I would assume within the next week or two everyone that's going to be getting a rifle from this batch will have received a DBU or have an order posted in the eStore.

I'll tell you what, next time they offer these up for sale, I'm not effing around and I'm sending an overnight letter...I missed out on the opportunity for a carbine last spring and I almost missed out on this go around by sending snail mail. never again.

NOW, if I could just make it to that damn match on Nov. 6th I'll feel a whole lot better about owning 3 garands (when the next one arrives). But you know what they say...nothing exceeds like excess :D

just get there..... go out for a pack of smkes or a gallon of milk around 7am and come back when your done shooting the match[smile]

Dont forget there are other cmp shoots around. Hanson rod and gun 1st sat 8am and 3rd sunday 12pm
thy have guns and ammo also

Last edited:
just get there..... go out for a pack of smkes or a gallon of milk around 7am and come back when your done shooting the match[smile]

i already told the girlfriend about the match and pumpkin carving/apple picking/leaf peeping 'new england shit' season will be officially over...so she knows that's going to be MY day. she just told me she need to start doing more work at home on her days off anyway, so problem solved. I wonder if I can manage to work up some loads with those 155 nosler blemishes that I got last week before the match?!?!

now to decide which M1 to bring :D

also...do you have the rules/regs handy for the modern military match? might be into that one as well. thanks in advance!

i already told the girlfriend about the match and pumpkin carving/apple picking/leaf peeping 'new england shit' season will be officially over...so she knows that's going to be MY day. she just told me she need to start doing more work at home on her days off anyway, so problem solved. I wonder if I can manage to work up some loads with those 155 nosler blemishes that I got last week before the match?!?!

also...do you have the rules/regs handy for the modern military match? might be into that one as well. thanks in advance!

now its time to introduce her to pumpkin/apple plinking....

Don't worry too much about the load as you're shooting a Garand in position.

47.0 grains of 4895, 4064 or Varget under a 155 will put them in the 10 ring if you do your part.

To each their own I guess. I traded mine for a marlin 336 and never looked back.
If you get past the teary eyed stories of WWII, its a clunky short stocked rifle with an odd ammo capacity.
Good luck, I hope you better luck than I had.

To each their own I guess. I traded mine for a marlin 336 and never looked back.
If you get past the teary eyed stories of WWII, its a clunky short stocked rifle with an odd ammo capacity.
Good luck, I hope you better luck than I had.

I could use a bit more cut off that stock... Still a great gun for what it is. As much as l like a good lever gun ....I will take a M1
2 more rounds than most 336 rifles and much easier to reload.

All good.

Don't worry too much about the load as you're shooting a Garand in position.

47.0 grains of 4895, 4064 or Varget under a 155 will put them in the 10 ring if you do your part.

Heck even 44 grains will be Good.....

Back
Top Bottom