• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking into an M1 Garand

I've been thinking about trying to get my hands on an M1 Garand for a while. I think many people will agree going with the CMP is the way to go to acquire one.

Their website does not have Ma on their list of shipping destinations that need to go through an FFL, however I'm pretty sure I still will have to do this. They are currently not accepting orders and I assume it will be a while before they do. Would it be worth it to apply for my C&R ffl so that I can just have it shipped directly to me? Wo

You can have it shipped directly to you. You do not need a C&R FFL. Get your paperwork together, and get ready to buy one as soon as they come available again. If the specials are available, maybe just get one of them. They will not be around much longer through the CMP.

You can have it shipped directly to you. You do not need a C&R FFL. Get your paperwork together, and get ready to buy one as soon as they come available again. If the specials are available, maybe just get one of them. They will not be around much longer through the CMP.

This. All you have to do is fill out the forms, make the copies of your LTC and club membership card, and mail it in. Garand gets shipped to you in a nice hard case, right to your door. Requires an adult over 21 to be home to sign for it.

every shooter should have a C&R FFL03...I have literally saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars and a LOT of BS by having it.

THEN wait for the service grades to come back in stock, or start with a coveted Winchester by ordering a 'special'...then you'll be all set for a 'shooter' for matches and the likes.

I highly recommend getting one. I will also advise that if you're dead set on getting one, buy the loose HXP ammo now from the CMP estore while you wait (and while it's still available for a decent price)....

There is no downside to getting a Garand from the CMP. Chances are you will love it, and if you don't you will have no problem selling it.

I think I need a Garand. Dont know why I havent looked into this until now.

What grade to go with? Service grade maybe? What has been typical pricing on service grade rifles?

Thanks for the quick responses. Looks like I'll start getting my paper work together.

What are the savings you get from having the c&r?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I think I need a Garand. Dont know why I havent looked into this until now.

What grade to go with? Service grade maybe? What has been typical pricing on service grade rifles?

I believe the service grades were $730 shipped. I recommend going with the service grades. And if funds allow, buy as much HXP ammo as you can (assuming you don't reload)...

you don't need a C&R and you don't save anything on a CMP purchase by having one. But it allows you to buy C&R items from other vendors and/or private individuals and have them shipped directly to you

What are the savings you get from having the c&r?

There's no savings when you buy from the CMP by having a C&R. But you can can discounts/dealer pricing from Brownells (only one I know of). Then of course you can have C&R guns shipped directly to your house without paying a transfer fee at a dealer.

Edit: jpm beat me to it.

Is there anyway to know when the next batch of rifles will be released for sale?

I joined the CMP mailing list. So, I assume I'll get some notification there.

Is there anyway to know when the next batch of rifles will be released for sale?

I joined the CMP mailing list. So, I assume I'll get some notification there.

Don't know. They go in and out of stock somewhat frequently to catch up on shipping orders...

don't wait for them to announce, just send in an order and let it sit in the queue till they're ready and you'll be even more likely to get one.

Curious as to why the garand is allowed to be shipped directly and to a non ffl. Is it due to the age/c&r status?

Curious as to why the garand is allowed to be shipped directly and to a non ffl. Is it due to the age/c&r status QUOTE]

I could be wrong but when you are purchasing from the cmp you are essentially buying it from the Feds.

In the milsurp section, someone said it was by act of Congress specially allowing the CMP to do this.

I, too, first thought you needed a C&R to get it shipped directly.

don't wait for them to announce, just send in an order and let it sit in the queue till they're ready and you'll be even more likely to get one.

they will return/trash a order for a M1 other than a special. If you mail it in before the open up orders again

they will return/trash a order for a M1 other than a special. If you mail it in before the open up orders again

That's what I thought. Otherwise there's no point in putting "sold out" because everyone (myself included) would just keep mailing them in and they'd never catch up.

Here is what you do.

Print out the paper work fill out all the information. get all your required documents dont forget the Notary.
now send in the paper work and order something. Ammo, slings, what have you.
WHEN the M1 garands open for orders again your paper work will be all set on CMP system.

Now while your waiting for the CMP sales on M1 to open PRINT another order form and have it ready to go when sales open up again.

Curious as to why the garand is allowed to be shipped directly and to a non ffl. Is it due to the age/c&r status?

its literally a unique status they are granted by congress to be able to ship direct to the customer

Here is what you do.

Print out the paper work fill out all the information. get all your required documents dont forget the Notary.
WHEN the M1 garands open for orders again your paper work will be all set on CMP system.

Now while your waiting for the CMP sales on M1 to open PRINT another order form and have it ready to go when sales open up again.

^This. Buy some HXP ammo while you wait...

Here is what you do.

I've thought about doing this, didn't know if HXP qualified as being "in their system" and not needing the subsequent paperwork. Does the HXP require a sig at delivery?

They are available on Gunbroker. Expect to pay $1500 for a decent one. Will do nothing but appreciate. You only go this way once. I bought a decent Springfield a few years back. Shot OK, but not great. Had a new CMP barrel installed and installed a match rear sight myself. I can stay in the black at 100 yards and I'm a 62 year old blind guy. It's a blast and it's a piece of history. Grab one while you still can.

I ordered one from the CMP several weeks ago. It was in stock when i mailed the order, but apparently they ran out before mine got processed. Pretty irritated.

I made an order over a month ago and have heard received no order confirmation and can't get through to anyone one the phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Did they notify you that your order was not being processed?

I've thought about doing this, didn't know if HXP qualified as being "in their system" and not needing the subsequent paperwork. Does the HXP require a sig at delivery?

yeah it comes fedex home delivery, signature required

I made an order over a month ago and have heard received no order confirmation and can't get through to anyone one the phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Did they notify you that your order was not being processed?

My order made it to them, and shows up on the estore. But i still haven't been charged and its been over a week. I sent an email to see what is going on but I'm pretty sure thats what happened.

Back
Top Bottom