• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

looking forward to Blue Hills deer hunt?

The deer know where to hide, and its in people's backyards where you can't hunt them.

The deer headed up the hill once the shots started. I heard around 15 is before 0800, and then it was super quiet. A couple real smart hunters and apparent great shots shot at a few skylined deer, spining one and missing a couple. The last guy that tagged out had 3 big does that came from the top.

I have to tell you...I am not a hunter. I hunted with my BIL years ago down the cape and got nothing. It was a great time walking in the woods with guns and such but would have been great to get a dear.

I think this is fantastic that people can hunt here locally. Most people travel great distances to hunt. I worked for a guy years ago and he would only hunt in Maine.

I like what the deputiy commisioner said....

Matthew Sisk, deputy commissioner at the Department of Conservation and Recreation, told the newspaper, “This is not a trophy hunt, and these folks are not going in there for sport. They’re going in to do a job.”

Hopefully that shuts the anti's up...lol

and this might not be a one time event...

"“They hope to kill at least 450 deer this first year,” the coalition said on its Facebook page.

I would like to see this as an annual thing...

....A couple real smart hunters and apparent great shots shot at a few skylined deer, spining one and missing a couple. The last guy that tagged out had 3 big does that came from the top.

Meanwhile, stray bullets rained down on Canton for hours.

I have to tell you...I am not a hunter. I hunted with my BIL years ago down the cape and got nothing. It was a great time walking in the woods with guns and such but would have been great to get a dear.

I think this is fantastic that people can hunt here locally. Most people travel great distances to hunt. I worked for a guy years ago and he would only hunt in Maine.

I like what the deputiy commisioner said....

Matthew Sisk, deputy commissioner at the Department of Conservation and Recreation, told the newspaper, “This is not a trophy hunt, and these folks are not going in there for sport. They’re going in to do a job.”

Hopefully that shuts the anti's up...lol

and this might not be a one time event...

"“They hope to kill at least 450 deer this first year,” the coalition said on its Facebook page.

I would like to see this as an annual thing...

For the record, Matt Sisk's Father was a long-time officer at BR&P and AFAIK Matt is still a member of BR&P. So at least we have one of us (perhaps . . . I know Matt from the club but have never asked him his views on 2A) in a position of authority in an area that can help gun owners as well as correct some of the off-balance eco problems out there.

For the record, Matt Sisk's Father was a long-time officer at BR&P and AFAIK Matt is still a member of BR&P. So at least we have one of us (perhaps . . . I know Matt from the club but have never asked him his views on 2A) in a position of authority in an area that can help gun owners as well as correct some of the off-balance eco problems out there.

and with it being local more people hear about it good or bad...although they say there is no such thing as bad advertising...but perhaps it intrigues some younger people into looking into learning about the sport...whether is be the shooting sports or hunting. Either way it could generate some more gun owners. Not a bad thing.

“Contrary to popular belief, culling is not a viable solution for reducing deer numbers,” they said on their website. “The deer reproductive strategy is prolific and quickly compensates for population declines.”
Ok, sure - if they intend to cull the herd once and then not let anyone hunt again for another 100 years, then yeah its not much of a long term solution.

Put in 2 solid days, both unsuccessful. At check out today they only had 13. Matt Sisk didn't look to happy about the numbers. Wish I could of contributed.

Put in 2 solid days, both unsuccessful. At check out today they only had 13. Matt Sisk didn't look to happy about the numbers. Wish I could of contributed.

Well they have only themselves to blame if they aren't happy with the numbers. They should have let people hunt in the evenings and their numbers would be better. Maybe open some more days too. The hunts were too restrictive. Can't hunt when deer are active in the evenings. Too few days. Couldn't hang your stands far enough in advance to let your scent dissipate and the woods to resettle, etc. If they were really serious about it they would have announced this at the end of last season and let people scout and hang stands anytime from then until the actual hunt. They would have allowed evening hunting, would have had more open days, etc. Lot they could have done better.

...and they could have opened it to bow hunting during the rut. Hopefully the numbers are better next week. But probably won;t be by much. The timing still doesn't line up with the 2nd swing of the rut. About a week too early.

Last edited:
Well they have only themselves to blame if they aren't happy with the numbers. They should have let people hunt in the evenings and their numbers would be better. Maybe open some more days too. The hunts were too restrictive. Can't hunt when deer are active in the evenings. Too few days. Couldn't hang your stands far enough in advance to let your scent dissipate and the woods to resettle, etc. If they were really serious about it they would have announced this at the end of last season and let people scout and hang stands anytime from then until the actual hunt. They would have allowed evening hunting, would have had more open days, etc. Lot they could have done better.
I completely agree 100%, very poorly planned!

Ok, sure - if they intend to cull the herd once and then not let anyone hunt again for another 100 years, then yeah its not much of a long term solution.

The management plan is a multi year effort to first knock the herd down (that's not going well) and then to maintain it.

I know I wouldn't hang a stand and leave it unattended until climbing into it on the day of the hunt. Sabotage is pretty much garranteed.

I know I wouldn't hang a stand and leave it unattended until climbing into it on the day of the hunt. Sabotage is pretty much garranteed.

Or worse, some of the park and ride regulars may soil it somehow....

2 arrests today by the EPOs, 2 retards ran into the woods with go pros and shit, got clinked for hunter interference, good stuff right there.

10 pointer taken, but only 140 lbs.

A 15 year old got his first one today too. Dont know the total from today yet but Ill post it when I get it

Was just told "about 15" total today for a total of 41 ish for the group A hunters.
89 showed yesterday, 64 today

Last edited:
I agree on not leaving stands for any significant length of time, anti's will do crazy things. I had a stand in Andover messed with, minor but it was messed with. Also my camera is covered over every time I go check it and a guy was roaming around with a bull horn the first 2 days of the season. And this is a well established program with support of the community for the most part. The Blue Hills hunt is a shit down and you can be guaranteed they are trying to find ways to mess up the hunt.

I heard 13 today, maybe it has risen. Piss poor numbers. I wonder if the antis had a clue and have been in there in the weeks leading up chasing the deer around and messing the place up. Hell they didn't even close the hiking trails during the hunt, that is a mistake in my opinion. Sounds like this one was not run very well from a lot of perspectives. They will be lucky to see 100 taken for the 4 days and the weather was pretty good, fairly cold.

The hunts were too restrictive. Can't hunt when deer are active in the evenings.
They would have allowed evening hunting, would have had more open days, etc. Lot they could have done better.
I thought I read in one of the articles that everyone had to be out by 5:00. Doesn't that allow for evening hunting? Sunset was about 4:15 past two days.

The management plan is a multi year effort to first knock the herd down (that's not going well) and then to maintain it.
What exactly does the "maintenance" part of the plan entail, if not hunting?

I thought I read in one of the articles that everyone had to be out by 5:00. Doesn't that allow for evening hunting? Sunset was about 4:15 past two days.

Nope, check out time is NLT 1600.

The maintenance as I understand it, is to basicall decide each year to hunt or not to hunt. We are being told that next year hunting the other side of the highwayis going to be allowed, because thats actually where all the deer are lol.

Last edited:

I read the report when I first heard about the hunt and now I forget the details but it's posted in the F&G website to read. As I recall gun hunting first three years then a possibility of bow in the future. I skimmed through it pretty quick though so I may be off.

I agree on not leaving stands for any significant length of time, anti's will do crazy things. I had a stand in Andover messed with, minor but it was messed with. Also my camera is covered over every time I go check it and a guy was roaming around with a bull horn the first 2 days of the season. And this is a well established program with support of the community for the most part. The Blue Hills hunt is a shit down and you can be guaranteed they are trying to find ways to mess up the hunt.

I heard 13 today, maybe it has risen. Piss poor numbers. I wonder if the antis had a clue and have been in there in the weeks leading up chasing the deer around and messing the place up. Hell they didn't even close the hiking trails during the hunt, that is a mistake in my opinion. Sounds like this one was not run very well from a lot of perspectives. They will be lucky to see 100 taken for the 4 days and the weather was pretty good, fairly cold.

There's an easy solution here. You hang your stands using climbing sticks. Once your stand is hung and you're on your way out take the sticks with you. Now strangers can't get at your stand. I think it would be pretty far from a trail and I can't imagine anti's would be that deep in the woods. But if you like to set up close to the trail then maybe its more of a concern.

Anyone hear how many were killed today?

Heres the rundown I got

69 hunters total

10 deer

A multitude of hilarious and drunken protestors

Right around 1600 a guy rolled in with a 6 or 8 pointer, id be shocked if it weighed more than 100lbs, it looked awful. One of the EPOs told me the heaviest one brought in today was a doe at 102lbs.

Tomorrow will be interesting

Heres the rundown I got

69 hunters total

10 deer

A multitude of hilarious and drunken protestors

Right around 1600 a guy rolled in with a 6 or 8 pointer, id be shocked if it weighed more than 100lbs, it looked awful. One of the EPOs told me the heaviest one brought in today was a doe at 102lbs.

Tomorrow will be interesting
Wow. I was hoping for better #'s. Not looking good

Back
Top Bottom