looking for some tools

I'm thinking about tackling the DIY trigger job on my MP9C. It looks very straight forward and relatively easy.

I'm looking for some specifics on the tools used.

It mentions using two different punches. Can I find those at most firearm stores?

Also, with filing and polishing the sear, it shows these pictures:

file.jpg

stone.jpg

polish.jpg

Where would you recommend I grab these pieces? It looks like the stone and polish are different sides on the same block. Have you guys seen these around anywhere in particular? Possibly a firearm store?

I'm just not trying to run all around town looking for a few tools. I was hoping for some direction.

Thanks,

Derek

You are better off at an industrial supplier than a gun store. I like Enco but you can also get stuff through Brownells.

I'd be a little cautious though. A little bit of polishing with a fine or medium stone is probably ok, but things can go bad quickly if you start changing the geometry of trigger components.

B

So do you think I'd be better off at a home depot? I was hoping to find these in a store instead of waiting for shipping and such.

you should be able to get files and stones at Home Depot or Ace hardware ( looks at stone for sharpening knives0, punches also.

I did my trigger jobs with a dremel.... it is a lot faster

Also there is more to the M&P trigger job than reshaping the sear nose

Also there is more to the M&P trigger job than reshaping the sear nose

I think I may just do the first couple of steps for now. The rest of it looks a little more complicated. If I still want more of an improvement I may go back and do the rest of it.

I think I may just do the first couple of steps for now. The rest of it looks a little more complicated. If I still want more of an improvement I may go back and do the rest of it.

If you cut the nose to short, and the sear will not drop the striker. you will have to reduce the height of the sear.

what are you trying to get out of this trigger job? If you want to drop weight, replace the trigger return spring, you can use and extra power glock trigger return spring

I have used all of the suppliers previously mentioned and find Brownells to be the best source by far.

I am in the process of writing an update for this. The M&P 45 has a different sear assembly than shown in the trigger job here.

Tools I used to do the job

1. 1/8" punch (steel with at least 1.5" shaft before taper or shoulder)
2. 1/16" punch
3. small hammer
4. bench vise (secured to a stable bench)
5. wood block (piece of 2x4)
6. Dremel tool (or similar)
7. fine cut rotary stone for dremel
8. fiber polish wheels with brown and white polish compounds
9. Jeweler's file (flat is all you need)

I actually used 600 and 2000 grit wet/dry paper to do final polishing to mirror finish. Works great. Getting some 2500 grit paper to get super-fine polish.

You can get the sand paper at an auto-parts store. Small files can be had from hobby shops.

Try these... http://wire-sculpture.com/jewelry-file/10_Piece_Diamond_Needle_Files_140mm_X_3mm-3470-96.html

and a punch set

http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/8993/nm/13_Piece_Gunsmith_Punch_Set_WT_Import_

Back
Top Bottom