Looking for some advice..

Regards,

I'm hoping some of you here can educate me a little bit about a beginner HAM radio. Basically what I want is the ability to receive shortwave communications/broadcasts in the case of emergency where local FM/AM radios are down, television, internet, etc.

I used to own an older Sony SW radio in the 80's, (similar to the picture below), and was able to receive broadcasts all over the world. I believe it could pick up frequencies from 2000khz - 30000khz. Are all these HAM radios I see on Amazon (Baofeng, Yaesu...) capable of receiving and tuning into these broadcasts?

51Y6R45FFPL._SX355_.jpg

I'm also looking into getting the basic HAM radio license ...so I can broadcast as well.

Do you guys link up and talk to each other through these? I'm hoping to join a network of like minded people.

The reason I'm doing this is for SHTF scenarios.

Thanks

edit:

Also, do any of you have recommendations on a radio, under $100 if possible, That can operate on 12v batteries?

Last edited:
Regards,

I'm hoping some of you here can educate me a little bit about a beginner HAM radio. Basically what I want is the ability to receive shortwave communications/broadcasts in the case of emergency where local FM/AM radios are down, television, internet, etc.

I used to own an older Sony SW radio in the 80's, (similar to the picture below), and was able to receive broadcasts all over the world. I believe it could pick up frequencies from 2000khz - 30000khz. Are all these HAM radios I see on Amazon (Baofeng, Yaesu...) capable of receiving and tuning into these broadcasts?

51Y6R45FFPL._SX355_.jpg

I'm also looking into getting the basic HAM radio license ...so I can broadcast as well.

Do you guys link up and talk to each other through these? I'm hoping to join a network of like minded people.

The reason I'm doing this is for SHTF scenarios.

Thanks

edit:

Also, do any of you have recommendations on a radio, under $100 if possible, That can operate on 12v batteries?

Last question first. Baofengs are a great entry level hand held for a tech license holder. They do both 2m and 440MHz. Those are the two most common local frequency ranges aka bands used by hams. UV54 or the UV-82 are both great radios. I have 2 UV-82s. The Baofengs cover 137-174MHz and 400-500MHz. This also lets you listen in on many of the police and fire frequencies....the ones that haven't gone digital at least.

There are many shortwave receiver options out there. It really comes down to how much money you want to spend and what bands you are interested in. Goo SWL (short wave listening) units will cover both the ham bands and the dedicated SWL bands and can cost upwards of $500. If you want a SWL rig that can do both, it should cover frequencies from 100KHz up through 500MHz. The low end of the frequency range is arguable by some...if you want to pick up US AM broadcasts and above, then start at 500KHz. There is a new band in the works that is below the 500KHz range..but as far as I know, the FCC hasn't adopted it but Canada has last I heard.

Anyway, get your tech license at a minimum....this will let you transmit voice on 50MHz and up and part of the 10 meter band (28.3Mhz - 28.5Mhz). It is a great hobby to get into and it does help in a grid down type scenario because one of the things you should learn is how to run everything off of battery.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi Doogz. Approach ham radio with caution. It's not a hobby. It's 99 hobbies in one and can draw you in and cost you a lot of time [smile].

Sorry, but I can't recommend a good SW receiver. I do know you probably want one were you can connect an external antenna to it. The most important thing in any radio is the antenna. A good radio's receiver may be 2 times better than a cheap one's, but a good outdoor antenna can be 100x better than the little telescoping antenna on the radio.
Stretching 50' of wire out the window to a tree will do amazing things for a short wave receiver.

So, a few helpful tidbits.

Radio Waves:
Different frequencies travel in different ways.
* VHF(30MHz and above) only travel line of sight. Those $35 Baofeng 2meter/70cm radios will only go 1-10 miles depending on terrain. You won't hear a guy 1/2 mile away if there's a tall hill between you two. But us hams have put repeaters on high places which allow you to talk over a 15-50 mile range by bouncing off a repeater.
* HF, a.k.a. short wave (3MHz - 30MHz) can do skip and travel around the world. The atmosphere changes from day to night. 7MHz and below works at night. Above 7MHz works during the day. Some days the sun just isn't doing its job and it seems like nothing works.

Ham Radio: There are 3 levels of licenses.
1) Technician: It's just a name. You don't need to know how to solder or use an oscilloscope. With this license you can only transmit on VHF frequencies, so you are stuck with short distance, line of sight communications. However, if you know Morse code, there are a few sections of the HF bands you can transmit on and skip around the world with Morse.
2) General Class: This gets you full privileges (voice, Morse, digital) on the HF bands. Now you can talk around the world (with cooperation from the ionosphere). In each part of the HF bands there are a few of the ham frequencies you can't transmit on.
3) Extra Class: This just gets you privileges in those few sections of the HF bands reserved for "Extras". This license is hardly worth the considerable trouble since it doesn't get you any new capabilities. You just get your own little clubhouse in the airwaves (and bragging rights).

Where are you located? There are several clubs that do a "get your license in one day" class. Often called Tech-in-a-Day. There's probably 20 NESers that got their licenses at the Gloucester, MA club. They do 2 classes a year. Show up at 8:00 am with $20 ($15 goes to the FCC) and leave at 5:00 with your license and a sore butt from studying all day. There are other clubs that do "real" classes that meet once a week for a few months.

Thank you both for the lengthy replies. Some great information here for me. I'll have to do some more shopping around and studying. I live in the Berkshires. Would like to do a one-day class.

Keep an eye on this forum. They get posted from time to time. The one in Gloucester is the only one I'm familiar with.
Of course, there's always google.

Pretty sure that they are doing Tech In A Day in Boxboro and also a weekly tech class in Whitman. Both of which are MAJOR drives from the Berkshires, but it is what it is. Google for local ham radio clubs in your area and contact them to see if they will offer Tech In A Day or Tech In A Weekend type classes.

Good luck.

if you want to know what ham radio Hf is like, tune into around 3.885 MHz on your radio at night. There's an active group of guys there. They move up and down frequency to avoid interference, so search around for them. They are on every night.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

if you want to know what ham radio Hf is like, tune into around 3.885 MHz on your radio at night. There's an active group of guys there. They move up and down frequency to avoid interference, so search around for them. They are on every night.

Those guys are AM right...not LSB?

Yes, they are on am. I didn't know if he had the sw7600 which decodes ssb. I highly recommend buying that radio. I enjoy listening to 17 and 20 meter sideband while camping.

Yeah...I've heard them. Some of those guys are definitely above legal limit. BIG SIGNALS.

I started out with a RL Drake 2b receiver this is what got me hooked and made me decide to get my license. This was in 2013 and the receive cost me $200.00 and was well worth it. I am not sure what you want in a receiver and the Drake is Ham Bands only. A year latter I was able to sell this receiver for $350.00 and recoup my investment. There are inexpensive general coverage receivers an example would be the Hallicrafter S120 not the greatest of receivers but can be gotten for $100.00 or less and would get you started. I don't know what you are looking for however, a ham receiver or a general coverage SW receiver there are a lot of deals on Ebay. Just pull the trigger so to speak and get something and start listening. Also a basic dipole antenna is a must even the best of receivers will not work without an antenna.

Once again, I appreciate all the replies.

I just passed my Tech exam! Had the opportunity for the General exam and they said I was close to passing, but I didn't prepare myself for that..

I own two Baofeng radios now, and will be getting a mobile rig pretty soon.

They're great radios, I can hear 2 repeaters over 45mi away. They aren't good in high RF environments, especially with a better antenna attached. Rx is almost nonexistent in this case.

Looking forward to joining the chatter.

I have this antenna for the Baofeng and it's fantastic. I leave a length of string on the end to hang from whatever's handy: branch, curtain rod. another string, and so on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELUXE-MODE...779511?hash=item2c72743577:g:Vs8AAOSwcUBYQI8F

There are a few nets on the Greylock repeater 146.91 I used to listen to, including a newcomer's roundtable. I've never called in, just listened. One of these years I need to get my radio set back up and get on the air. Too many hobbies.

I have this antenna for the Baofeng and it's fantastic. I leave a length of string on the end to hang from whatever's handy: branch, curtain rod. another string, and so on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELUXE-MODE...779511?hash=item2c72743577:g:Vs8AAOSwcUBYQI8F

There are a few nets on the Greylock repeater 146.91 I used to listen to, including a newcomer's roundtable. I've never called in, just listened. One of these years I need to get my radio set back up and get on the air. Too many hobbies.

Hi Todd,

I've listened to that repeater a few times, and caught the latest round table a few weeks ago. I think we're lucky to have that altitude at our disposal.

Sometimes I catch 147.150 repeater, N2LEN in East Windham, NY which is 45 miles away as the crow flies!
147.060 Schenectady and 145.190 Albany are within range as well.

I have a similar antenna, made by N9TAX. I think its the bulkier version of that one. It doesnt work well with both Baofengs I have, unless I'm in the woods or something.

I think I have some strong RF interference in the area of my house, which is strange because there's not a whole lot going on around here.

When connected to the slim jim, it's super picky with direction (move it an inch, no signal, move it another inch, full signal). When I'm away from any infrastructure, it works well in all regards.

I've read about the Baofeng's chip being easily overloaded with out of band signals when using stronger antennas, and I believe this is whats happening to me. Same results with the Nagoya NA-771. I've been keeping the stock antenna on while at home, and using the others if I go out somewhere.

If you get back into it, PM me. I live on the border of Pittsfield and Hancock. Maybe we can link up on simplex and see how well these radios work.

Congratulations on your license. I listen to the Monson repeater almost all the time. 147.105 PL 162.2 +. You may just get into the repeater. Give me a call N1HM

Congratulations on your license. I listen to the Monson repeater almost all the time. 147.105 PL 162.2 +. You may just get into the repeater. Give me a call N1HM

Thanks. I just put the freq in and can hear some people on there now. Reaching it may be a different story. I'll give ya a call when I get my call sign

Back
Top Bottom