Looking for M1 with shot out/NG barrel

By far your best bet is going to be a CMP Field Grade. Sure, a couple hoops to jump through with the paperwork, but it's highly unlikely you will be able to beat the $650 delivered price.

Most M1s with a bad barrel get parted out and reciever sold off for close to cost of a field grade. I looked high and low for project garands. Not finding anything for less than a cmp rifle.
Heck i bought cmp rifles just for spare parts.
My 308 build was based of a cmp service grade bought when they where $595

So whatyah do'n

Sarco had some Garand Sniper kits for sale w/new barrel. Have in the past been able to p/u M1 and 03 rifles with shot out barrels for under $500 from local GS's.

Sarco had some Garand Sniper kits for sale w/new barrel. Have in the past been able to p/u M1 and 03 rifles with shot out barrels for under $500 from local GS's.

I doubt you will find any more $500 M1's except for CMP Rack Grades- and those may or may not have a decent receiver. Even if the barrel on a CMP Field Grade is worn (and it will be), you might get $50 to $75 for it if not too bad. If decent and a make and/or drawing number that the collectors like, price could be significantly better.

I doubt you will find any more $500 M1's except for CMP Rack Grades- and those may or may not have a decent receiver. Even if the barrel on a CMP Field Grade is worn (and it will be), you might get $50 to $75 for it if not too bad. If decent and a make and/or drawing number that the collectors like, price could be significantly better.
Reminds me i have to check my take offs and see what they are and see if i can get some cash for them.

How far in the past. Every time i see a M1 in a lgs tbats beat and worn its suddenly "original collectable that gramps used in 1942" only to sport a HRA heal tag and a 60s SA barrel.

a couple of years ago I found a Winchester on the wall at a local shop that's out of business now. It was a Korean rifle that came back in commercially and was in a fugly stock and filthy. Barrel looked pretty worn too and it had been up there for $700 for a long time and they just dropped it to 500. The first time I looked it over I didn't even realize it was a Winchester so I grabbed it. Barrel shot about 5" groups at 50 yds lol. Found a good used replacement for it and got $50 + shipping for the barrel on CMP forum. Don't know what they wanted it for because I accurately described how worn it was (I want to say 5 or 7 ME). It had a fair amount of winny parts and I was able to trade some of the Springfield parts for Win parts and got it to mostly Winchester in the end (not the barrel). Made $500 when I sold it counting the money I put in to it for parts. Fun project.

In case you didn’t know, Sarco has a pretty bad reputation. I haven’t bought from them personally, but everything I’ve read says to stay away.

Might be worth the trip. What day do they sell on? Do you need to bring all the regular paper work? Thanks

Best way to know the ropes would be to call the CMP. I don't recall if they will simply sell via whatever are the local laws or if they follow CMP procedures. I have current paperwork with the CMP and bought a '65 SA rebuilt Winchester from VT last year- was easy-peasy for me. Rifle sales are Thursday - Sunday, though I don't recall the specific hours. Usually there is a day / time for competitors to get first dibs. New England Games - Civilian Marksmanship Program

There is also no guarantee that rack grades, or any specific grade of Garand will be available at the travel games. There will be Garands, but it's anyone's guess as to what type. Actually, they have had drill rifles in the past - so if you really want a project........

You could plan a trip to cmp north or south store.
If i had the time and money i would grab a rifle or 2 and head down to the cmp shooting complex spend the day and hit the store. Then possibly hit as many LGS on the drive back.

Back
Top Bottom