looking for help

i was at an ipsc shoot this weekend and saw all the open
guns and of course i want one now i recenty bought a \
S&W 1911 5" would this be a good base for an open gun?
and if so could somebody recomend someone to help/build it
with/for me and help would be great

ps it never stops you see somthing new and you want it :D

o ya any pics would help to and an estimated cost

The first thing to do is join the USPSA. You can get classed and learn a lot about what guns are used from their magazine, Front Sight. Most relevant to your question, is that it gives you access to the USPSA classifieds. That is the place to get the best deals on IPSC guns. People win guns at matchs and sell them, people sell their old guns, and there always seems to be someone getting out of the sport.

Open guns realistically range in price from $2000-3500, depending on the package. I have pics of mine somewhere. www.brianenos.com has tons of pics and enough info on them to make your head spin.

The most economical open gun right now (under $2k) is built on the Glock in 9Major (9mm loaded really hot at 1320+fps).

A competitive open gun in USPSA has to be a double stack. There is no way you can compete with a 10 round mag against guy with a 28 round mag. Your Smith and Wesson is perfect for Limited 10, which is just as competitive a division and will make you good. Some Open Master class shooters are hiding in that division!

I dont want to curb your enthusiasm because I think its great you want to progress and continue. If it were me, I'd stick with the Glock that you were using so well on sunday for a bit longer. You can learn some bad habits by moving up to the open class a little too fast. This is just my .02 but I think getting the basics down now is more important than shooting a race gun at this point. I've been in your shoes, I know what you are feeling. Whatever you decide to do, Feel free to contact me through this board and I'llhelp you any way I can. Again, It was great to meet you sunday.

Steve, LOL.....

S&W 1911

Your S&W 1911 only needs three things to bring it up to the level where the right driver could win the Limited 10 division at the USPSA Nationals with it:

#1: A few 10 round magazines. The best are those made by Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick/Shooting Star

#2: A decent trigger job

#3: A 'race holster' and at least 4 belt mounted magazine carriers - just go to a USPSA/ISPC match and start talking to people - you'll learn all about the options.

----------------

You cannot shoot this gun in production since it's single action.

You could shoot it in limited, but you'd be going up against some guns with greater than 10 round magazine capacity.

If you shoot it in Limited 10, the equipment will not be a handicap.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom