• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for an M1 Garand for Christmas

Because theirs are better? Or do the originals quickly break?
Have no idea how old the springs are so replacement is not a bad idea plus if you actual shoot your M1s something is bound to go. Extractors, ejectors and springs will fail firing pins will break. Other than that pretty tough to wear the old iron out
Also for me the rifles just sound better with fresh springs. I also feel like some of them shot a little better also.

+1 for the Orion7 springs. Not very expensive either. Reminds me I need to order a spare. Probably should order a spare firing pin as well.

If your bolt headspace is OK, not critical to replace it. If you do replace it, you'll need to re-check and possibly need some work for correct headspace. IIRC, CMP checks this before selling? Regardless, if you find the headspace to be unsafe I'm sure CMP would correct the problem.

I'm looking for the Special Grade with a National Match trigger.

giphy.webp

Speaking of M1's ---------- I will be selling off some various firearms in the next week or so.

I have a very nice HR M1 30-06. Post war 1954 i believe was the approx production date.
It is a CMP gun i purchased a dozen years ago from a local match shooter. I have had it out twice in as many years and it runs flawlessly. I will get some pics up tomorrow.
I can ask the moon but will clearly state $1200 to own. Thanks in advance.

When DickWanner was working in a shop down towards Middleboro, there was a Garand in a barrel with other rifles that caught my eye. Wish I bought it, it was dressed in chrome for parade duty.

I'm looking for the Special Grade with a National Match trigger.

giphy.webp

CMP charges ~$40 for a trigger job. If you order a rifle from them, you can have them send it over to the custom shop for a trigger job before it ships to you. They'll do a decent job.

Just saw this, thanks.

$1,050.00
Free Shipping

They’re in stock!

price went up a little $1030 last time in stock. Better than the big jumps in price.
i hope they do some field grade specials again for $850 with the ugly recievers. I will snag one of those if they do especially in 308.

That's a crazy lead time for the CMP trigger job, and the price went up a lot.

I have the diamond hones (DMT brand, I think) and have done the trigger jobs on my last two Garands and my M14 as well. Was able to get a nice pull and break at ~4.7 to 4.8 lbs. It's not at all difficult but a little tedious if you take the proper time to keep checking how close you are getting to 5 lbs break. DW617 just did a trigger job on his M14 via the same method and was pleased with the result.

That said, Tim Shuff has an excellent reputation.

6 month wait for a trigger job. $65.

Or I can send the trigger group to Garand Trigger Job – Shuff's Parkerizing

He gets good reviews on the M1 forums. Maybe it’ll be light enough from CMP.

I definitely want the bayonet too.
CMP custom shop must be catching up. You don't want to know the lead times for a over haul.
I have seen Shuffs work. I would not hesitate for him to do any thing. I could not believe how nice a friend's M1 came out. It was a rack grade on its best day. Came back like new.
Seen a tanker also. The other 2 where refinished nicely

looks like a 10 ring rifle!

Back
Top Bottom