• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long Range Shooting

Yea, they did a Rem 700 build on Sighting In. It was a tack driver. I think that they were shooting I believe 7mm Rem. Ultra Mag. At 100 yards, they were hitting 5 shots all touching each other.

But that was with custom loaded ammo. But still. With all the diffrent model 700's, which one do I want? That's what always killed me with the 700. There's like 3000 models that Remington has of the Model 700 alone.

C-Pher, there's really 2 choices for a Rem 700 for long range work.

Rem 700 PSS is the best choice, and you can slowly rebuild from there. Some of the work you can even do yourself.

They used to make a Model 700 BDL Varmint Special. It's basically the same gun the Marines used in Vietnam as the M40.

Either way, I also recommend 308 Win for your caliber.

I think you should all quit belly aching and just get yourselves a custom 10/22. [pot]

I mean, doesn't every man enjoy the satisfaction of pulling the trigger, feeling no recoil, and having their rifle go "pop!" [laugh]

SiameseRat said:
I think you should all quit belly aching and just get yourselves a custom 10/22. [pot]

I mean, doesn't every man enjoy the satisfaction of pulling the trigger, feeling no recoil, and having their rifle go "pop!" [laugh]

I have a 10/22. And I plan on building a few more down the road...

But for now...I want something that goes BANG, not pop.

C-Pher, that would be an excellent choice.

That and the 700 VLS are what's replaced the old Varmint Special. The VSF would be my choice, since you wouldn't have to replace the stock, just possibly redo the bedding. Tweak the trigger (or better, replace it) add a top quality scope, like a 6x24 Mil-Dot, and you would definitely have something. A lot cheaper than getting an M24 SWS.

The 700 PSS may not show up on that web site. I know they've been available, look in Shotgun News for ads that have them.

Also, remember, the invite to try some of my stuff is always open to you. I'm a longer range nut, and my choice of collector type stuff tends towards Sniper Rifles.

SR, that 10/22 will start crappping out by 200 yards or so. Don't laugh, I've got the 22 I used to shoot groups at 100 yards with, a Rem 513T. Just don't have that old scope for any more.

Nickle said:
SR, that 10/22 will start crappping out by 200 yards or so. Don't laugh, I've got the 22 I used to shoot groups at 100 yards with, a Rem 513T. Just don't have that old scope for any more.
I wouldn't doubt it. I shot my 10/22 using iron sights at 100 yards and didn't even get on the paper [shocked]

Though JackO was there and let me borrow his 10/22 with red dot sights. I hit the paper just fine, 9s and 10s. But I can't imagine that at 200 yards I'd be getting anything but dirt.

C-pher said:
So, a quick search says that the PSS isn't made, but this is almost the same gun.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_VSF_specs.asp

Don't know, as I'll need to do some more reading...

C-pher...

You won't find the 700 PSS on the Remington website. When I was looking into my 700 LTR, I was a little upset I couldn't find it either...until I realized it wasn't supposed to be a civillian rifle, it was for LE.

Check out Remington's OTHER website: http://www.remingtonle.com

It should be there...If not, ask your local gun shop. Carl at Four Seasons usuallly keeps one in stock.

About 4 years ago I sent my REM700PSS in .308 to HS Precision for some mods. They replaced the servicable, but nonadjustable, factory stock with one that has variable cheek and pull. They also replaced the factory floor metal with their quick release type. With custom loads (Varget/neck turned Federal brass/Sierra moly 168 boattails/Federal competition primers/Wilson dies, etc.) from a rest it will shoot 1/4 degree-of-arc. Its cold zero in predictable, but the barrel needs to warm up a bit to achieve the best accuracy. The REM700s are great values for the money.

Dan S said:
By the way, you'd be better off researching long range shooting on something other than the television. Here's one place that deals with Palma and F class shooting. No TV stars here.
http://www.long-range.com/forums/index.php?http://www.long-range.com/forums/

Yea, I just don't know anyone that shoots it around me. And when I say that, I mean someone that I shoot with on a regular basis. So, when I saw the episode on the Military Channel, and the one on the history channel, I watched them. And they really got me thinking...

Hence why I said that I don't know that much about them. Even though they are documentaries they are still made for some entertainment value, not a teaching aid. I do understand that.

And, sighting in does have some really good topics. And while these shows are just long advertisements. (someone has to pay for the show) They still do have some good ideas on projects to get you thinking as well. It's just another avenue for me to get exposue on items that I possibly wouldn't have otherwise seen.

So, thank you for you link. I'll have to check it out.

Nickle said:
He's looking for a few levels up from the Savage. The Rem 700 is mentioned, because it's a good platform to start from.

Opinions differ, but I don't consider the Remington 700 a step up from a Savage.

If money is no object, start with a Kelbly Long-Range/F-Class Action, add a Krieger barrel blank, and throw it in a McMillan stock. That's only about $2000. Of course, gunsmithing isn't included in that price and sights or glass will set you back another $750 minimum.

Used Long-Range rilfes can be found locally if other shooters know you are looking. That would be my best advice; buy used.

If Long-Range is your ONLY game, skip the .308 and go right to the 6.5-.284.

C-pher,

Like TonyD said, it’s best to do some more research and pick the game first, then let that drive your choice.

With that being said, just remember that long range shooting is something that most people get into by migrating from something that is a little more accessible; like shooting CMP at a local club. I don’t know too many people that jumped right into long range, but I haven’t been around since they formalized the F-Class thing.

If you want to find out more about formalized shooting, you have good access from North Attleboro to Reading and Nashua in less than an hour. You can just go up there and introduce yourself and watch a shoot. Bring a set of binoculars or a spotting scope. Do that before buying anything. You will most likely meet people that also shoot long range and will offer you advice about that. If you ask after they are done shooting, most will be more than happy to show you their equipment and some might let you try it. I’d recommend a 600yd practice at Nashua or one of the 3 600yds at Reading.

http://www.nfga.org/highpower/2006schedule.html

I can’t post anything for Reading because they decided to dump the webpage. Don’t worry the shoots are better than the marketing. Maybe someone else has a working link. The delphi forum has dead links to a Reading schedule.

Brian

PatMcD,

I agree with what you said about the Savage rifles. Very good quality out of the box and they have some very cool features. Replaceable bolt face is a great one! They are not a step down from anything. They will shoot with the best of them in High Power. Larry Racine has made a couple of Palma teams with one. He is the New Hampshire Savage guru.

Also he has two .308 M70 rifles for about $1300. It's a good place to get a decent rifle. I had him build me a M70 Palma rifle that is fantastic and he has done work on my AR-10. I'd go with a savage in a second if I was starting out and didn't have a lot invested in M70 parts and tools.

http://www.lprgunsmith.com/target_rifles.asp

Brian

Look at the picture (results from a local match) and tell me the number of Savages used. Yes, an out of box Savage is OK, and it's debatable if it's better than the Remington as-is. However, I think you'll find C-Pher is looking for the Remington as a starting point.

C-Pher, check out the url, it's the Bench Rest organization I used to shoot with.

http://www.international-benchrest.com/

equip.jpg

I didn't say Savage was BETTER than a Rem 700. I said I didn't consider a 700 a step-UP from a Savage. A 40X is a step-UP. A huge step-UP is a Kelbly/Panda, RPA, Stolle, etc.. Unfortunately, they are also a HUGE step-UP in $$$.

Also, Benchrest isn't Long-Range. I'm getting out of my depth here, but I think that while accuracy is paramount in both games, I would guess that the action requirements might differ a little. Long-Range tends to utilize a more powerful/higher pressure cartridge, longer barrels, ability to mount irons, etc..

I don't mean to be argumentative, although it might read that way. I'll let others who have experiance in true, dedicated Long-Range give the expert advice. My experience goes no further than 600yds.

600 yard and 1000 yard aren't Long Range?

I've shot further than that (1500 yards max, and it was military), but never over 300 yards in competition.

Well, I showed a local shoot, but, here's a shoot a little further away. Now, if you knew exactly what my Rem 600 was (or especially the XP-100 I used to have), you would understand.

http://www.international-benchrest.com/%2006results/HawksRidge/Match2.htm

Lot's of good info in this thread so far. Damn you guys for starting me thinking about picking up a .308 bolt action again.[wink] I'll have to wait for more funds or trade something in before I do that.

Pat, Does anyone shoot irons at the 3x600 in Hampden? or is it all scoped rifles? I don't think I can make this weekend, but hopefully at least one in the future. I am planning on shooting more of the service rifle matches this year.

CD

cdkayak said:
Lot's of good info in this thread so far. Damn you guys for starting me thinking about picking up a .308 bolt action again.[wink] I'll have to wait for more funds or trade something in before I do that.

Pat, Does anyone shoot irons at the 3x600 in Hampden? or is it all scoped rifles? I don't think I can make this weekend, but hopefully at least one in the future. I am planning on shooting more of the service rifle matches this year.

CD

Yes it is.. This is why I think that I need to get with someone and check it out...

While going to a match is a good way of doing it... I'm a dink when it comes to just going up to someone out of the blue like that. So I would rather have someone that I can either go with, or meet, or just spend a few hours with someone to see if I would even like it...

I have a feeling that I would. But I would rather be sure...

Nickle,

I’m not all that positive about benchrest, but I do know that those rifles are built based on many specs. One of those specs is weight. If you have a lightweight action you can put more weight in the barrel (where it will do more for accuracy in that application). My guess is that the Savage action isn’t as light weight as an M700; XP100 or custom action. I’m not sure that is necessarily the case in what you posted, but it would be my suspicion. You also don’t see Winchesters in there either. My guess is it has the same thing to do with the weight issue.

I have a Palma rifle that is built on a M70 action. While some may say that it isn’t as nice as a custom action, and they are right, it doesn’t really effect its competitiveness. I tend to think that the custom actions have a slight edge when it comes to things like bedding surface. If you have a large bedding surface it will probably stand up in the long run a lot better than something like a M700 or Winchester. The top shooter in the last Palma Team tryout was shooting a M70. Custom actions can also be more cost effective in certain applications. All the stuff is trued up and the smith doesn’t have to do a lot. Larry did spend some time truing up mine.

Also in High Power 600yds is considered mid range. Long range does not start until 800yds and you can’t even get a long range classification by shooting 600yds any more.

Brian

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom