Long gun certificate

Is it legal in CT even if i dont have a long gun certificate to own a long gun? Because after all how would anyone know when the gun was purchased if it was purchased through a private seller in another state? All that i would have for proof of ownership from a private sale like that would be a bill of sale correct?

Is it legal in CT even if i dont have a long gun certificate to own a long gun? Because after all how would anyone know when the gun was purchased if it was purchased through a private seller in another state? All that i would have for proof of ownership from a private sale like that would be a bill of sale correct?

Own? Yes, providing that you meet the statutory requirements of age, non-felon, etc.
Purchase? Nope.

But DavidC77's right - relying on an internet forum for legal advice isn't in your best interest.

I suppose i could call them but to be honest id rather not for a few reasons. Do you think being gifted or inheriting the firearm would be the same as a purchase? I dont think anyone is going to bother me over a .22 anyway to be honest.

I suppose i could call them but to be honest id rather not for a few reasons. Do you think being gifted or inheriting the firearm would be the same as a purchase? I dont think anyone is going to bother me over a .22 anyway to be honest.

Then don't call the SLFU.

But DO use their website, trusting our opinions is stupid when you've got a better source readily available and way too much to lose - felony convictions leave a mark.

the way things are going nothing will be legal soon

To OP:
Buying or being "gifted" any guns from private parties in another state is a federal felony! CT will be the least of your worries.

To OP:
Buying or being "gifted" any guns from private parties in another state is a federal felony! CT will be the least of your worries.

Wait, what? I've bought long guns from out of state no issues. Are you referring to handguns (which I know are a no no) or are you saying "private sales" are a no no and out of state ffl's are good to go

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Wait, what? I've bought long guns from out of state no issues. Are you referring to handguns (which I know are a no no) or are you saying "private sales" are a no no and out of state ffl's are good to go

Did you read what I wrote??

What does the phrase "Private parties" mean?

Read the OP here:

That is what I was responding to.

Just join the other 300 Thou in CT that (according to CT) own guns illegally now...

All joking aside (again I don't know for sure and do not listen to "Forum Lawyers" )
I would call and find out if someone without a FID/LTC (or whatever it is in CT) can own a gun, I would think it's not legal... I would think it's fairly easy to get a longgun permit in CT...

Again I would call and find out, why jam yourself up???

Last edited:
Sorry Len, for some reason when I read that the private part just slipped through the mental floor boards. I was honestly confused.

Sorry Len, for some reason when I read that the private part just slipped through the mental floor boards. I was honestly confused.

No problem.

I learned a long time ago that the devil is in the details wrt legal stuff. Thus one must read the original questions very carefully not to let a "nuance" that changes the legal landscape to go un-noticed.

I am confused how buying a long gun in another state from a private party is illegal, even if it was i don't understand how anyone would know the difference since the only paper trail would be a bill of sale which only I would have a copy of anyway. Would purchasing a long gun in another state from a private party be illegal even before these new CT laws were enacted?

I am confused how buying a long gun in another state from a private party is illegal...

Federal law dictates that transfers between individuals with dissimilar states of residence must be effected by a FFL.

Transfers of handguns must be effected by a FFL in the transferee's state of residence.

Transfers of long-guns may be effected by a FFL in any state (subject to both state's laws).

Would purchasing a long gun in another state from a private party be illegal even before these new CT laws were enacted?

Yes, since 1968.

Federal law dictates that transfers between individuals with dissimilar states of residence must be effected by a FFL.

Transfers of handguns must be effected by a FFL in the transferee's state of residence.

Transfers of long-guns may be effected by a FFL in any state (subject to both state's laws).

Yes, since 1968.

^^^^ This.

Some of us here are good at knowing and sharing the various federal and state gun laws. What you do with that info is up to you, I personally don't care what folks do with the info as whatever penalties that come with getting caught violating the laws fall on the individual and if one makes an informed decision to violate the law, so be it.

Last edited:
i see well i dont feel like going to jail so i guess i wont be getting a .22 anytime soon. I was going to try and get around the long gun certificate law but i dont see a way of doing that. My main problem is being fingerprinted, i dont want my fingerprints in the system. I am not a felon or anything and would pass a background check i just dont like the idea of my fingerprints being documented.

EDIT: would it be legal for me own a firearm that was purchased from a private party and then loaned to me, possibly loaned to me indefinitely....

Also if i had a FFL in the state it was purchase it in transfer it to a FFL in CT would they not transfer it to me because i dont have a long gun certificate?

Last edited:

You are correct. If you moved to CT with guns, they wouldn't know and it would be legal. If you had a pistol permit but it expired. You could lawfully own long guns without any permits.

There is no reason to call anyone.

You don't need a certificate. PERIOD.

You need a certificate or a PP to purchase one. Everyone knows, including the police that this has only been the law for 2 years and that there are thousands of long gun owners who don't have any license and don't need any license.

You can do whatever you want with a long gun with no license whatsoever. You can carry it, bring it to the range. Shoot, you can even drive a car with it across your lap. Just don't load it while you are driving. Then you have a problem.

Don

p.s. No, I can't find a law saying that you don't need a license. Thats now how laws work. Laws restrict rights. So I can only produce a citation that shows that its illegal to transport a long gun loaded in a car (or on a snowmobile) Everything else is legal because of the ABSENCE of any restrictions.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap943.htm#Sec53-205.htm

- - - Updated - - -

Own? Yes, providing that you meet the statutory requirements of age, non-felon, etc.
Purchase? Nope.

But DavidC77's right - relying on an internet forum for legal advice isn't in your best interest.

Relying on an internet forum for legal advise is just fine, provided that the posters provide citations, which allow you to read and form your own conclusions.

Last edited:

Do not call. Calling does you no good. Either get it in writing, via an email to Sgt. D'Amato or don't bother.

Gifting a firearm to you without a PP or long gun card would be illegal. But if the gifting was done quietly and has been owned by the "giver" for a long time, there is essentially no risk. CT does not "register" guns. They only track transactions. That used to be an important distinction since long guns could be transferred with no Government knowledge prior to 4/2013

Bequeathment is another item alltogether. I'm 90% sure CT law does have exemptions for bequeathment upon the death of the owner. I'll try to find a citation for that.

i see well i dont feel like going to jail so i guess i wont be getting a .22 anytime soon. I was going to try and get around the long gun certificate law but i dont see a way of doing that. My main problem is being fingerprinted, i dont want my fingerprints in the system. I am not a felon or anything and would pass a background check i just dont like the idea of my fingerprints being documented.

EDIT: would it be legal for me own a firearm that was purchased from a private party and then loaned to me, possibly loaned to me indefinitely....

Also if i had a FFL in the state it was purchase it in transfer it to a FFL in CT would they not transfer it to me because i dont have a long gun certificate?

It would be perfectly legal for someone to loan you a long gun or even a handgun.

See the answer to the first question: https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

Without any permits in CT, you could still use the long gun as you please.

You would not be able to leave the house with the handgun other than to
1) bring it to the range for formal instruction
2) bring it for repair.

Don't take my word for it. Read it and draw your own conclusions: http://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_529.htm#sec_29-35

Would it still be legal for the firearm to be loaned even if the it was purchased in another state from a private party? Also i am confused how it is low risk since if the serial number is looked up couldnt it be traced back to the other state without anything showing it was transferred here? Even if the gun was say 10 years old and was purchased new in florida, wouldn't i have to make up a story about how i purchased it? Because upon researching the ATF clearly specifies that private party firearm transactions across states lines is not legal.

Or maybe i have it wrong. I am slightly confused. There is an atf form when guns are purchased new from an FFL but is this kept on file? There is no national gun registry or any long gun registry for that matter anywhere in the US correct?

Last edited:
Would it still be legal for the firearm to be loaned even if the it was purchased in another state from a private party? Also i am confused how it is low risk since if the serial number is looked up couldnt it be traced back to the other state without anything showing it was transferred here? Even if the gun was say 10 years old and was purchased new in florida, wouldn't i have to make up a story about how i purchased it? Because upon researching the ATF clearly specifies that private party firearm transactions across states lines is not legal.

Or maybe i have it wrong. I am slightly confused. There is an atf form when guns are purchased new from an FFL but is this kept on file? There is no national gun registry or any long gun registry for that matter anywhere in the US correct?

What is with all this worry about tracing?

Neither the feds nor the states know where guns are for sure once they leave a dealer. There are many many ways for guns to lawfully move around in intrastate and interstate commerce without leaving a trail as to their whereabouts.

I gave a few ways in an earlier post. Here's another.

You list the gun on a web site that does not actually complete the transaction. Like facebook, and sell it to someone in another state. You ship the gun to the out of state dealer yourself. (perfectly legal).
The dealer legally transfers the gun to the buyer.

Your state still thinks you own the gun. The ATF if they traced it would stop at you. And if you were a freedom loving guy who threw away all records of the sale, they couldnt' find out where the gun went unless they contacted the shipping company and had them search their records for any guns you've shipped.

So to get back to your original question. An interstate loan is perfectly totally legal. I'm not sure what you mean by "Would it still be legal for the firearm to be loaned even if the it was purchased in another state from a private party?"

In this sentence you use the words loan and purchase. Its got to be one or the other. Not both. I'll assume you meant to write "even if it was loaned from a private party in another state".

The answer is still Yes. ((Edit - See kevlar's more nuanced explanation below)

Again, don't take my word for it.

See
https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-frequently-asked-questions-unlicensed-persons

A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law.

Last edited:
Don,

The actual statute is slightly more nuanced than you, and the FAQ you cited, imply.

Yes, interstate loans for “...temporary use for lawful sporting purposes” are permitted (18 USC 922(a)(5)(B)).

However, 18 USC 922(a)(3) prohibits “...any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides...any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State...”

In other words, the OP could not legally travel to another state, borrow a gun, and transport it back to CT. The individual loaning the OP a firearm would need to travel to CT to legally effect the loan.

See full text of the statute here: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2013-title18/html/USCODE-2013-title18-partI-chap44-sec922.htm

Stupid question that I may have missed the answer to...
There is nothing wrong with a ffl in another state transferring a firearm from the op's private seller to himself? Or would the out of state ffl need to ship it to the instate ffl?

Stupid question that I may have missed the answer to...
There is nothing wrong with a ffl in another state transferring a firearm from the op's private seller to himself? Or would the out of state ffl need to ship it to the instate ffl?

Federal law permits a FFL in any State to effect a transfer of a long-gun to (a) resident(s) of any other State(s), subject to those State's laws.

As Don is much better versed in CT law, he can address the legality of transport into, and possession of, said long-gun in CT in such a scenario.

Federal law permits a FFL in any State to effect a transfer of a long-gun to (a) resident(s) of any other State(s), subject to those State's laws.

As Don is much better versed in CT law, he can address the legality of transport into, and possession of, said long-gun in CT in such a scenario.

I was just confused as to whether or not it made a difference between it being a transfer and a standard sale.

Firearms purchased or transferred in a state like ME, NH, or VT don't require fingerprints, just a 4473.

well had a friend buy a used .22 through a FFL from a "free state" (couldnt find a private seller), its used enough where its older than the new CT laws that make a long gun certificate a thing. But there's still the forms that show it was transferred recently, not sure if that's something the ATF keeps on file or not. The .22 is now being loaned to me. Hopefully im not breaking the law here, but i doubt anyone will never notice if i am.

Back
Top Bottom