long distance 9mm load for carbine?

8.7 hs6 with a 125 loaded 1.170
I recommend you work up slowly if you ate going to try this

WOW, I have been poking around a little bit regarding maximums with this combination and I saw that the older LEE book suggested a maximum of 7.2 gn. Your load is massive. Can anyone tell me if my Beretta CX4 has a supported enough chamber for even a 7gn load? I read the Glock does not have a supported enough chamber. How about my S&W 1911 9mm?

Chris

WOW, I have been poking around a little bit regarding maximums with this combination and I saw that the older LEE book suggested a maximum of 7.2 gn. Your load is massive. Can anyone tell me if my Beretta CX4 has a supported enough chamber for even a 7gn load? I read the Glock does not have a supported enough chamber. How about my S&W 1911 9mm?

Chris

I would not run 9 major thru a SW 1911, especially if it does not have a ramped barrel. People run it in glocks too, but usually with an aftermarket barrel and comp. I have no idea about the CX4. Like I said, if you are going to try it, work up slow and watch for pressure signs

Chris

Is there a particular reason that you want to do this?

Supermoto did it to make major with a 9mm. Do you just want to do it because it sounds cool? It's a good way to ruin your gun. If you need more gun, get more gun - don't try to make a 9mm something it wasn't designed to be (unless the rules are such that you benefit from doing so).

Have you even tried 'normal' ammo at 100 yards to see how it shoots? You need to establish a baseline, right? How else will you be able to tell if your super-duper ammo is any better?

When you're working your way up, do you know what to look for? Forget flattened primers and brass extruded into the extractor recess - you're likely to get both of those before you come close to Supermoto's load. What particular pressure sign are you going to use to say, "OK. I can't go any higher"? The gun flying apart? Do you think your CX4 is stronger than a 1911?

Also - forget about reloading the brass after you load it that hot.

Good luck. Post pictures of the pieces of your Beretta when you get out of the hospital.

ETA: Isn't the CX4 a straight-blowback action?

Think through how the action works, and what will happen when you use ammo that's much more powerful than what the gun was designed for.

Last edited:
Is there a particular reason that you want to do this?

Pretty simple, just trying to figure out how to make the most powerful and safe load for the CX4. We got to these 9mm major loads in a round about way honestly, it was not my initial intention. SM suggested HS6 for high FPS out of 9mm which I finally found to purchase. I was just questioning how he got to 1500 FPS when the top published load is around 1200 FPS (with 7.2 gn of powder.) I think I will start with the high-end of he published loads and see how they shoot. This has been more of a brain exercise than anything.

Speaking of detecting too high pressure, what are the signs besides flattened primers, extractor impressions and hard to extract brass? The gun blowing up?

Good luck. Post pictures of the pieces of your Beretta when you get out of the hospital.

Thanks Dad [smile]

Back
Top Bottom