• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Light/moderate Restoration Project

Darksideblues42

NES Life Member
NES Member
My company President retires in around 18 months.

He is an avid hunter and prefers old school firearms, feels they are more sporting for the prey animal.

I picked up a Springfield Trapdoor model of 1884 best guess is that this is an 1885 manufacture based on the serial number.

Has a Buffington rear sight, bore is shiny and crisp, and all in all, it seems to be a very good candidate for mild restoration.

The company decided to sponsor this project.

Anyone (besides @The Goose who was already a huge help) have any suggestions on who to go to for some light restoration work?

IMG_20190828_143041.jpg IMG_20190828_143124.jpg IMG_20190828_142950.jpg IMG_20190828_143035.jpg

That's in nice shape. I wouldn't do anything more than disassemble it, clean and maybe card the metal and clean and lightly oil the stock. If there are any buggered screw heads peen them back into shape.

That's in nice shape. I wouldn't do anything more than disassemble it, clean and maybe card the metal and clean and lightly oil the stock. If there are any buggered screw heads peen them back into shape.
There are a handful of buggered screws and a fine crack in the stock. I want to get that crack addressed at an absolute minimum. IMG_20190902_221020.jpg

That looks like the typical crack from someone trying to drive out the breach block pin with the action still in the stock.

I would disassemble and clean the stock. I like to use denatured alcohol and a medium steel wool. If possible, drill through the crack from the inside (do not penetrate the outside) for small wooden dowels (3/32" or so). Fill the holes with epoxy and force the dowels in to push the epoxy into the crack. Finish as needed.

I hear the lady that did this restoration is available.

painting-fresco_2316720b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom