• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LF M1A Model Recommendations

I have had buying an M1A on the back burner for a while, and am thinking now might be the time. I was looking at the various models last night, and the M1A Scout Squad in Black or Walnut seems to be the best choice from a pragmatism point of view. That said, I love the look of the M1A National Match with walnut stock and stainless barrel. From an aesthetics perspective, it is a beautiful and capable rifle.

The application is that I am looking for an MBR that serves as a long range capable alternative to my go-to WW 15, and I have been wanting an M1A for a while. At the risk of blaspheming, would an ACOG be appropriate for this application, or a bigger scope, or iron sights? I have alway been an iron sights guy, but I have to admit, my eyes are getting old, and target acquisition and accuracy with my AimPoint PRO on the WW is pretty good.

Disclaimer: I know there are tons of threads on .308's, and probably a bunch of people going to say M1A'a are banned, but let's ignore that for now. Please.

Depending on who you ask it's completely sacrilegious but I've wanted the 308 versions more than the 30-06 just due to ammo cost. Help that 7.62x51 runs through them too.

- - - Updated - - -

That said, your ultimate range length will limit the usefulness of any scope you get. Vortex makes sweet, durable scopes that should be worth looking into.

How good is your shooting? How long is your idea of 'long-range'? Are you prepared to give up some short-range speed and handiness to make the image better at those long ranges?
An ACOG on an LMT MWS 308 has served me well out to 500 yards, which is the farthest I've had the chance to take it so far. The BDC markings go to 800, and the rifle is accurate enough to make that work, if I put it on a bipod and do my job right. At the 3.5x magnification, though, target ID is still going to be a challenge at 600+ yards. If I was planning on primarily long-range shooting, instead of trying to cover all use-cases, I'd give up the BAC fast acquisition and just get something in the 5-15x range with a good FFP Mil/Mil reticle - lots of options there, from Vortex and SWFA all the way through the fancy European options like S&B.

I don't see anything there indicating how far you intend to shoot, whether it will be at steel or on paper for groups? That would determine what power scope to look at.

While Vortex has a good warranty, the quality of their glass really isn't that good. Look at SWFA if you are buying a scope under $1k. The SWFA 3-15 is FFP and MIL/MIL, something you will want at 1,000 yards.

I would love to get a M1a as well. I have a millet on my ar10, it's a budget scope. And I notice my eyes get tired when I look through it for a while.

When I can save a few bucks I'm going to look into a nightforce scope. I've been watching them on eBay for a while. I would even buy a used one. I figure if someone spent that much on glass they probably took care of it.

But I don't recommend cheaping out on glass.

Buy once, cry once.

I would feel fine using the AR out to about 300 yards with iron sights. I haven't done much at distance since adding the Aimpoint Pro.

For the M1A, and maybe these are incompatible, but I would like to be able to go out 500 yards + while maintaining some semblance of usability for much closer ranges.

You can't really get the proper distance for the eye relief for the ACOG on an M1A without an ACOG specific scope mount. The 18" barrel will suit you well for the distance requirement. Irons will do just fine at that distance. Depends on your eyes and shooting ability as well. I'd say buy the M1A or an M14 variant with irons and practice with it before spending any money on glass.

You can't really get the proper distance for the eye relief for the ACOG on an M1A without an ACOG specific scope mount. The 18" barrel will suit you well for the distance requirement. Irons will do just fine at that distance. Depends on your eyes and shooting ability as well. I'd say buy the M1A or an M14 variant with irons and practice with it before spending any money on glass.

TY

Back in olden days, I would regularly go out 400 yards with an M-16 and iron sights. The main problem I have these days is that I can barely see a 12x12 target at 200 yards with iron sights. I need bigger paper I guess.

TY

Back in olden days, I would regularly go out 400 yards with an M-16 and iron sights. The main problem I have these days is that I can barely see a 12x12 target at 200 yards with iron sights. I need bigger paper I guess.

I can't speak for the challenges of mounting the ACOG on the M1A, but one other option, given that range and your confidence, is a scout scope - the Scout Squad already has a rail in place, and a Leupod Scout will give you a 2.5x magnification (making 500 yards look like 200 with Irons, approximately) and a really clear picture for a couple hundred bucks. I have a scout mounted on a Garand, and it's a joy to shoot. You don't get a BDC, but inside 500 yards with 308, you can hold for it. If you want more magnification, I believe they even have a fancy variable illuminated scout scope for around $500.

With a Brookfield type scope mount on the rifle you will maintain use of the iron sights while the scope is mounted.

Thanks again for the responses. At this point, I am considering the Scout Squad in black synthetic and maybe the Leupold Scout scope. I might need a new safe to put it in, though...

Ive had no luck with either of my M1A's with anything but iron sights. Mounting options aren't as good as AR/bolt guns and they are heavy as hell. I keep mine with irons now. Good luck.

Before getting to crazy with optics have you considered getting your eyes checked and see if a new Rx just for shooting might return the fun in iron sight shooting.
The NRA/CMP 200 yard target has a 13" black bull and it's 36" @ 600 yards...
I need a Rx to see the iron sights.
Go to eye doctor that understands shooters needs. Such as Dr. Stew Ginsberg @ Natick Eye Associates.
Consider also what ammo your going to use in your M1a. Have fun...there where a couple of M1a in the classifieds not long ago.

So, to close the loop on this, I talked to FS this morning, and per the person I talked to, and their web site, they have confirmed that the M1A is ok, as it is not an AR-15 copy or duplicate. I will be getting mine from B&K when they find the one I want, but FS said they have 50 on order for your pants-crapping, gun hording pleasure. ;p

Thanks again for the advice.

Interesting, since the M1A has nearly the same firing system as an M14. This state is so full of shit, its eyes are brown.

So, to close the loop on this, I talked to FS this morning, and per the person I talked to, and their web site, they have confirmed that the M1A is ok, as it is not an AR-15 copy or duplicate. I will be getting mine from B&K when they find the one I want, but FS said they have 50 on order for your pants-crapping, gun hording pleasure. ;p

Thanks again for the advice.

Sweet, those FS guys are nice, wouldn't mind sharing a cell with them.

Jokes aside, you know at some point the AG is going to have to appease the Fudds, this could be the start of it.

Let's hope so, cause the more contradictory the rules, the less chance it has of standing.

The "Loaded" line of the M1A is a nice alternative to the "National Match". It still has the NM barrel and sight but the elevation is MOA not 1/2MOA. It also comes with a one-time discount on a list of accessories (direct from Springfield) that have varying levels of discount but were all well below on-line pricing.

I have a Scout Squad in green synthetic plastic and older m1a with painted fiberglass stock from the factory.
between the two they almost seem like two different riffles when shooting.
the fiberglass even with a new squishy but pad is punishing.
the scout squad easy shooter.
I would assume with the wood stock would be some where in between.

yes optics are a problem, especially if you want to retain stripper fed configuration.
I have a redot aimpoint for the squad on the front barrel picatiny rail, but have not shot it much in that condition, so I don't know how it will hold up, if at all.
the both sit now with just the iron sights.

Depending on you your intended use, I would assume a rack grade would hit human size targets out 400M with irons no problem. Getting into competition just buy the National match. If you have the money and just want a nice gun get one of the upgraded ones.

I don't think the original AWB had the m14 listed at all, but I could be wrong.

I replaced the rail and guard on my Scout Squad with an Ultimak rail http://ultimak.com/M8.htm. I mounted an Aimpoint red dot on it, and can co-witness with the front sight, or even use the rear sight through the optic. I ran ~100 or so rounds through it and the sight seems to be holding up.

I have a Scout Squad in green synthetic plastic and older m1a with painted fiberglass stock from the factory.
between the two they almost seem like two different riffles when shooting.
the fiberglass even with a new squishy but pad is punishing.
the scout squad easy shooter.
I would assume with the wood stock would be some where in between.

yes optics are a problem, especially if you want to retain stripper fed configuration.
I have a redot aimpoint for the squad on the front barrel picatiny rail, but have not shot it much in that condition, so I don't know how it will hold up, if at all.
the both sit now with just the iron sights.

Depending on you your intended use, I would assume a rack grade would hit human size targets out 400M with irons no problem. Getting into competition just buy the National match. If you have the money and just want a nice gun get one of the upgraded ones.

I don't think the original AWB had the m14 listed at all, but I could be wrong.

If you want to compete at the National Matches you might want to consider something other than a SAI.
If budget is of no concern and you want a solid scope set up check out the LRB 25 receiver
http://www.lrbarms.com/m14receiversactions.html
Then build up a nice rifle from there.

Bula, James River and LRB make M14 variants with an integral rail. The Brookfield type mount is also a proven design. Sadlak's version of the Brookfield is the best out there and is recommended by Brookfield. They have a custom fit option as some receivers are out of spec at the mounting points.

I have a James River (forged by Bula) receivered rifle and the quality of the receiver is top notch. I have a Sadlak Airborne mounted on it that has held zero over 500 rounds. Some day I'd like to build an all Bula rifle.

Back
Top Bottom