• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lewiston, Maine police chief whinges about constitutional carry

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
Brian O'Malley, Whinger in Chief.
Chief: Change in gun law has ‘unintended consequence’
LEWISTON — The city’s police chief said Monday a change in state law three years ago allowing concealed gun carry without a permit has triggered a spike in reports of gun-related crimes.
Let's see the numbers and the sources of those alleged spikes.
Some people have turned in AK-47s to police because they had the guns and did not think they should.
1. Nope. 2. What?
“This is an issue where guns are now what used to be just a traffic accident and maybe some road rage and yelling, we’ve had people waving guns around at people,” O’Malley said. “We’re seeing this huge influx of guns being involved, when in years past there were some steps that we could take prior to it becoming shootouts that we’re having here in Lewiston.”
Generally, police respond _after_ shootouts.

I'm sure the people "waving guns around at people" were sure to obey carry laws prior to 2015.

Lewiston is a shithole and chock full of criminals and 3rd world garbage.

Haven't seen any uptick in issues in my neck of the woods, however the visual deterrent of a firearm might have helped people avoid trouble... headline "man beaten in road rage incident" turns into "SHOOTOUT ON I-95! NEWS AT 10 REPORTS!" and I'm more than fine with that; somebody has a fighting chance to fight back because they've got a ballistic equalizer? Excellent.

I bet the men beaten half to death by Somali "refugees" for being white in a park in downtown Lewiston wish they had a heater.

The smell of bullshit wafts strongly through the air. The truth of the matter is that the law abiding citizens of that city need all the guns they can get in order to avoid being "culturally enriched" by all the "refugees".

On my way north today I'd stop in to take some pictures of the place but opening a dumpster full of smelly garbage is the same thing. No need to add 25 extra miles to my trip just to prove a point.

Clearly the Chief should turn in his gun. What a dolt.

Somali colony in Maine??? Remind me what part of Somalia is butt-ass cold and full of snow again.
"
No one invited the Somali refugees to Lewiston.

They fled bullets and warlords to eventually be chosen for resettlement in big American cities, where they were unnerved by the crime and drugs and noise.

In early 2001, a few refugee families struggling to afford housing in Portland ventured 30 miles north and found a city in retreat. Empty downtown stores were ringed by sagging apartment buildings no longer needed to house workers because so few workers remained.
The refugees saw possibility in Lewiston’s decay. Word spread quickly, and friends and families followed. The town morphed in a matter of months into a laboratory for what happens when culture suddenly shifts. Maine’s population is 94 percent white, and its citizens were abruptly confronted with hundreds of black Muslims, traumatized by war and barely able to speak English.

Ardo Mohamed came to Lewiston in 2001. She fled Mogadishu in the 1990s, when militiamen burst into the home she shared with her parents and nine siblings, and started shooting. She watched her father die, as the rest of the family escaped into the woods. They wound up in overcrowded refugee camps, separated for years, then finally Atlanta, then Lewiston. Now she fries sambusas with her sister at a shop she owns downtown.

“We wanted to be safe,” said the mother of five, “just like you do.”

When the refugees began arriving, Tabitha Beauchesne was a student at Lewiston High School. Her new classmates were poor, but Beauchesne was poor, too. She grew up in a struggling family in housing projects downtown. It felt to her then, and it still feels to her now, that the refugees got more help than her family.
“They just seemed to take over,” she said. She doesn’t consider herself racist, though acknowledges that race and religion likely play a role in her sense that the refugees overwhelmed her community. The African Muslims, many of whom wear hijabs, stand out far more than her French-Canadian ancestors did when they arrived generations ago, she said.

That perception — one of being inundated by a culture so different from her own — ingrained in her a sense of injustice so deep it persists to this day. She’s now a stay-at-home mother of two, and she left Lewiston to move to another school district in the county because she believes the refugee students monopolize teachers’ attention.

Once a Barack Obama supporter, Beauchesne turned to Trump — and she cheers his efforts to curb the flow of refugees into the United States. She wants Trump to design a tax system that funnels less of her money to aiding those from other countries.

“I just don’t like giving money away that’s not benefiting me and, not to sound selfish, but then seeing it benefit other people,” she said. “As a business owner, my husband wouldn’t donate $500 to the Salvation Army if we couldn’t afford it. Our country needs to do the same thing.”

Taxpayers do help refugee families. Maine offers a welfare program called General Assistance, a combination of state and city funds, which provides impoverished people with vouchers for rent, utilities and food.
How a community changed by refugees came to embrace Trump

Its not.....Oblunder plunked down a bunch of "refugees" all around the country and gave them welfare/$$$'s to keep them there

Why would they leave when uncle sugar is paying them to do nothing.....especially when quality of life is palacial compared to somalia
They actually started arriving in large part during the Clinton years. They started moving into Maine in the 2000s.

The article you're quoting describes how the influx of Somali refugees into Lewiston converted Androscoggin County from Democrat to Republican, going for President Trump in the 2016 election.
The article informs the uninformed about the large Somali population in Lewiston, it was the first of many that popped up when i googles Somali's in Lewiston,Me.

Lewiston Maine, Circa 2014:

_56403976_10_p_biro_somalia10.jpg

Hardest part was teaching them to pronounce "Lobstah" and stop wiping with their hands...

It's code. He's talking about Somalis as Lewiston is now a Somali colony. That's my guess, anyway.

That makes way more sense now. Waving guns at people and shooting up the place is kind of a Somali cultural thing at this point, isn't it?

Somali colony in Maine??? Remind me what part of Somalia is butt-ass cold and full of snow again.

Same part as Minnesota. I think it was an attempt at genocide that didn't work quite as well as they wanted.

Getting off the Somali bashing (my daughter went to Bates; I know the region well)...

"Before the law change, if someone from out of state were in the city and intending cause harm or otherwise break a law, police were able to arrest him or her for gun possession if the person lacked a concealed
carry permit."

Wait...how did they know they were "intending [to] cause harm?" Are they now employing mind readers? If there's probable cause to say those bad, bad "out of staters" were intending harm, can't they arrest them for that?

It's code. He's talking about Somalis as Lewiston is now a Somali colony. That's my guess, anyway.
I have been there. I would highly encourage all to go there, you have to see it to believe it. The Left can call me what they want, I don't give a crap but I would film a day in the life of Lewiston Maine and play it all across America and ask folks "is this what your vision is for America?" Because Lewiston Maine if the Leftist view of what America should be.

"Before the law change, if someone from out of state were in the city and intending cause harm or otherwise break a law, police were able to arrest him or her for gun possession if the person lacked a concealed
carry permit."

And the permit some how magically stopped someone from doing harm or getting a gun on the black market. Got it.

I have been there. I would highly encourage all to go there, you have to see it to believe it. The Left can call me what they want, I don't give a crap but I would film a day in the life of Lewiston Maine and play it all across America and ask folks "is this what your vision is for America?" Because Lewiston Maine if the Leftist view of what America should be.
and Liberals hate us because we're supposedly anti-gay marriage, anti-abortion and pro gun but they think Muslims are wonderful. Do they realize Muslims are not exactly fond of gays and abortion?

How many here have spent any time at all in Lewiston? Raise your hand.

There's me and maybe one or two others.
I live a half hour from downtown Lewiston. The Chief sounds like an idiot. Never heard a peep out of him until now. Lewiston is not a shit hole. It had a bad reputation in the 70's and 80's as a run-down failed mill town. Back 30 years ago Lower Lisbon Street wasn't a place to take your family for an outing, but now it's a pretty nice little city. Yes, you see a few Somalis walking around; BFD. I don't care for them living off of my hard-earned tax money, but there are more home-grown leaches than there are African.

How many here have spent any time at all in Lewiston? Raise your hand.

There's me and maybe one or two others.
I live a half hour from downtown Lewiston. The Chief sounds like an idiot. Never heard a peep out of him until now. Lewiston is not a shit hole. It had a bad reputation in the 70's and 80's as a run-down failed mill town. Back 30 years ago Lower Lisbon Street wasn't a place to take your family for an outing, but now it's a pretty nice little city. Yes, you see a few Somalis walking around; BFD. I don't care for them living off of my hard-earned tax money, but there are more home-grown leaches than there are African.

I've been there many times as my daughter had friends at Bates College. She did not go to Bates herself. I would describe Lewiston as drab and truly depressing in the winter. It's easy to defend African immigrants if your child doesn't have to go to school with them where they suck up disproportionate amounts of attention and resources.

Diversity is absolutely great...viewed from a distance. I'll admit I have strong feelings on this as my home town is Birmingham, UK. I've already seen the USA in 2100.

Goodbye UK Birmingham 1940 2017.png

I've been there many times as my daughter had friends at Bates College. She did not go to Bates herself. I would describe Lewiston as drab and truly depressing in the winter. It's easy to defend African immigrants if your child doesn't have to go to school with them where they suck up disproportionate amounts of attention and resources.

Diversity is absolutely great...viewed from a distance. I'll admit I have strong feelings on this as my home town is Birmingham, UK. I've already seen the USA in 2100.

View attachment 240743
Not sure I'm actually defending African immigrants. I'm just saying Lewiston has the same faults as any other former industrial city in New England, and those faults were there way before the Somalis came to town.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't think it's any drabber or more depressing than any other similar-sized cities in New England in the Winter.

Back
Top Bottom