• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Letter of reference...........

Depends if your town puts further restrictions on the letters. Find out from your local PD exactly what they require.

My town is Jolly Green giant green so I don't think anything special would be needed. Would "hey chief, John here is a good shit. I lend him my guns all the time." [laugh]

There should also be a Sticky in the forum where this thread actually belongs that will give you lots of good info on this topic.

My town is Jolly Green giant green so I don't think anything special would be needed. Would "hey chief, John here is a good shit. I lend him my guns all the time." [laugh]

My town is also very green (Hell, they specifically tell you on their website that you should apply for LTC-A ALP straight off the bat), and still requires:

New applicants for Class A or B License to Carry must bring 2 letters of recommendation.
  • Letters should be on letterhead if possible, from a responsible non-family member stating that they feel you are a fit person to be licensed to carry firearms.
  • Letters must include: The word “firearm”, your name, and the length of time the person writing the letter has known you.

So, it still depends on your town. Please refer to the MA Laws section of this forum.

I still cant believe this is even being discussed. I'd blow a nut out going off on a C.O.P. that told me he wants references to allow me to use my gddamn rights.

I still cant believe this is even being discussed. I'd blow a nut out going off on a C.O.P. that told me he wants references to allow me to use my gddamn rights.

Not if you live in MA and wanted a LTC in a town that required a letter. We know that you really aren't one of them big talkin' keyboard commandos that lives in his mother's basement and eats nothin' but Twinkies and pizza and has a big bad screen name...we know ure justa funnen' us, right ? [wink]

It varies by town. Some want it on letterhead, others don't care if it is from "Epstein's mother".

I wrote one for someone once. Does anyone know if they have any legal ramifications on the letter writer?

Not if you live in MA and wanted a LTC in a town that required a letter. We know that you really aren't one of them big talkin' keyboard commandos that lives in his mother's basement and eats nothin' but Twinkies and pizza and has a big bad screen name...we know ure justa funnen' us, right ? [wink]
Yup, everyone on the internet is a pussy, you have it figured out, congrats. I couldnt care less if I got denied after that, just another thing that speeds up my plan to get the hell out of this nanny state.

I use to write these for people

Header/logo

June 28, 2011

XXXX Police Department
XXXX, MA 00000
ATTN: Chief of Police

Dear Sir,

This is a letter of recommendation introducing XXXXXX X. XXXXX, of City, MA.

XXXXXXX X. XXXXX was a student of mine in the NRA Home Firearm Safety Course on June 28, 2011. XXXXXX completed all the NRA course requirements, including a written examination on personal protection, hunter education, and home firearm safety (including handguns, rifles, and shotguns).

He was taught personal firearm safety, basic hunter education, range safety operations, proper storage of firearms and ammunition, firearm maintenance, and also the introduction to the Massachusetts Firearm Laws 140-21A through 140-21C.

I found XXXXXX X. XXXXX is willing to accept responsibility in the handling of firearms. He demonstrates good safety skills in firearm handling, understanding of the laws to carry, and is willing to follow proper instruction.

I’m giving XXXXXX X. XXXXX a recommendation to apply for the license to Carry permit (LTC) Class A.

Please feel free to contact me at any time if you have any questions, (508)555-1234

Best Regards,

JoeT
Massachusetts/NRA Certified Instructor

My town also required a letter of request and 2 letters of recommendation.
Who must they be from?
My town stated a non-family member.

This is one of mine, good luck:

March 12th 2011

In regards to: Joe Shmoe’s Firearms License Application

X Town Police Department
1 Main Avenue
Town, Massachusetts XXXXX

To Whom It May Concern:

Jo Shmoe has asked me to provide a recommendation letter for his Massachusetts Class A Firearms license. I am not related to Joe but have known him since we were classmates at X High School and consider him a very close friend. He is a respected family man and a hard worker who is extremely reliable, trustworthy, and composed.

I believe Joe to be of good character and that he will accept the responsibilities involved in firearm ownership seriously and know of no reason why he should not be granted a Massachusetts Class A Firearms license. I am confident that Joe Shmoe will be a responsible firearm owner and carrier.

Please feel free to contact me with any further questions at: XXX-XXX-XXXX

Sincerely,

Best Friend X
4 Easy Street
Town, MA XXXXX

Last edited:
Yup, everyone on the internet is a pussy, you have it figured out, congrats. I couldnt care less if I got denied after that, just another thing that speeds up my plan to get the hell out of this nanny state.

No I just got you figured out [laugh] the bigger the talk the smaller the walk...seen too many guys like that in too many bars back on the day.

Since you couldn't care less I know you won't even bother to reply.

Well, it unfortunately wouldn't be so simple. Any denial will follow you forever...

Good call.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mark056 again.

Another reason why I stayed with the FID. Do not want to deal with that special brand of happy horses**t from a police chief who is paid for by my tax dollars!

Back
Top Bottom