Letter from Alliant powder

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, January 10, 2014 9:55 AM
To: Alliant Reloading
Subject: Alliant Powder - Ask the Expert Form

When will Reloader 15 be available again?
I have looked for months and nothing.
Just wondering the reason.
Thanks, Mike

Mike,

Right now the plants are running 24/7 and we are making propellant as fast as is possible. Once a product leaves our docks it goes to the distributor. From there we have no control on where it may go. Be patient, keep checking the shelves. We have seen shortages like this in the past and they lasted around a year in time. Hopefully the hoarding of powder and other shooting supplies (ie. Bullets, ammo, primers and other supplies) will be ending soon. Also you will find a letter explaining some of shortages.
Thanks for the question,

Shoot Straight
DuaneVB
CCI/SPEER/ALLIANT POWDER
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID
1-800-276-9337

SPORTING GROUP

Dear Valued Customer,

As you are aware, the unprecedented demand for commercial ammunition has exceeded the industry’s
ability to service the marketplace in the near term and has resulted in an industry‐wide shortage at most
retail outlets. With more than 2,000 dedicated employees working diligently around the clock, we
continue to take appropriate action across our manufacturing enterprise to increase and align
production capacity in response to this demand and, ultimately, service your needs – this is our first
priority!
Despite our consistent and dedicated efforts, there remains much speculation and misinformation
regarding the availability of commercial ammunition. In one example, there are a vocal few who believe
that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is buying excessive quantities of ammunition thereby
restricting availability to the commercial market. Simply stated, this is a false and baseless claim. In fact,
we do supply the DHS with a small percentage of ammunition in select calibers consistent with our
contractual requirements. However, the commercial market receives the vast majority of ammunition
produced to serve the needs of civilian hunters and shooting sports enthusiasts.
As a committed partner to the shooting sports industry, we thank you for your support in dispelling
unfounded rumors relating to the supply and demand of commercial ammunition. We continue to
support the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) in representing the legislative interests of our
industry.
It is our mission to provide top‐quality ammunition and accessories for hunters, sport shooters and to
those who protect our country and neighborhoods. For current information regarding our brands and
products, please visit the Q&A pages on our websites:
http://www.federalpremium.com/company/faq.aspx
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/education/faqs.aspx
http://www.speer-ammo.com/general/faq.aspx
http://www.speer-bullets.com/

As you are aware, the unprecedented demand for commercial ammunition has exceeded the industry’s
ability to service the marketplace in the near term and has resulted in an industry‐wide shortage at most
retail outlets. With more than 2,000 dedicated employees working diligently around the clock, we
continue to take appropriate action across our manufacturing enterprise to increase and align
production capacity in response to this demand and, ultimately, service your needs – this is our first
priority!

And that's why prices will not drop anytime in the foreseeable future. No reason to lower pricing when you are cranking it out around the clock and still can't keep up with demand, they're virtually printing money.

And that's why prices will not drop anytime in the foreseeable future. No reason to lower pricing when you are cranking it out around the clock and still can't keep up with demand, they're virtually printing money.

There's nothing wrong with the pricing, actually, when you can get it, because with mats most of the middlemen are gone and the few that exist aren't price gouging *******s. When I can find the stuff I want, the pricing isn't really much worse than it was pre sandy-hook.

-Mike

True, but I see so many people still whining about the pricing and saying they're going to wait for them to get back down to some ridiculously low pre-2008 price. That ain't happening.

True, but I see so many people still whining about the pricing and saying they're going to wait for them to get back down to some ridiculously low pre-2008 price. That ain't happening.

I just want the powder.
My post was not about a money issue.
I did not mean to make it out that way.

Mike

No problems finding rifle powders... it's pistol powders that are giving me fits.

Rileys has a bunch.

Before you get too excited, when I was up there a couple of weeks ago they were still doing a one container limit on powder. So if its only 1 pound jugs you can buy one. Also best to call ahead and have them put whatever you're looking for aside so its still there when you get there. I almost didn't get my varget 20 minutes after I called to confirm they had some. One was left when I got there.

it would be nice if they let you know ATK or who ever the contract is with now makes powder for them and they dont manufacture it themselves might explain a longer wait?
I might be wrong but I was under the impression and from what could muster up myself there are only 2 plants manufacturing gun powder in the US under contracts through ATK or BAE ? Also these companies lease the equipment from what I understand from the US government @ lake city plant and in radford VA.
I dont know if ATK owns alliant ? they might?
Off topic but poke around ATK web site and they own a ton of companies. Savage being one of them. http://www.atk.com/products-services/firearms/
So if this is true that powder is being manufactured at US Gubment facilities, well at anytime they can F us right there. Then imported ammo from canada, france and australia will really increase in cost.!

it would be nice if they let you know ATK or who ever the contract is with now makes powder for them and they dont manufacture it themselves might explain a longer wait?
I might be wrong but I was under the impression and from what could muster up myself there are only 2 plants manufacturing gun powder in the US under contracts through ATK or BAE ? Also these companies lease the equipment from what I understand from the US government @ lake city plant and in radford VA.
I dont know if ATK owns alliant ? they might?
Off topic but poke around ATK web site and they own a ton of companies. Savage being one of them. http://www.atk.com/products-services/firearms/
So if this is true that powder is being manufactured at US Gubment facilities, well at anytime they can F us right there. Then imported ammo from canada, france and australia will really increase in cost.!

I don't think Alliant is owned by ATK. Reloader 15 and AR Comp are made in Sweden, not sure about their other powders.

I don't think Alliant is owned by ATK. Reloader 15 and AR Comp are made in Sweden, not sure about their other powders.
Yeah basically my point was alliant is not making the powder. They are at the mercy of who ever they contracted the production from. Sweadish,French, Australian US or what have you.....still sucks no matter who makes it. I have been waiting on my back ordered varget since Nov 2012.

I have been waiting on my back ordered varget since Nov 2012.

did you order like a metric short ton or something?? I've bought varget twice last year and seen available it at more than one LGS large and small when I wasn't buying it. Your order may have gone stale, maybe you need to rattle their cage.

did you order like a metric short ton or something?? I've bought varget twice last year and seen available it at more than one LGS large and small when I wasn't buying it. Your order may have gone stale, maybe you need to rattle their cage.
6 8lb jugs recieved a email dec 10th 2013 confirming they will up hold the price as ordered nov 2012. They said I would have it no later than july of 2013 in aug I called and they told me they where promised a full order and only recieved a few lbs. its now been over a year. They claim to buy direct from manufacture ??????

Last edited:

Alliant is definitely an ATK company. Course production of some of the powders could be outsourced, too.

-Mike

Alliant is definitely an ATK company. Course production of some of the powders could be outsourced, too. -Mike

Yep, the address on the bottle is one of the ATK owned plants. I never knew that.

http://www.atk.com/locations/new-river-energetics-radford-va/

AR-Comp is Swedish, RE-15, Bullseye, Unique, and 2400 say "made with pride in the USA" on the bottle. That's interesting because I was under the impression that AR-Comp was just a short kernel version of RE-15. (Maybe it is, but it's obviously made somewhere else.)

Last edited:
Yep, the address on the bottle is one of the ATK owned plants. I never knew that.

http://www.atk.com/locations/new-river-energetics-radford-va/

AR-Comp is Swedish, RE-15, Bullseye, Unique, and 2400 say "made with pride in the USA" on the bottle. That's interesting because I was under the impression that AR-Comp was just a short kernel version of RE-15. (Maybe it is, but it's obviously made somewhere else.)

With only 2 plants in the US I don't see relief anytime soon......God bless.

Back
Top Bottom