Let's see those budget build AR's

NES Member
This was a budget build that I just finished last night. I know it's not exactly a high quality AR but it's a great build for the price.

I picked up the lower from a NES'r in Jan of 2011 for $100. It's a Olympic Arms PCR. I had a spare BCG and charging handle kicking around and picked up the dissipator with YHM BUIS and Vortex flash hider last night off another NES'r for $325.

So here it is, my $425 build.

2012-11-18_20-05-46_193.jpg

I need to build my 1st AR as a budget build. I still can't decide on anything. I am worse than a woman. I have 3 LRB lowers and 1 DGW lower sitting in my safe, and I don't know what to do with any of them.

$425 for a complete rifle though sounds good to me.

Point me in that direction.

1335554710.jpg

NES Remsport Lower was a wedding present from my bestman
Upper -BCG was $350 from a NESer
BCG is out of a NESers brand new M&P that he upgraded the bolt $50
The optics are off of a 22 I had from way back.

Grand total $400 not too shabby I'd say

I need to build my 1st AR as a budget build. I still can't decide on anything. I am worse than a woman. I have 3 LRB lowers and 1 DGW lower sitting in my safe, and I don't know what to do with any of them.

When the zombies come you could always hit the over the head with the lowers... might kill them? :)

watch the AR15 Equipment Exchange too. I just bought a complete piston upper for 500

watch the AR15 Equipment Exchange too. I just bought a complete piston upper for 500

^ This - was just going to recommend keeping an eye on the Equipment Exchange. Some great deals can be had on there - just have to check frequently because the good stuff moves fast. Great if you need to sell something too. I had to sell a Troy AR handguard an Ace buttstock and both sold within a few hours of being posted.

Total only: $741 for this beast, minus the mags. NES 2012 Lower, Del-ton Rifle length upper (Midway) with YHM handguards, MFT Grip & YHM muzzle brake all from eBay and a DPMS LPK.

Oh yeah, and $611 in optics. Whoops.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353527094.328113.jpg

Shoots well!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353527322.217096.jpg

Last edited:
and a DPMS LPK.

How is your DPMS LPK? I bought one last night, and installed it into my LRB Arms lower today. Everything seemed to fit good. Was just curious how the trigger is.

For my next build, I am going to go with a much fancier/higher end LPK/trigger group for sure, but I figured for my very 1st AR, the DPMS will work just fine.

This was a budget build that I just finished last night. I know it's not exactly a high quality AR but it's a great build for the price.

I picked up the lower from a NES'r in Jan of 2011 for $100. It's a Olympic Arms PCR. I had a spare BCG and charging handle kicking around and picked up the dissipator with YHM BUIS and Vortex flash hider last night off another NES'r for $325.

So here it is, my $425 build.

I just wanted to say, I'm an AR noob and building my first AR right now. I've been going back and forth trying to decide what upper configuration to go with and this post has settled it. I didn't even know what a Dissipator was before seeing this...now I just have to find someone that has them in stock!

I just wanted to say, I'm an AR noob and building my first AR right now. I've been going back and forth trying to decide what upper configuration to go with and this post has settled it. I didn't even know what a Dissipator was before seeing this...now I just have to find someone that has them in stock!

1. Check Gunbroker, there are a few uppers on there in the $400 area.

2. Who is that in your avatar.

^ This - was just going to recommend keeping an eye on the Equipment Exchange. Some great deals can be had on there - just have to check frequently because the good stuff moves fast. Great if you need to sell something too. I had to sell a Troy AR handguard an Ace buttstock and both sold within a few hours of being posted.

Where is this? It was suggested to me before, but I could not find this "equipment exchange".

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving.

2. Who is that in your avatar.

I will be disappointed if I ever meet "AlmostElmo" at an NES event, and he does not look like that.

Last edited:
How is your DPMS LPK? I bought one last night, and installed it into my LRB Arms lower today. Everything seemed to fit good. Was just curious how the trigger is.

For my next build, I am going to go with a much fancier/higher end LPK/trigger group for sure, but I figured for my very 1st AR, the DPMS will work just fine.

I have a DPMS LPK in my current AR. No problems whatsever. The trigger on it is fine - milspec, not very gritty/sticky/etc. I have maybe a thousand rounds through mine so it is pretty smooth. I have a White Oak Armament LPK minus trigger group on the way for my next build, and I am going with a Geissele trigger which should be a nice improvement. Overall though, the DPMS is a fine LPK, especially for the money.

- - - Updated - - -

Where is this? It was suggested to me before, but I could not find this "equipment exchange".

When you go on AR15.com, look to the right on the same toolbar at the top as AR15, AK47, Handgun, Armory etc. - it's on the right, big orange button.

The trigger has been great, though I am not real experienced in AR's. Our first build was only the second one I have ever shot, but I am getting very tight groups at the far end of our range and having a blast.

I ordered the same for our DGW lower, though I will add the Magpul Trigger Guard (why not for 8 bucks?).

My 1st AR and 1st build. Wanted it to be a budget and with the LRB upper and lower group buy, thought it might. Found out, not so much[sad2]
Came in under $700.00 but gained some knowledge and enjoyed the 3 month journey.
Picture002-1.jpg

Last edited:
The trigger has been great, though I am not real experienced in AR's. Our first build was only the second one I have ever shot, but I am getting very tight groups at the far end of our range and having a blast.

I ordered the same for our DGW lower, though I will add the Magpul Trigger Guard (why not for 8 bucks?).

Yeah I added the Magpul Moe trigger guard on my lower for $8.99. I like the looks of it too.

Good "plus" about the MOE trigger guard is it fills the annoying gap behind a factory trigger guard and the grip, so your finger won't get chewed up if not using gloves. I like mine a lot.

Back
Top Bottom