LEOSA this is a great law

It would have been nice if it had been CCW's not just LE's.

I fully agree . . . to a point.

LEOSA was written for FOP Union Members and thus is very poorly written to even cover officers. Also, having been aware of the attempts to pass this ever since the early 1990s, it was very difficult to get into law (took almost 15 years) as is. Attempts to change it have died on the vine since passage too.

True but again there are other fed laws that cover you for inter state carry. pending you follow them IE direct control and or locks but there are others that i dont think to be carring guns that do. But hey thats me.

I benefit from LEOSA, because I work for a government agency, have statutory power of arrest, and am authorized by the agency to carry firearms.

I fought against LEOSA, because I consider it an unconstitutional violation of the 10th Amendment. I was something of "the enemy" within the LE community because of that in the years leading up the actual passage in 2004. Yes, I benefit from it and I take advantage of that fact when traveling, but I will continue to believe every resident of America should have the same right, and that I should have no special advantage just because of my job.

I am curious if this law flies in NYC? They seem to have their own version of everything.

It's not respected there. They will arrest people there and let the courts deal with it. Although no convictions that I know of, there are lots of expensive dismissals.

It's not respected there. They will arrest people there and let the courts deal with it. Although no convictions that I know of, there are lots of expensive dismissals.

Depends on where you are. It has been my experience that it is respected - at least at the airport when declaring a firearm. YMMV

Depends on where you are. It has been my experience that it is respected - at least at the airport when declaring a firearm. YMMV

That's the MTA (transit) which is separate from NYPD. All of the LEOSA issues I have heard about are NYPD so that could explain the discrepancy.

Transit cops on the other hand have a significant contempt of FOPA despite that one would think they of all people should be up on that given they police all of the transit stops in all of the boroughs from PATH, LIRR, bridges, tunnels, ports and airports. If you are traveling through NYC you can't skip traveling through one of their domains.

That's the MTA (transit) which is separate from NYPD. All of the LEOSA issues I have heard about are NYPD so that could explain the discrepancy.

Transit cops on the other hand have a significant contempt of FOPA despite that one would think they of all people should be up on that given they police all of the transit stops in all of the boroughs from PATH, LIRR, bridges, tunnels, ports and airports. If you are traveling through NYC you can't skip traveling through one of their domains.

I'll have to admit I didn't look closely at their patches, they looked like regular PD, much like our own Boston Transit cops. I was concerned when the counter agent actually called them and they arrived in a cruiser. Interesting exchange, but no drama.

I'll have to admit I didn't look closely at their patches, they looked like regular PD, much like our own Boston Transit cops. I was concerned when the counter agent actually called them and they arrived in a cruiser. Interesting exchange, but no drama.

You would have had to have been really paying close attention. Their uniforms are identical except for the patches.
NYPD patch: http://2log.biz/img/upload/2008/Dec/NYPD_LOGO.jpg
MTA patch: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/134/324751137_8f4f81e12b.jpg

This is a story about NYPD riding the subways http://queenscrap.blogspot.com/2009/12/cops-riding-trains-out-of-city.html
Note the pic from the NY POST is of a transit cop. [grin] No one can tell the difference.

But all of this belies the real point, why are they calling cops when someone checks a gun? On the way OUT of NYC??? This is a violation of the 4th amendment in that it has nothing to do with the security of the airplane. It's the same underlying principle underlying the prohibition of DHS/TSA questioning people for cash in hand. Hence why so many rerouted passengers have so many problems with this when they try to recheck their bags if they got stranded on a reroute. But most of these problems are FOPA related of course.

You would have had to have been really paying close attention. Their uniforms are identical except for the patches.
NYPD patch: http://2log.biz/img/upload/2008/Dec/NYPD_LOGO.jpg
MTA patch: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/134/324751137_8f4f81e12b.jpg

This is a story about NYPD riding the subways http://queenscrap.blogspot.com/2009/12/cops-riding-trains-out-of-city.html
Note the pic from the NY POST is of a transit cop. [grin] No one can tell the difference.

But all of this belies the real point, why are they calling cops when someone checks a gun? On the way OUT of NYC??? This is a violation of the 4th amendment in that it has nothing to do with the security of the airplane. It's the same underlying principle underlying the prohibition of DHS/TSA questioning people for cash in hand. Hence why so many rerouted passengers have so many problems with this when they try to recheck their bags if they got stranded on a reroute. But most of these problems are FOPA related of course.

My point exactly. Anyway, I agree with what you're saying, but it is what it is (for now). I try not to ever fly to NYC for this reason. I'm fortunate to have this out, but it sucks that its even needed.

Well, I dont know about arrests (For LEOSA)... However, I've gotten secondhand reports that "detainment and lots of phone calls while you wait" is also a norm. Basically, the idea being they will let you go, but the whole experience is to discourage you from ever doing it again. [rolleyes]

As far as FOPA goes you couldn't pay me enough money to even attempt checking a gun onto a plane there. If I got rerouted there and stranded I'd just rent a car and get out of dodge. It's the only safe way to deal with NYC airports with guns.

-Mike

Last edited:
I fully agree . . . to a point.

LEOSA was written for FOP Union Members and thus is very poorly written to even cover officers. Also, having been aware of the attempts to pass this ever since the early 1990s, it was very difficult to get into law (took almost 15 years) as is. Attempts to change it have died on the vine since passage too.

The only way this benefits me is 1. When I retire, I will still be able to carry (in theory). 2. It does not specify a specific firearm, so I could, again in theory, carry something other than my issued weapon. I'm good to go in all 50 states plus whatever territories we currently are laying claim to.

Then again, they gave me a pretty decent gun, HnK, that is small enough to conceal, so I just carry that anyway.

I do kind of agree with the 10th aspect, but it's kind of a conflict to me. States taking away the 2nd, and this law encroaching on the 10th but enforcing the 2nd. *sigh*

It is a fed law which trumps state law all tho most officers do not know who is covered and what the law states. That is why we need get it out that the law is around and who is covered.

It is a fed law which trumps state law all tho most officers do not know who is covered and what the law states. That is why we need get it out that the law is around and who is covered.

How do most officers not know by now especially in states like NY where they obviously have no regard for federal law or their fellow officers? The criteria is simple ...

1. Be a police officer with statutory powers of arrest.
2. Be allowed by department policy to carry a firearm.
3. Not be under investigation by the department for criminal activity.

Proof of #1 will be a department issued ID and #'s 2 & 3 can be resolved with a quick call to the department. I don't see how this is complex at all.

How do most officers not know by now especially in states like NY where they obviously have no regard for federal law or their fellow officers? The criteria is simple ...

1. Be a police officer with statutory powers of arrest.
2. Be allowed by department policy to carry a firearm.
3. Not be under investigation by the department for criminal activity.

Proof of #1 will be a department issued ID and #'s 2 & 3 can be resolved with a quick call to the department. I don't see how this is complex at all.

That

Back
Top Bottom