legality of building a 1911

jon

Alright,

I have been thinking about building a 1911 style pistol.

I was wondering the legality of this. I have searched. Specifically I was wondering if building on a Caspian frame would be legal as it is not on the EOPS list?

Jon

To add to what Chris said:

you can do it, you need to purchase the slide/frame/components from Caspian or whoever you chose individually. As Chris points out under MA law they-(frame, etc.) are not considered a gun until assembled into one.

You will need an FFL as most manufacturers such as Caspian will not ship components to individuals. Depending on your FFL they may want to file an FA-10 on the frame-this is not required legally but some want CYA. I think some providers such as Caspian may want a letter from either you or the FFL stating that you plan to use the components for target shooting. If you want Caspian check their web site or give them a call they are nice to deal with.

Once you or your pistol-smith have assembled the components into a complete gun you are required to register it via FA-10 within 7 days just like any other firearm.

You will need an FFL as most manufacturers such as Caspian will not ship components to individuals.

"Most?"

It is a violation of Federal law to ship a frame, which constitutes a "gun" under Federal law, across state lines directly to an individual. All interstate transfers other than inheritance require an FFL; for handguns, the FFL must be in the receiver's state.

Don't mean to hijack the thread... Could I legally build a gun that is not "approved" from acquired parts? Acquired meaning just that. Handle, Trigger, barrel bought from various sources?

Don't mean to hijack the thread... Could I legally build a gun that is not "approved" from acquired parts? Acquired meaning just that. Handle, Trigger, barrel bought from various sources?

Of course. Knock yourself out.

Just file the FA-10 upon completion.

Back
Top Bottom