Legal?

Hi everyone im new to this website and have a question about a buying a ak47 from a friends friend. I have searched the web and forums but cant get a clear answer on this. So maybe some of you could clear up my confusion? So any way its a custom built ak. The lower reciver is stamped 1982 (pre-ban) it has a threaded barrel and a m16 style flash suppresor not welded on. Theres a 30rd mag, pistol grip, NATO stock,double hook tapco trigger, its got the cleaning rod but no actual lug for a bayonet. Is this rifle illegal? I live in upstate NY as well. We were out shooting one day on a friends property and long story short after the enviormental police an other showed up they wanted to see my friends ak and said its illegal because of the 'bayonet lug,pistol grip, hi-cap mag, flash suppresor' then after complimenting it they gave it back to him an everyone left. So im confused if this could potentially get me into trouble when out target shooting and whatnot if I decide to buy it??? By the way, I dont know if I posted this in the correct thread?

Without knowing more about the rifle, who knows, particularly if it was a home build and not an imported rifle. I am moving this into gun laws section.

-Mike

Mike, he lives in upstate NY, the NY laws forum might be more appropriate.

It says he lives there "as well". So I wasn't sure where to put it. The AWB between the states is pretty much the same anyways.

To the OP: What state do you reside in and where are you using the rifle? Does the rifle have a manufacturer, or is it just homebrew? If it is a build, unless you know the builder it may be difficult to know when it was made and whether or not it is really preban.

-Mike

Last edited:
It is a 'Nodak spud' reciver. I reside in NY state and theres a lot of quarrys and gullies friends and family own and from time to time the range. But if I buy it I will be at the range 90% of the time.

It is a 'Nodak spud' reciver. I reside in NY state and theres a lot of quarrys and gullies friends and family own and from time to time the range. But if I buy it I will be at the range 90% of the time.

It's probably a newer build then (I don't think Nodak was making receivers way back then before the ban!) and in that case, you will have to deal with the flash hider/exposed threads issue. In that case you will probably have to pin and weld a muzzle device (like a slant brake or other muzzle brake) on the end of it, or take the hider off and have the threads milled off the end of the barrel, or have a muzzle nut pinned and welded on. You cannot have exposed/usable threads or a flash hider on a post-ban rifle that has a pistol grip on it, if I understand NY law correctly- with their AWB being almost the same as MA's AWB.

I am guessing the "1982" thing comes from the kit that the gun was built off of, but the born on date of the receiver is what actually matters... so the gun is not pre ban by any stretch of the imagination.

-Mike

You need to determine if that company was even in business in 1982 but I am betting they weren't. In 1982 the vast majority of AKs were imports and even then it was a small handful. That company offers custom stamping which could explain the date.

Yea I highly doubt that company was around then too. But all that makes a lot of sence. Its a very nice looking rifle and performs amazingly but I dont want to deal with any trouble by having it. There is some serial numbers in front of the mag on the bottem of the reciver near the companys name. But the number on the left side of the reciver say 1982-xxxxxx? I see on the company website the said they cancelled the custom serial # program. So soes that mean the reciver is a'wana-be preban'???

Back
Top Bottom