Legal Shipping of Firearms & Ammo for Dummies 2016

CaseHardened

Banned
Legal Shipping of Firearms & Ammo for Dummies 2016

First of all I'm not a Lawyer. This is not Legal advice.

I welcome suggestions, and when I receive information that I feel advances the thread, I will update it as best I can. This advice is current as of January 2016.

And as this a Guide for Dummies, I will refrain from quoting laws and sub-chapters, lest both our heads explode.

Also, laws vary widely from State to State, even City to City. This Guide will address no local variations, but will focus exclusively on laws and regulations that affect all US Citizens.

This Guide applies to the Continental USA only.

I have investigated USPS and UPS. I've been told Fedex is similar to UPS, but have not verified this.

Note that shipping Firearms and Ammunition in the same box is never allowed.

I have gathered this information after combing many Web Sites, and speaking to fellow gun owners, collectors, FFL's, the USPS, UPS, and ATF. All were helpful, yet I received a great deal of information that was simply wrong. Gun Laws suck.

AMMUNITION:

Shipping Ammo to adults 21 or over who are legally able to own ammo is simple and inexpensive, if you know the tricks. Protect yourself: Get proof of age and a statement from them that they can legally own it.

USPS: No, never. The U S Postal Service will ship no ammo of any sort. No one can do it legally. Yet people do it all the time. Don't you do it.

UPS: UPS will ship common small arms cartridges, by Ground, and does not even charge a premium to do so ! You must have UPS come to you to pick it up, or you can drop it off at a real UPS Customer Center. That means no Mail Boxes Etc., no Staples, no Office Depot. And you must mark the box, clearly, ORM-D. You can print out a label from the UPS Web Site, or hand-mark the package per the guidelines:
https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/r...ging/guidelines/ammunition.html?WT.svl=SubNav I mark each box on all sides, but one side may be ok.

A Tip: Don't ask the Clerk for ORM-D labels. Most likely they will have no idea what you are talking about. If you insist, twenty minutes later a manager will appear with the labels in hand - just enough for today - never enough for next time. Just save everyone aggravation and mark the box yourself beforehand.

Another Tip: Citizens of Massachusetts are forbidden to ship each other ammo. Even a MA FFL-01 can't ship another MA FFL-01 Ammunition. Why ? It's the law - it does not have to make sense.

LONG-GUNS:

USPS: Shipping Long Guns is so inexpensive and easy by this method I stopped my research right there. The USPS Web Site explains it fairly well. Any legal owner of a Long Gun can ship their item via USPS to most FFL's - and only FFL's. I say "most" because there is a version of FFL called C&R FFL-03. You can ship a special subset of Long Guns to them - generally these Long Guns are over 50 years old. You cannot ship modern Long Guns to a C&R FFL-03.

UPS: I found shipping Long Guns so easy and inexpensive via USPS I have not researched UPS.

HAND GUNS:

USPS: This is a very inexpensive way for most FFL's to ship other FFL's Handguns. Form 1508 must be completed - it is simple and short: http://about.usps.com/forms/ps1508.pdf Unfortunately, Form 1508 makes it clear that C&R FFL-03's cannot utilize it to either ship or receive Handguns via USPS, even 50+ year-old C&R Handguns. Many well-known Mail Order Shops do ship C&R Handguns to C&R FFL-03 holders using Form 1508. I don't know how they do it. I would not. BTW, it is perfectly ok for a C&R holder to receive a Handgun mailed by USPS. The onus of legality is on the shipper.

And now the trickest part of all....

UPS: Potentially very easy, and reasonably priced - if you know how. The UPS requires no special forms. If you are the shipper, please, please get a copy of the recipient's FFL License before you ship. Legally, as long as the recipient is an FFL, and the shipper the legal owner, all is ok. I'm pretty sure the UPS is not asking for proof. BUT only C&R Handguns can go to a C&R FFL-03. No one can ship a modern handgun to a C&R FFL-03. Now, pay attention. You must have UPS come to you to pick it up, or you can drop it off at a real UPS Customer Center. That means no Mail Boxes Etc., no Staples, no Office Depot. And you must NOT mark the box ! It cannot disclose there is a Handgun inside. But you have got to TELL the Clerk you are shipping a Handgun !!. At which point the Clerk should inform you this package must (grab your wallet), ship OVERNIGHT ! $60 or more. Total Deal Killer. But wait... Sign up beforehand on UPS for an account. An account is free. You don't have to be a business. And no dues or ongoing fees. And print your label online, before you head to UPS - use Next Day Air Saver. Suddenly it's not $60+. Your price is often cut in HALF. Or more. Problem - Solved.

Ok, I've done my best. But help us ALL out here. Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
So make sure all firearms have one in the chamber safety off with lots of things that can catch the trigger in the box as well? Kidding I just remember the lady who shipped a hot revolver.

Thanks for the info man if I ever need it I know where to look now

This looks good except for the ammo part in Mass.

Mass law requires anyone selling ammo to have an ammo sellers' license, and there are no exemptions.
My understanding is that it doesn't even matter if you make money at it. Just the transfer of it without a license is considered selling, in any amount.

Add an "except in Mass" disclaimer to the ammo section and you're good.

Last edited:
OP - Nice job and thanks for the post. Ignore the junior moderators, they seem to be so spooked by the AG they're afraid to engage in legal activty.

This looks good except for the ammo part in Mass.

Mass law requires anyone selling ammo to have an ammo sellers' license, and there are no exemptions.
My understanding is that it doesn't even matter if you make money at it. Just the transfer of it without a license is considered selling, in any amount.

Add an "except in Mass" disclaimer to the ammo section and you're good.

This is true. Even a MA FFL-01 can't ship another MA resident Ammunition.

I'm not adding this right away because I want my initial thread to be universal in the USA.

I may create a revised Dummies Guide just for Mass Residents, but if someone else wants to do it, feel free. My thread is not copyrighted; feel free to use it, copy it, expand upon it.

UPDATE

Gave this more thought and decided it fit right in, primarily because this entire Forum is essentially based in Mass.

Thanks to EddieCoyle for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Can't ever be too educated on the laws. Thank you Martha for the informative post. [grin]
Often times it's hard to find quick answers in the laws section.

For UPS, you can request supplies via the free online account, so can always get a bunch of the ORM-D labels. Also, get the clear pouches that hold your labels, that way after you pay online and create the label, you print on standard 8.5x11" paper and stick in the pouch. For anything except ground shipping, you can schedule a pickup for the item at your location for free.

Thanks casehardened, I am an 03FFL and knew most of the stuff you posted, the UPS account to save on the next day air is a very good tip.

Ignore the idiots who think they know it all, as Eddie said the junior moderators, some people are what gives gun owners a bad name, stupid ignorant hayseeds. They will think they know it all and then when they get caught and prosecuted wonder why. Bet they don't do FA10's either. I have noticed that many times when you put out good info you get flamed.

Thanks casehardened, I am an 03FFL and knew most of the stuff you posted, the UPS account to save on the next day air is a very good tip.

Ignore the idiots who think they know it all, as Eddie said the junior moderators, some people are what gives gun owners a bad name, stupid ignorant hayseeds. They will think they know it all and then when they get caught and prosecuted wonder why. Bet they don't do FA10's either. I have noticed that many times when you put out good info you get flamed.

Jesus. Hyperbole much?

A couple of guys thought the OP might be a troll account, and suddenly they're "stupid ignorant hayseeds" who don't file FA10's? How'd you get there?

They're probably vegans, too, who hate their mothers...

I may or may not have been referring to the people who were making fun of the OP, I think there is a comma in the post that separates What Eddie said my comments. I am just commenting on the fact that there are many people who make fun of others, myself included, I have been know to make fun of others - is this one of those times or not.

I think when someone is trying to post valid helpful advice it should be taken seriously and encouraged rather than being made fun of.

I apologize for hurting anyone's feelings.

Last edited:
For those who have made it down this far, I'm tossing in a related issue. It has been covered over and over before, so it does not deserve a new thread - IMHO.

Ever have an Out-Of-State shop claim they can't ship Ammo to Mass ?

Cite this link from GOAL: http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/ammoinfo.html

I doubt it will help, but if enough of us email OOS Sellers that we'd like to do business with, this useful info from GOAL can't hurt.

Ammo to Mass is similar as guns to Mass Dealers or California Dealers, some sellers in other states won't ship to MA or CA do "punish" the gun owners to show the state a thing or two. How that shows a state that want NO guns at all in it, is beyond me.

The last thing we need is for a non-CMR to tranny into some form of House or Senate bill introduced by some liberal to make OOS sales illegal.

The pee-pee slapping letter by Coakley a while back scared a lot of people I guess.

The last thing we need is for a non-CMR to tranny into some form of House or Senate bill introduced by some liberal to make OOS sales illegal.

The pee-pee slapping letter by Coakley a while back scared a lot of people I guess.

I have a suspicion that the Interstate Commerce Clause of our Constitution is what protects us from at least some of the potential abuses the States can inflict on its citizens. That may be why a MA FFL-01 can't ship Ammunition Intra-State, but an Out-Of-State entity can ship Ammo into Mass.

Last edited:
fed ex is similar to UPS- must disclose that you are shipping a firearm. What do they do with this info? Nothing.

03's can ship to and rec. from other 03's or can ship direct to any FFL........

If it was some StoreFront UPS (in other words, Mail Boxes Etc.) they are correct.

But if it was a genuine UPS Customer Service Center, the Clerk is wrong.
I think they tried the UPS Store, which, as mentioned, really doesn't ship ammo. The depot in Shrewsbury had no issue. He did ask me what the orm-d was for, and I was honest. Still no issue.

Back
Top Bottom